Punctures ... That Arent

dynamictiger

Punctures ... That Arent

Postby dynamictiger » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:27 pm

Last time I raised this topic I kinda ended up getting swamped...

Perhaps this time it will be easier as I now know a lot more than I did last time.

Last year I started to get a raft of flats which I assumed where punctures. I changed my tyres and most of these 'punctures' stopped for a while.

Moving on, and remember I am still giving this cycling lark a bit of a go, so I am very noob so sorry if this is basic.

I got another 'puncture' this time I found a stone had goine into and worked its way into the tyre...Yeah a cause at last. Anyway, I had the bike booked in for a service so I had the shop change the tube and so on after I dug the stone out.

The shop filled the new tube and off I rode. That was about 3 weeks ago I suppose.

As the tube maintained good pressure I had no reason to touch it...until yesterday.

On my ride to work the tube suddenly lost pressure. Thinking I had a puncture as I had been riding through some glass I thought okay so pulled over to pump the tube up a bit to get to work. On undoing the presta valve the undoey threaded brass knurl fell off into my hand as the wire shaft had broken.

I have had this happen many times in the past and always blamed myself for leveraging with the hand pump or being a bit rough with my floor pump. However here is an instance where I have not touched the valve, all I have done is ride the bike and the valve has 'broken' for no apparent cause.

This is a mechanical item so there is no such thing as no apparent cause. There is simply cause I have not diagnosed as I am not sure where to start. So has anyone else had this type of failure repeatedly and if so how did you solve it?

foo on patrol

Re: Punctures ... That Arent

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:56 pm

Um no but the LBS could have bent it and then when the cap was screwed back on it would be possible to compound that bend and when you have screwed it off, it has snapped the shaft. :? That's as good as I can think of. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:08 pm

dynamictiger wrote: So has anyone else had this type of failure repeatedly and if so how did you solve it?
Yes. Solved it by a) using a screw on Lezyne pump head on a hose rather than those direct fit pumps; and b) using Scwalbe or Continental tubes rather than the budget Cheng Shin or whatever is cheapest...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

grantw

Postby grantw » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:28 pm

About six weeks ago I was replacing the worn rear tyre on my bike. Start to loosen the valve heard sudden hissing then the screw shot out and bounced around the shed while I cowered by the bike stand. But that's been the only time it's happened to me.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:23 pm

Sure it isn't a Conti tube? Their valve guts are removeable from the stem. Caught me a few times... :oops:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

grantw

Postby grantw » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:00 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Sure it isn't a Conti tube? Their valve guts are removeable from the stem. Caught me a few times... :oops:
:idea: It was in fact. Well at least now I know.

open roader

Postby open roader » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:03 pm

I get a lot of high speed road gravel and occasional decent sized rocks flung up at my by traffic passing by at 90/100 km/hr or faster......... quite a while back I copped 2 snapped off valve tips inside 6 months - purchased some valve caps and touch wood in a further 3.5 years I've copped plenty more shrapnel but no more valve damage......
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:47 pm

I am just thinking these are crap tubes/valves. Too many to be anything else and I do use caps. Just ordered some of the Maxis welter weights from Cell Bikes see if they are any better.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Sure it isn't a Conti tube? Their valve guts are removeable from the stem. Caught me a few times... :oops:
One time I got caught was when I was doing a supported tour and pumping up my tyres. There goes the removable valve into the dirt AHHH
Ok bike to side and fix and do I join that queue again or use my hand pump.... Hand pump won. Since that day I've only been caught one other time thanks to a Lezyne pump unscrewing the valve with it :roll:
Had a few loose valves that just needed nipping up and that's it
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810