Ah Warney, stick to spin bowling mate.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ah Warney, stick to spin bowling mate.

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:01 am

David Lee wrote:David Lee from the Amy Gillett Foundation said he was not surprised by the backlash from members of the cycling fraternity.
“I can understand that there would be minority groups in the cycling community that would take exception to [his role in a road safety campaign],” Mr Lee said.
But he added he was hopeful that Warne would make a public statement to try to calm the situation, to make the road safer for both drivers and cyclists.
“At the end of the day everyone, either on two wheels or four, deserves to get home safely,” Mr Lee said.
There is merit in this reponse, why fight when you can consolidate?

If Shane Warne has been a bad boy but is now advocating road safety - surely this is positive change. Not only does he now have a higher level of responsibility when driving, as a public and influencial person this could have an overall positive effect to change the mind-set of motorists who may have previously not displayed Commonsense, Care and Courtesy to Cyclists sharing the roads.
Cycling is in my BNA

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:47 am

AUbicycles wrote:
David Lee wrote:David Lee from the Amy Gillett Foundation said he was not surprised by the backlash from members of the cycling fraternity.
“I can understand that there would be minority groups in the cycling community that would take exception to [his role in a road safety campaign],” Mr Lee said.
But he added he was hopeful that Warne would make a public statement to try to calm the situation, to make the road safer for both drivers and cyclists.
“At the end of the day everyone, either on two wheels or four, deserves to get home safely,” Mr Lee said.
There is merit in this reponse, why fight when you can consolidate?.
Whilst I can appreciate your point of view, I object strongly to the "minority groups" comment ... this is about individuals responding and expressing their disappointment in his involvement. If the Amy Gillet Foundation disagrees with those sentiments, express their view but please lets not get into this derision of others. Completely unnecessary and inappropriate.

BTW Shane Warne should have expressed his sentiments on cyclists up front in the initial press release .... too little too late now.

Andrew

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:00 pm

andrew, you're famous!
Making reference to the TAC's famous anti-drink driving slogan, Geelong radio host Bethany Keats tweeted: "If you hire Shane Warne for a road safety campaign, you're a bloody idiot", while user Aushiker called it a "real stupid decision".

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:39 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
There is merit in this reponse, why fight when you can consolidate?

If Shane Warne has been a bad boy but is now advocating road safety - surely this is positive change. Not only does he now have a higher level of responsibility when driving, as a public and influencial person this could have an overall positive effect to change the mind-set of motorists who may have previously not displayed Commonsense, Care and Courtesy to Cyclists sharing the roads.
I'm sorry, but the TAC would have to be a pack of morons to think that using Warnie was a good idea, regardless of the cyclist incident. He ran into a cyclist in front of witnesses, then claimed publicly via social media that he didn't do it. What's his safety message going to be - "lie and blame everyone else, and you will get home safely"? I guess it fits... what was his previous message - "I never took banned medications, my mother made me do it"?

Major fail.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:45 pm

twizzle wrote:I'm sorry, but the TAC would have to be a pack of morons to think that using Warnie was a good idea, regardless of the cyclist incident. He ran into a cyclist in front of witnesses, then claimed publicly via social media that he didn't do it. What's his safety message going to be - "lie and blame everyone else, and you will get home safely"? I guess it fits... what was his previous message - "I never took banned medications, my mother made me do it"?

Major fail.
i could be wrong, but i get the feeling the TAC is trying to avoid preaching to the converted. they also sponsor the F1GP - hardly attended by the "safety brigade". a good way of getting your message through to your target audience is to use someone who has credibility with them. with road safety, your key audience is - well, we know who they are, they're the people who throw stuff at us as they pass. warnie has credibility with them. i doubt that the TAC thought "hey warnie would be a great example of a credible road safety spokesperson, he's a good guy".

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:04 pm

jules21 wrote:andrew, you're famous!
Making reference to the TAC's famous anti-drink driving slogan, Geelong radio host Bethany Keats tweeted: "If you hire Shane Warne for a road safety campaign, you're a bloody idiot", while user Aushiker called it a "real stupid decision".
LOL ... just saw this in the West Australian, didn't know about the Age. Must be careful what one tweets :)

Andrew

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:55 pm

jules21 wrote:i could be wrong, but i get the feeling the TAC is trying to avoid preaching to the converted. they also sponsor the F1GP - hardly attended by the "safety brigade". a good way of getting your message through to your target audience is to use someone who has credibility with them. with road safety, your key audience is - well, we know who they are, they're the people who throw stuff at us as they pass. warnie has credibility with them. i doubt that the TAC thought "hey warnie would be a great example of a credible road safety spokesperson, he's a good guy".
He's a controversial figure, IMHO you don't advertise with controversial figures unless you are happy with both positive and negative consequences. They obviously only looked at the positives in their target group, didn't give a damn about negatives.

Stay tuned for next week, when Warnie will appear in an advertising campaign for a church group, promoting the positive benefits of marriage and monogamy.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:01 pm

i'll grant you it's a strange decision, i'm just trying to make sense of it. it would be interesting if he got into another road rage incident.

