Bianchi ultegra vs fondriest r20vs felt f6

First road bike

Bianchi ultegra vs fondriest r20vs felt f6

Postby First road bike » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:53 pm

Hi, I'm looking at buying my first road bike. Looking at spending around 2000 for bike.
Like the look of bianchi impulso ultegra alloy.
For price should I get carbon fondriest r20 or felt f6.

I like all 3, however unsure of benefits of ultegra vs 105, carbon vs alloy, mavic cxp vs shimano r500.

Weight isn't huge issue, just want a good bike for the money. All ride ok.

Any help would be awesome.

DoogleDave

Re: Bianchi ultegra vs fondriest r20vs felt f6

Postby DoogleDave » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:05 pm

First road bike wrote:Hi, I'm looking at buying my first road bike. Looking at spending around 2000 for bike.

I like all 3, however unsure of benefits of ultegra vs 105, carbon vs alloy, mavic cxp vs shimano r500.

I'd go with the one that feels the best (to YOU) when riding it.

Ultegra will be a bit lighter but 105 is perfectly fine - particularly for a 1st roadie (that's what I use and don't have a problem with it).

Carbon vs Alloy - pros and cons for each but a $2K carbon bike probably won't be that much better than a $2K aluminium bike.

CXP vs R500 - they're both stock standard entry level rims and will be fine to get you going, but once you're hooked this will be a great place to start for upgrades (and you will notice the difference with better wheels). I had CXP22's on my Felt until recently and whilst they were OK when I upgraded my wheels it made quite a difference.

Hope this helps...

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:39 pm

DoogleDave wrote:
First road bike wrote:Hi, I'm looking at buying my first road bike. Looking at spending around 2000 for bike.

I'd go with the one that feels the best (to YOU) when riding it.

Ultegra will be a bit lighter but 105 is perfectly fine - particularly for a 1st roadie (that's what I use and don't have a problem with it).

Carbon vs Alloy - pros and cons for each but a $2K carbon bike probably won't be that much better than a $2K aluminium bike.

CXP vs R500 - they're both stock standard entry level rims and will be fine to get you going, but once you're hooked this will be a great place to start for upgrades (and you will notice the difference with better wheels). I had CXP22's on my Felt until recently and whilst they were OK when I upgraded my wheels it made quite a difference.

Hope this helps...

Dave
+1
All sound advice.

First road bike

Postby First road bike » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:31 pm

Thanks for the advice, appreciate the help.

I think I will go alloy with ultegra, looks smick and feels good. Fondriest are too unknown for me.

Cheers

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:35 pm

Fundys are awesome!
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

rjk

Postby rjk » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:50 am

First road bike wrote:Thanks for the advice, appreciate the help.

I think I will go alloy with ultegra, looks smick and feels good. Fondriest are too unknown for me.

Cheers
i know someone with a fondie. he loves it,have a look and a test ride first, if alu is done wrong it will shake you to bits, carbon soaks up the bumps
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:26 pm

I like my Fondriest. See plenty of them around the traps these days. I do have one issue with mine though - 2010 RP3, always stored indoors, and the white paint on the frame and forks has definitely yellowed in places, particularly on the fork. Not very impressive tbh, but I haven't noticed it on any others, and mine still rides nicely. Perhaps I was just unlucky with the finish.
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.