How to attach a convertible sports car to a bicycle

uncle arthur

How to attach a convertible sports car to a bicycle

Postby uncle arthur » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:26 pm

I knew it would work.....

(using a Saris dropout bracket costing $45)

What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:47 pm

I like it! Now all you need is the Rhino SQR's rear wheel tie down mounted on your spoiler (or an occy strap for a more cost effective solution) to hold the rear wheel in place and you're laughing. :) Another option would be to get your passenger to hold the bl**dy thing. :D :D
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

jasimon

Postby jasimon » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:45 pm

How do you control the accelerator from up there though?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:28 pm

What happens when it starts to rain on the way back .....

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:39 pm

MichaelB wrote:What happens when it starts to rain on the way back .....
I can still zip out the rear window and get the forks to reach the bracket, so the bike gets wet but I don't.

Brad J

Postby Brad J » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:08 am

Oi!!! That was my idea back on Aus-Car (MX5 Forum) :D

I see you've swapped out the style bar for that one, wouldn't of worked on the SB.

As said above, the only downside is that you'll have to secure the rear wheel down, and if it were me I wouldn't rely on the strength of the spoiler to hold the rear wheel down in the event of an accident. I could see the bars making a mess of the passengers (wifey) head if that happened.

Also, your pedals look precariously close to the boot lid, especially if the spoiler was the flex with a bump...I know how little compliance there is in these MX5's suspension too.

vic

Postby vic » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:33 pm

Great for picking up that third passenger!

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:27 pm

Brad J wrote:Oi!!! That was my idea back on Aus-Car (MX5 Forum) :D

I see you've swapped out the style bar for that one, wouldn't of worked on the SB.

As said above, the only downside is that you'll have to secure the rear wheel down, and if it were me I wouldn't rely on the strength of the spoiler to hold the rear wheel down in the event of an accident. I could see the bars making a mess of the passengers (wifey) head if that happened.

Also, your pedals look precariously close to the boot lid, especially if the spoiler was the flex with a bump...I know how little compliance there is in these MX5's suspension too.
Yes - the idea came from you..... but I applied it. :D

I've always had that particular style bar , but you could also do this with the twin hoop style by using the central brace as the mounting point.

There's about 1 inch of pedal clearance, but I figure I can use the trick the elite triathletes use and hook a couple of rubber bands between the pedals and the rear drop out to hold them level in transit. I'm still working on a couple of ideas as to how to hold the rear wheel down - just wait till the new QTS season - you'll get to see if it has worked :D

Brad J

Postby Brad J » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:09 am

Why wait till then? How about the GC 1/2 IM....c'mon Mikey!!!

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:28 am

Knowing how well anchored and strong those "plastic" pseudo-spoilers are, I'd be pretty weary of that solution. It may be fine sitting in the driveway, I wouldn't do it if it had to be taken on the open road on safety concerns.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:39 pm

sogood wrote:Knowing how well anchored and strong those "plastic" pseudo-spoilers are, I'd be pretty weary of that solution. It may be fine sitting in the driveway, I wouldn't do it if it had to be taken on the open road on safety concerns.
It's actually a full solid fibreglass rear spoiler, mounted by 4 HT 6mm bolts through the boot lid and into metal captive threads built during molding into the base of the spoiler. Weighs probably as much as my bike does actually.....

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:44 pm

uncle arthur wrote:It's actually a full solid fibreglass rear spoiler, mounted by 4 HT 6mm bolts through the boot lid and into metal captive threads built during molding into the base of the spoiler. Weighs probably as much as my bike does actually.....
Ok, that sounded better than some of those spoilers I've seen. But still, the weight of your bike is only relevant for static loading. Dynamic load at 80km/h will be significantly greater.

I am surprised there are no dedicated bike carriers made for the MX5. Surely there are certified products out there, right?
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:49 pm

Just the standard towbar mounted bike rack, or the hanging rack that goes on the back of the car.

I didn't like either.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:54 pm

Anybody remember how Pugsley hung his bike off his MX5?

Hmmm, drive an MX5 somewhere for a ride, best o' both worlds :D

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

skcycle

Postby skcycle » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:21 pm

Replace the drops with a TT aero base bar and you have a second spoiler - the handling would be SO much better...

Andrew69

Postby Andrew69 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:21 pm

I miss my MX5 :cry:

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:24 pm

To all the doubters - this is a great way to carry the bike on the 5. :D

I finally tested it this morning - had to drive to the morning ride due to another outing straight afterwards, that didn't allow time to ride home and change.

Basically it required a flat nylon strap looped over the rim at the front, under the spoiler, and back over the rim at the back and tied off. The spoiler is quite heavy and fully fibreglass, so it doesn't flex. That held the rear wheel solidly in place. By moving the front dropout clamp towards the middle of the car, it places it in such a position that the front dropouts can be easily clamped with the roof up but the rear window zipped out (as is the case on early MX5s. The front wheel sits nicely on the parcel shelf behind the seats, roof up or down.

On the (cold) drive in I had the roof up and the heater on, and on the drive home I had the roof down and the sun on my face, all the while with the bike firmly in place above me.

:D

vx255

Postby vx255 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:57 pm

this is how you do it :wink:
Striving for mediocrity.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:23 pm

The heat from the exhaust won't do his carbon rims much good. :wink:
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:19 pm

LuckyPierre wrote:The heat from the exhaust won't do his carbon rims much good. :wink:
They're just for show back at the cafe.

munga

Postby munga » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:13 pm

first i was thinking 'if that person can afford a gallardo, surely they can afford a nice big ute to transport their cervelo to the club ride'
then i thought 'if i had a gallardo, would i drive a crappy old hilux?'
hell no! lucky bastage :(