Alien27

Postby Alien27 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:21 pm

jules21 wrote: i could be wrong, but i get the feeling the TAC is trying to avoid preaching to the converted. they also sponsor the F1GP - hardly attended by the "safety brigade". a good way of getting your message through to your target audience is to use someone who has credibility with them. with road safety, your key audience is - well, we know who they are, they're the people who throw stuff at us as they pass. warnie has credibility with them. i doubt that the TAC thought "hey warnie would be a great example of a credible road safety spokesperson, he's a good guy".
+1 that makes a lot of sense to me.
Tom

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:40 pm

twizzle wrote:.....Stay tuned for next week, when Warnie will appear in an advertising campaign for a church group, promoting the positive benefits of marriage and monogamy......
I heard he was presenting a program on "Texting for forgiveness - finding absolution in 160 characters" :roll:
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:06 pm

O.K. - new thread!

The Warnie Advertising Thread.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:27 pm

Aushiker wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:
There is merit in this reponse, why fight when you can consolidate?.
Whilst I can appreciate your point of view, I object strongly to the "minority groups" comment ... this is about individuals responding and expressing their disappointment in his involvement. If the Amy Gillet Foundation disagrees with those sentiments, express their view but please lets not get into this derision of others. Completely unnecessary and inappropriate.

BTW Shane Warne should have expressed his sentiments on cyclists up front in the initial press release .... too little too late now.

Andrew
Again, +1!
It seems such comments are designed to alienate and lock out other advocacy groups such as yours and mine every time BNV and the AGF come out with this crap in the press or in front of a TV camera Andrew. It serves no purpose other than THEIR OWN! I was livid at the suggestion that the Warnie incident was a non event for the AGF and "those that matter". Those that matter are their supporters, and the supporters think the TAC just kicked cyclists in the teeth.
How large was the cheque?!
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

tomtom1

Postby tomtom1 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:18 pm

Warnie caught speeding...good choice TAC?

http://m.theage.com.au/national/from-sp ... 2c9qq.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

roobab

Postby roobab » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:54 pm

The TAC apparently are defending their decision to appoint him. This will be interesting,
A convicted speeding driver without a licence is going to be a TAC ambassador. who are the bloody idiots now.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:28 pm

Looks to be a good defence for the next ticket... TAC don't mind Shaaaaaaaayne doing it M'Lud :roll:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:58 am

Leave Shane alone!
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:45 am

The 2nd Womble wrote:Leave Shane alone!
Gonna post a teary mascara stained vid on youtube too? :P
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:29 pm

A TAC spokeswoman said Warne's speeding charge would not impact on this partnership.

"We expect all Victorians to use the road sensibly and obey the rules of the road wherever they are," she said on Saturday.

"But it doesn't have an impact on our relationship with Shane
They obviously consider Shane is above "all Victorians" :roll:

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:36 pm

With Warney as our road safety pinup boy no wonder the road safety message is getting nowhere in Victoria. :roll:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:03 pm

TAC now posted on January 6. 2013...:

The TAC is extremely disappointed that Mr Warne has allegedly been caught speeding. Speeding is unacceptable, particularly at the high level of speed that is alleged.

We know that speeding is a leading cause of road trauma. Choosing to speed shows a complete disregard for other road users and has the potential of killing or seriously injuring someone.

The TAC was not aware of this alleged incident at the time of the launch of the Homesafely campaign. If we had known about the incident, we certainly would not have had Mr Warne involved in the media launch.

Mr Warne did not receive any payment for this appearance and was not engaged for any ongoing campaigns.

The TAC will be discussing the speeding allegations with the Melbourne Stars in light of our partnership.

Andrew

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:47 pm

tomtom1 wrote:Warnie caught speeding...good choice TAC?

http://m.theage.com.au/national/from-sp ... 2c9qq.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So much for the safety campaign, seems he will be loosing his license

Shane Warne charged with speeding and faces losing his licence
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:05 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
tomtom1 wrote:Warnie caught speeding...good choice TAC?

So much for the safety campaign, seems he will be loosing his license

Shane Warne charged with speeding and faces losing his licence
With out a licence I wonder if he will get around on a bike. Who wants to donate him one. (just make sure he can mount a rego plate on it)

Although I wouldn't have thought he could loose his licence for speeding in another country.

timbo

Postby timbo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:12 am

PB12IN wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:
tomtom1 wrote: (just make sure he can mount a rego plate on it)
And an ashtray.

hosko

Postby hosko » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:44 am

Maybe he could ask Marlon Samuels for a lift?

TAC shouldn't hold back on this one. Eddie Mcguire might think twice next year before including Warne and his psychiatrist with the Melb Stars team. If his mind is this way inclined, hate to think what the rest of the team is like now.
2013 Malvern Star Oppy Di2

roobab

Postby roobab » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:05 am

I am confused, I thought the TAC wanted everyone to slow down? Does their new research show that 65k over the speed limit is now OK?
http://www.tacsafety.com.au/campaigns/s ... d-campaign