eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

grantw

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby grantw » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:37 am

frailer5 wrote:I know Graecross made some ordinary stuff, but this looks like upper-end on their pecking order. For tall~ies; within reach of Sydney.
Yes they weren't all junk it seems. There's a nice Graecross Tourer going in Tasmania at the moment. I initially mistook it for a Centurion :shock:

munga

Postby munga » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:57 am

probably rebadged ricardo's (leisure cycles - they sold frames to other brands)

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:29 pm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SACOCHES-DE- ... 2a27c66723

Not a bad looking set of panniers and the price is reasonable but the postage seems a little high
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

sled

Postby sled » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:40 pm

Hamster wrote:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SACOCHES-DE- ... 2a27c66723

Not a bad looking set of panniers and the price is reasonable but the postage seems a little high

Think id get a ticket if he offered local pick up :lol:

ammie7

Postby ammie7 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:55 pm

Forget Fleabay, what's with the crazy prices on Dumbtree?? I have a real 40's Speedwell, shall i dare ask for $1000. I should easily be able to get $300 for the immaculate "Bell" 1240 seat. Bondi breeds this madness.

cflmx

Postby cflmx » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:32 am

Need new tools for your campy steerer tube?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Rare-Campa ... 484dac52b5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cflmx

Postby cflmx » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:36 am

Looks like I chose the wrong time to buy a saddle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-IDEALE-MODE ... 484921917d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:39 am

cflmx wrote:Need new tools for your campy steerer tube?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Rare-Campa ... 484dac52b5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For that price it'd want to come with a hooker that does you 5 times a week, are some people serious? The stupid thing is some nutbag will pay that & stick it on his shelf, so he can brag off to all his friends. Dead set tossers.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:44 pm

Mustang wrote:Why is this not attracting attention?
Malvern 5 Star
NO BIDS????

Vintage MALVERN STAR 5 STAR road frame *****

04 Jan, 201318:36:06 AEDST

Starting bid:

AU $400.00

[ 0 bids ]
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:42 pm

cflmx wrote:Looks like I chose the wrong time to buy a saddle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-IDEALE-MODE ... 484921917d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow, that guys prices are !!!!!, I was most surprised to see that he is actually selling plenty of stuff at those prices.
Last edited by Ferrovelo on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grantw

Postby grantw » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:32 pm

He has some great stuff, and that Ideale saddle is pretty special.

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:35 pm

I have one of those in really good condition on my '72 Peugeot. At that price I'm almost tempted to pull it off and sell it - nah just joking.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:43 pm

You could save $360! :lol:
Mustang wrote:NO BIDS????

Vintage MALVERN STAR 5 STAR road frame *****
I'm no expert on frames of that era, but there appears to be something NQR about that one and I can't quite put my finger on it. If I were in the market for one of these, I'd have let that one pass.

peterk

Postby peterk » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:52 pm

You would almost be too cool for school with this on your ride!
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NOS-Bikit-Te ... 3f20c4ec03" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:29 pm

Wal42 wrote: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Rare-Campa ... 484dac52b5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For that price it'd want to come with a hooker that does you 5 times a week, are some people serious? The stupid thing is some nutbag will pay that & stick it on his shelf, so he can brag off to all his friends. Dead set tossers.

Especially when I saw a full Campy tool kit in its wooden box for $1500 a few weeks back.

I so want one of them. Perfect for all your old steel roadie rebuilds and restores.

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:42 pm

Cycle CHIC

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ted-Baker-41 ... 3ccdc00b22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fight till the end n never give up. Cadel Evans 2012

barkmadly

Postby barkmadly » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:29 pm

Five star is sold to a happy new owner. Lots of viewers but no bids until after auction ended. I was puzzled by the lack of bids. Post christmas poverty maybe? Frame is in great condition but the slightly chipped paint may have put some people off needlessly. It may have appeared as structural damage rather than simple cosmetics.
I am selling a 30's racing frame now for a song. I love old iron and it's worth more, but maybe I am biased.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:36 pm

barkmadly wrote:Five star is sold to a happy new owner. Lots of viewers but no bids until after auction ended. I was puzzled by the lack of bids. Post christmas poverty maybe? Frame is in great condition but the slightly chipped paint may have put some people off needlessly. It may have appeared as structural damage rather than simple cosmetics.
I am selling a 30's racing frame now for a song. I love old iron and it's worth more, but maybe I am biased.
eBay can be fickle. I once sold a lugless 5 star, got about $550 for the frame. A couple of weeks later saw a standard lugged 5 star with pretty ordinary paint go fit nearly $1000. I know which person got the better deal. And I know which one I would rather have. Wish I hadn't sold it.

