Women's retro bike

Venus62

Women's retro bike

Postby Venus62 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:32 am

My daughter is determined to get one of these for local commuting. There will be no serious riding done on it... These are two we have been looking at. Is the Cell bike worth the extra $100? I'm happy to subsidise the extra if the bike is a better build. I know it's almost an insult to ask serious cyclists about these bikes but I am still very new to this cycling business myself, and would value other opinions.

http://www.reidcycles.com.au/bicycles/l ... OneDh4aySM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.this link is broken/CELL-Syren- ... ory=215538" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any others people would like to throw into the mix?

Thanks!

BurtO

Re: Women's retro bike

Postby BurtO » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:14 am

I'd go for the cheapest option, there's not much in it and your daughter probably wouldn't notice the difference anyhow. They have baskets and pretty colours, what more could a young girl ask for? As long as she's cycling that's the main thing. Get some slime or other puncture proof goo in the tyres as fixing flat tyres is a big call for inexperienced cyclists. Good luck and enjoy.
Cheers

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:39 am

Thanks BurtO.
I was wondering if the alloy frame on the Cell would make for an easier ride compared to the steel on the Reid, but you're right, it probably wouldn't make much difference at this level.

rjk

Postby rjk » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:16 am

the cell has integrated lights and a basket. when you figure in the extra costs to get those on the reid the cell is way better value.

the basket on the reid is an extra cost

also a 3 speed nexus hub means no work on a rear der. as well as skirt protector. which would be invaluable for her.

the only downside i can see is that it is only a 3 speed and if you are in a flat area that will be fine, but hilly area could be an issue

from the cell site and i agree with it

$399
------------------------
Why ladies will LOVE the Dutchess:
European design, looks & appeal
Environmentally friendly eco-sustaining front light generator hub (no need for batteries ever!)
Easy to use, no worry Shimano grip shifter
Super convenient adjustable stem for custom riding position
Wide, comfy Euro-style leather saddle with springs for extra comfort
Super handy basket with removable rattan liner for shopping
Rear rack with spring keeper for extra convenience
Front & rear fenders to protect you from road debris

Specs & Tech:
Genuine Shimano Nexus Shifter w/ 3-spd hub
Lightweight, comfortable composite pedals
Traditional heritage steel frame and flat crown fork
Full enclosed chain guard to keep you grease free
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:48 am

rjk wrote:stuff
You're talking about the Duchess model, not the Syren that was linked. But as you say that Duchess is a bargain

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:52 am

Thanks guys. I'm pushing her towards the cell. I only hope they have the colour she wants... :roll:

Wait... So is the Dutchess or the first one I linked to a better buy? :?

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:04 am

They're different, not necessarily better or worse.

The Duchess is probably heavier (Hi-Tensile steel frame, weight not specified) but has more features (eg lights) and an internal hub which is easier for maintenance (advantage of the hub gear is you can shift when stationary, but it's only 3 speeds so less useful for hills).

The Syren has an alloy frame (lighter) and a low level derailler gear set

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:56 pm

Well, she's ordered the Syren. Fingers crossed... The assembly for the Dutchess put me off a bit, and a quick call to Cell confirmed that it is a lot more complicated than the Syren to assemble.

ILMB

Postby ILMB » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:10 pm

My experience tells me that she won't be riding for very long if the granny gear ratios aren't good enough for any hilly terrain she might encounter; especially in the Brissy humidity.

My 1st go, Shimano 8-speed internal gear Gazelle was returned tout suite when it became clear I couldn't manage the hills around Sydney North Shore and was doing a lot of walking.

Now have a 21-speed granny bike with mega range 11-34 rear cassette. And I've learnt to love the hills! The 34 ring is being used less and less. Yes!!! :D

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:14 pm

We'll see how she goes... It's certainly about the look for her ATM. I did offer her almost exclusive use of my Scott Sportster hybrid now that I have a new road bike, but after 1 ride she went back to this idea. There are enough flattish rides around where we live to keep her happy for a while. Cheers everyone for your advice.

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:36 pm

Almost unbelievably, the bike was ordered yesterday and delivered today! No assembly instructions, which I was a bit surprised about. Managed to get it all together with a minimum of angst and no leftover parts... The front brakes could do with some adjustment but the manual that came with it is very generic. According to the specs, they are Tektro Novela V brakes. I've tried googling for more detail without luck. They sees a little sloppy and not quite centred. Might need a trip to LBS for tweaking; not worth risking brakes. Otherwise daughter is very happy with her purchase.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:58 pm

V brakes are easy to service

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... brake-type" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Principally, there are two places to adjust the cable pull: at the nut that locks the cable at the caliper, and the barrel adjuster at the lever. Adjust them in that order (the lever barrel adjuster is really for fine tuning and adjusting for pad wear)

Brake centering (balance) is adjusted with two tiny screws on the outside of the caliper.

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:02 am

Thanks MattyK. That looks very helpful. I'll give it a go today.