Any of these any good for a beginner?

gettingfit

Any of these any good for a beginner?

Postby gettingfit » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:09 pm

Hi all

Looking for my first 'better than kmart special' road bike for under $400.

Have come across a 2002/2003 Kestrel Talon 'Nytro' for $300. All I know so far is Dura ace and Ultegra components with Shimano wheels. Has 'speedclip' pedals so I'm thinking as a beginner I might take those off and put something 'easier' for me on.

Does it sound like a deal or is an older 'performance' bike like this no better than an entry level like a Reid or a Cell (god forbid, according to some of the comments on this forum LOL).

Also come across a Flight Road Sports, he wants $450 but they are $799 new so think I might be able to get him down a bit. These are the specs http://www.flightbikes.com.au/road-bike ... sport.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks!

brit_in_oz

Re: Any of these any good for a beginner?

Postby brit_in_oz » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:41 pm

For a beginner's bike the cell bikes or other private label brands usually provide fantastic value. Ok they are generic frames made to a price bit will still be better than a 10 year old Kestrel. The kestrel may have high spec gear but its likely to be 8 or 9 speed against 10 on a modern bike. Not that you need 10 but most components are now focussed on 10 or 11 speed.

I would go with the more modern offering, even sora groupo is a decent set, reliable if not as light as the higher spec gear
Don't mistake lack of talent for genius

nuttzo32

Postby nuttzo32 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:54 pm

You don't state what your maximum budget is but I would recommend getting at least a sora equipped bike if you can afford it, getting a cheap first road bike is good but if you go too cheap the ride quality and components are poor and you will not want to ride it.

gettingfit

Postby gettingfit » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:01 pm

Thanks guys for your advice.

Our budget for our first bikes is about $400 each, not a lot but should get us something to start us off.

I'm going to look around for a thread or web site that lists the component types in order of 'quality' so I am more prepared when I see an ad. ie, things like Sora, 105 etc.

Edit: Just found a list, 2300, Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, Dura Ace

nuttzo32

Postby nuttzo32 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:18 pm

With only $400 to spend you are not going to get a lot of choice in the new department, the reid aquilla and cell apache only have shimano ao50 derailers and those old style non-integrated click shifters(dont know exactly what they are called) and are 14 speed with a compact crankset but that flight bike has a shimano 2300 derailers and looks like it has integrated shifters as well as a triple chainring which would make it 24 speed.

The flight bike looks to me to have the better specsthan the other two i can find for $400 new i suggest test riding the flight first and see how it feels.

gettingfit

Postby gettingfit » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:36 am

Yep, there aren't too many new around that price.

Not sure about the Flight actually, its not new at $400, but supposedly an unused birthday present. They currently retail for $799 reduced from $999 which seems hard to believe for Shimano 2300 components from what I can tell. I still think there might be a better deal to be had if I keep looking and waiting. 8)

nuttzo32

Postby nuttzo32 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:44 am

gettingfit wrote:Yep, there aren't too many new around that price.

Not sure about the Flight actually, its not new at $400, but supposedly an unused birthday present. They currently retail for $799 reduced from $999 which seems hard to believe for Shimano 2300 components from what I can tell. I still think there might be a better deal to be had if I keep looking and waiting. 8)
It's definitely overpriced at $799 but is probably worth $400 if you can get it for that , i paid $850 for a new apollo peleton 2011 and that is a full tiagra setup and rides sweet . Good luck on finding a bike, if you want a bargain you may have to source the lbs and if you are lucky you might get a sora equipped for $400.

gettingfit

Postby gettingfit » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:20 pm

HI all,

Just picked up a 2005 Merida 904 with Shimano 105 group for $350 and am quite happy. Don't think I could do much better for the price for a cheap entry level. $500 opened up a few more options but was stretching it to far. Hope I made an ok choice!

Now just have to find the misses one. Keeping an eye on a Giant TCR C1 for her, we'll see how we go.