Vern Stralam

Postby Vern Stralam » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:07 am

barkmadly wrote:Five star is sold to a happy new owner. Lots of viewers but no bids until after auction ended. I was puzzled by the lack of bids. Post christmas poverty maybe? Frame is in great condition but the slightly chipped paint may have put some people off needlessly. It may have appeared as structural damage rather than simple cosmetics.
I personally am not confident to buy a five star without a conforming serial number.
#Harvey 1950's Club Racer #Super Elliott 1950's Club Racer

morini

Postby morini » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:17 am

Wal42 wrote:

Just wait, in a few years all the really valuable stuff will be living in someones lounge room and it will be part of their self managed superannuation fund. This is what has happened to 70's Ducati motorcycles. When the serious money joins in all of us will be lamenting that Colnago or Eddie Merckx we should have bought for a thousand dollars. Instead of the ten thousand some greedy investor will pay. Prices will climb and there is always going to be more dickwits ready to pay too much. Enjoy it while you can because as soon as some financial adviser or investor hear or sees some of the beautiful and exotic bikes that are around it's over red rover for us amateurs.

barkmadly

Postby barkmadly » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:50 am

I realise that 5 stars can vary in quality depending wh, when and where they were built.
As for conforming numbers, I don't that is a guarantee of the bike's bona fides.
I have two other 5 stars, both un-numbered. One is as lights as a feather, the other fairy standard. I have no concerns about their bona fides - it just supports my theory that theory that spec and build varies. They are collectable for what they represent - Australian cycling heritage.

Vern Stralam

Postby Vern Stralam » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:25 pm

morini wrote:
Wal42 wrote:

Just wait, in a few years all the really valuable stuff will be living in someones lounge room and it will be part of their self managed superannuation fund. This is what has happened to 70's Ducati motorcycles. When the serious money joins in all of us will be lamenting that Colnago or Eddie Merckx we should have bought for a thousand dollars. Instead of the ten thousand some greedy investor will pay. Prices will climb and there is always going to be more dickwits ready to pay too much. Enjoy it while you can because as soon as some financial adviser or investor hear or sees some of the beautiful and exotic bikes that are around it's over red rover for us amateurs.
Not sure of the investment quality in bicycles, as the bottom fell out in the American cycle market.
#Harvey 1950's Club Racer #Super Elliott 1950's Club Racer

morini

Postby morini » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:38 pm

I know what your saying but have a look at some of Greg Softley's and you might change your mind. These are what people will start to invest money in if they haven't already.

If the bottom has fallen out of the American market maybe it's the time to buy?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclomondo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:17 am

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:04 am

The serial numbers for 5 star Malvern Stars is a big can of worms. Quite a lot of 5 star Malvern Stars have no numbers, or numbers that dont conform to the accepted factory sequence.
The ones that 'dont conform', usually have something special about them. The fact that the number doesnt fit into the factory sequence doesnt mean that it is not a 'real' 5 star. I have seen hundreds of 5 star frames, and am sure that one of those was a 'fake', another maybe a fake, the rest seem to me to be 'real'.
I could write a book on the variations to 'normal'.
I think that the ones without serial numbers have usually had the rear dropouts replaced, and the number lost in the process. This is bourne out by the fact that in most of these cases, the rear dropouts are either Simplex, Benelux or Campagnolo, and are older frames with these ends put in later, as they became available, and as derailleur gears became more accepted for club level racing.
An old 5 star Malvern Star was as good a bike as any to 'recycle' for a young rider, and would be modified by a frame builder prior to a repaint. My own 1949 5 star lugless, purchased by me in 1972, has been painted 4 times that I know of, and has just recently had all of the modifications that I had done to it reversed, and put back to 'original' 1949 specs. It is about to have its 5th paint job.
The 5 Star frames with non conforming numbers, are usually high end frames, built to order. These are often, but not always, the best of the 5 stars.
Each 5 Star frame has to be judged on its merits. The frame number is only one part of the picture.
Warren