Giant Defy Medium and Medium/Large Frame

camper1994

Giant Defy Medium and Medium/Large Frame

Postby camper1994 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:45 am

Hi,
I am looking to purchase a defy 1 Giant for an entry level bike. I am 178cm tall with a 82cm inseam. Looking at the charts that giant gives, it seems that I am possibly suited to both bikes.

LBS said that a medium was the correct size. They did not stock a Medium Large, and I want to check one out. My question is whether anyone with similar specs rides a M/L or are they more for people 6 feet.

AlMac

Re: Giant Defy Medium and Medium/Large Frame

Postby AlMac » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:58 pm

I am 180cm tall. Not sure about inseam, but I am proportioned within the normal range.

I've been riding a Giant Defy Medium/Large for 3 years. It is close to a perfect fit for me. I found the Medium clearly too small.

At your height, you need to ride both and then decide. I would absolutely not be just buying the Medium without riding the M/L.

A bike shop can guide you for fit, but only you can make the final decision. To do that, you have to ride both.

Often it is very obvious which is the better fit (fortunately in my case that is how it has been on each of my bikes). But also bear in mind that you might need to add or take a space out or swap or flip a stem to get it just right - not necessarily go up or down a size.

A proper bike fit by a professional bike fitter will tell you what size frame you need (so generally not your bike shop employee by just looking at you) and you can work with that as a base and change things like saddle position, stem and bars.

camper1994

Postby camper1994 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:45 am

Thanks Al Mac,
I'm going to follow your advice exactly with a professional bike fitment and spend some time on a couple of test bikes. Even though I am only buying an entry level bike, i think the money will be justified as my last road bike was over sized. It takes too much enjoyment out of it with a wrong size bike. Regards and thanks for your response.

arkle

Postby arkle » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:32 am

I'm 178cm and I tried both an M and an ML. The M was clearly too small. I got the ML. It's great.

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:09 pm

I'm 177.8 and ride a Medium TCR with a 110 stem.

Gandalf

Postby Gandalf » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:15 pm

I have ben riding a Giant Defy Alliance 1 for 2 years now ( av 300/400k p/w) and am about 180cm.
Find it to be a great fit and love the bike.

Gandalf....Kevin

ratter

Postby ratter » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:14 pm

I'm 183 cm and have been riding a Medium defy for nearly 3 years, I did have a bit fit a year ago which ended up with a seat post with more setback to compliment the 10 mm longer stem I had previously fitted, the final position was ok but I have just upgraded to a M/l defy to get everything 100%

Benny_SL

Postby Benny_SL » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:55 pm

Marty Moose wrote:I'm 177.8 and ride a Medium TCR with a 110 stem.
I'm the same. 178 or thereabouts. I used to ride a M/L TCR but now I'm on a M TCR SL and it's perfect.

mirz

Postby mirz » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:44 pm

I'm 179 cms and riding a Giant TCR advanced 1 in medium without any issue.

Though TCR and Defy has different geometry, and I'm not expert in this field at all.
My ride: Giant TCR Advanced 1

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:49 pm

TCR and Defy different geometry.

I would guess the M/L would be the better fit - you will only know by riding them.

Are you in Sydney? Check out Giant Sydney store they do fits and stock plenty of sizes or each Giant.

JM