Shopping list, would you change anything? & Wiggle Code

Wakatuki

Shopping list, would you change anything? & Wiggle Code

Postby Wakatuki » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:57 pm

Hi all,
Just been doing some afternoon shopping. After trawling the LBS in the area, unfortunately the savings are too big to ignore, by comparison my shoes, pedals and chain cleaner purchase. I will basically be getting two saddle bags, two light sets, degreaser, lube, goggles (not bike relevant) and spoke key for free. Would I be better off with the Shimano spanner that is listed Nipple Tool to try and budge my rusted on old Raleigh bits?
I am also considering the BBS Torque set too. But reviews don't seem too favourable.
Setting up two bikes is not cheap, including purchase of bikes over $4000 spent already (might not be a lot in comparison to some) so trying to save where possible. I have basic tools and socket sets, ordinary allen keys, not ball ended. I have to service a new Carbon Scott, a 2007 Dolce and try and work on my old Raleigh. All Shimano components.

Any Wiggle codes to add the complete tight arse already? And if anything is LBS price comparable I will gladly buy in the LBS. Would prefer a single internet site purchase rather than spreading around.

On a side note after getting Pm's about Bont from Bont owners decided that Shimano are more than adequate for me at this time, borrowed a mates 44 to try on, length fine, slight pinch on width so gone wide. Also I have non Egyptian style feet :!: which allegedly is what Bont primarily cater for.
Thanks in advance

Ross

Re: Shopping list, would you change anything? & Wiggle Code

Postby Ross » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:25 pm

Don't need Park Tool chain cleaner, kerosene does the same job for a fraction of the pricer. I personally use Pro Link chain lube, I don't know anything about the brand you have selected.

Warnesy

Postby Warnesy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:29 pm

Repco have tuff citrus degreaser on sale for $4.5 for 500ml.

The actual chain cleaner tool I used for the first time last week, best thing ever!!!!!

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:44 pm

Ross wrote:Don't need Park Tool chain cleaner, kerosene does the same job for a fraction of the pricer. I personally use Pro Link chain lube, I don't know anything about the brand you have selected.
Degreaser cancelled, Thankyou :D

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:38 pm

When you get the kero, get some coffee filter papers too. Filter, decant and re use. Nitrile gloves if you are sensitive to petrochemicals.

Oh, Purple Extreme chain lube 8)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

LM324

Postby LM324 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:05 pm

Only things I'd change (as the others have said) are the lubricant and the park tool chain cleaner.

I was going to say "Support Australian business, buy from cell bikes. You might find stuff cheaper or at par. +there is fast delivery!"

But there is a reason why these uk online stores are making Aussie/smaller businesses go out of business. Their prices are just so low. I just searched up all the products hoping to find something cheaper at cell bikes but most with of them wiggle is a few dollars cheaper... But for the 105 pedals wiggle is $25 cheaper!

The only thing I can say is that I have seen the PDW radbot 1000 at cell bikes on sale for $16.50... And that you get $10 for signing up to the mailing list ( as opposed to only $8 in wiggle! Haha)

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:45 am

Ok, not bike related, but I bought the Zoggs Predator Flex Polarized Goggles. Love them. Great for taking off the glare when swimming outside. So far I prefer these to tinted, but this might relate to fit also.

rjk

Postby rjk » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:32 am

dont get the radbot 1000, i have that and the issue is that when the batt goes flat it just dies, get something like the electron super pico, one of the brightest i have used and it lasts a whopping 80 hours on a pair of aaa's, it also has a mount that can be rotated thru 180 degrees so you can place it anywhere

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... 5000000000

Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:05 am

Get lights with rechargeable built in batteries (knog USB rechargeable).
If you want a decent spoke/nipple tool get the red one, not that all in one BBB junk - http://www.this link is broken/lifeline-triple-spoke-key-set/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:31 am

Get better lights. A rear that won't give seizures, and a front that will actually light up the road and get you seen. Front blinkies are useless at this.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:11 pm

Ok,
The light thing is getting a bit confusing, I live in a rural area and the bikes are not used for commutes, they will also be used mainly as flashers with only real night use in the winter. Battery life is important, I would prefer not to be using tools to swap batteries although I do carry my very small swiss army knife and a multi tool.
Would prefer just to stay on Wiggle or LBS, happy to not buy a 'set' if it means a better combination. But really $50 per bike is where I want to be. Already have some Jamis lights that look like the knog boomer set, rear light packed up in weeks and battery life awful.
Really would prefer saddlebag mount rear light otherwise it would have to be RHS chain stay mounted, no room under saddle bag.

Non cycling bit ~have swapped goggles as suggested, my swim is always into the sun on the pool trainer in the mornings, never gave the morning sun a thought when the pool was built.Anything glare reducing gets my vote.