Front derailleur (Shimano sora)

rp

Front derailleur (Shimano sora)

Postby rp » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:07 pm

Hi BNA,

Recently started having trouble with my front derailleur. The mount screw that holds it to the bracket failed and is all shaved, so I went to my LBS and bought a new screw. That also failed.The hole in the derailleur that receives the screw and holds it in place is totally mangled. I believe that is the cause of my problems, as it is damaging the screws that I try to put in.

I have now put in a temporary measure of using a self-tapping hex screw to hold it together whilst I find a new solution/buy a new derailleur.

Is this a common problem?

My bike is a Giant defy 2 (2010) with sora throughout. Is the solution to my problems a brand new or a second hand derailleur? I also need a new chain, the old one is rusted out.

rp

Re: Front derailleur (Shimano sora)

Postby rp » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:09 pm

Oh, one of the limit screws is also shaved and stuck. Not good at all (I suspect partly the fault of the guy who serviced my bike last)

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:26 am

rp wrote:Hi BNA,

Recently started having trouble with my front derailleur. .....................................................................................................................................................................
Is this a common problem?

My bike is a Giant defy 2 (2010) with sora throughout. Is the solution to my problems a brand new or a second hand derailleur? I also need a new chain, the old one is rusted out.
Not a common problem, but relatively speaking not a catastrophe.
Sounds like it is time for a new chain, which will cost about $50 or more.
Not sure how much a new front derailleur costs, but would not be much more than that.
Labor costs - who knows, maybe about $20
Spend up - you and the bike deserves it !

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:33 am

A chain should not cost $50 unless you get a top spec one from an expensive local shop. check online. There is not that much advantage in getting a more expensive chain.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

rp

Postby rp » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:56 pm

Hi Fellas,

Thanks for the replies. I would like to give repairing my bike a shot - I want to be able to learn how it works better and how to service it myself. As a temporary measure, I have rammed in a self tapping hex-screw and it is doing the job (just) for now.

I have a couple of questions though...
1) WIll any 9-speed chain do the job? This SRAM http://www.this link is broken/sram-pc951-9-speed-chain/ is the cheapest, I'm happy to go with either of these shimano ones http://www.this link is broken/shimano-hg53-9-speed-chain/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;http://www.this link is broken/shimano-hg93-9-speed-chain/

2) even though I have a sora system, can I get a tiagra front derailleur? http://www.this link is broken/shimano-tiagra- ... erailleur/
This one is designed for 10-speed cassette, so can it be used with my 9-speed set-up? I would just get a sora one, but I couldn't find it in the system and this is a slight upgrade.

Also, I am using finishline dry teflon lube - could this be why my chain is rusty? I don't do much riding in the rain, but I do occasionally get caught out.

Also, in terms of washing the drive-line, is it OK to use mineral spirits to get the bulk of the gunk off when cleaning?

Cheers for the help thus far!

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:47 am

Your chain shouldn't be rusty if you're lubing it at reasonable periods, I've no experience with the lube you're using, but it might be time to look at a different lube.

You shouldn't really be cleaning a road bike chain with mineral spirits, you really shouldn't be getting enough gunk on it to warrant that, if it does need a good clean, use a citrus based cleaner, hose off GENTLY (don't go getting the pressure cleaner out at this point), then lube it straight away.

Some of the better chain lubes on the market, you don't need to clean the chain (occasionally you do but generally not), you apply them, work the chain, then wipe the gunk off, then apply a light coat, with a MTB you do the apply & wipe off a few times (normally 3).

All this doesn't address your FD, a 10 speed chain is narrower than a 9 speed, will a 10spd work though? Probably, but I'd just be searching for a 9 speed one, they're cheaper. You could probably pick up a 9 speed Ultegra or 105 for near the price of a 10 speed Tiagra one.

Chains, yep it should do, the 2 japanese component companies gear is mainly interchangeable.

rp

Postby rp » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:16 pm

Wal42 wrote: a 10 speed chain is narrower than a 9 speed
Does that mean the front derailleur is narrower in a 10-speed compared to a 9-speed? If so, I will grab a 9 speed chain and look for a 9 speed front derailleur.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:40 pm

GRab some Rock n roll lube, it cleans/lubes in one action. I reckon it's great stuff for road and MTB.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:23 pm

rp wrote:
Wal42 wrote: a 10 speed chain is narrower than a 9 speed
Does that mean the front derailleur is narrower in a 10-speed compared to a 9-speed? If so, I will grab a 9 speed chain and look for a 9 speed front derailleur.

The distance between the two guides on a 9 speed Dura Ace derailleur is 13mm, between the guides of a 10spd Ultegra is 11mm.

I'm no expert on modern brifter gear (most of my road bikes are down tube shift), I'm guessing the chain is about 1mm different between 9 & 10 speed Shimano (don't know much about Campy sizes, but we're dealing with Shim here), my gut feeling (I haven't tried this so it's only a guess based on clearances & sizes) is that a 10 spd front derailleur would run on a 9 spd set up, you'd probably have to be spot on with the alignment because you have very little tolerance to trim the transmission. Still not sure why you think a 10 spd FD would be cheaper than a 9 spd one.

This is on eblag at present-
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Shimano-Dura ... _697wt_952" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this one, buy it now (it is clamp on though) for $57-
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Shimano-Dura ... 500wt_1203" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this Ultegra one for a little over $40-

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USED-Shimano ... 2636wt_952" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This one is a triple front, new for only $24-

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SHIMANO-FD-2 ... 263wt_1139" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As I say, there are plenty of 9 speed stuff around, unless you want to upgrade the whole transmission to 10 speed, then I'd just grab a new 9 speed one.

rp

Postby rp » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:25 am

Thanks for the information, I'll grab a 9-speed derailleur and jam that in... Also I'll grab some of that lube in due time.

Cheers!

clackers

Postby clackers » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:38 pm

Wal42 wrote:
Chains, yep it should do, the 2 japanese component companies gear is mainly interchangeable.
SRAM? American.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:05 pm

chains can look rusty. Just drop decent amount of lube on it and turn the cranks backwards while holding the chain in some cloth/rag and the rust will disappear, might need to do that a couple of times. It will look rusty if you use mineral spirits to clean it and not oil it after.

I would have thought if you sprayed it with water you would want to wait for the chain to dry before adding lube. Or dry it with a rag first.

Thats not to say the chain does not need replacing.

Front derailleurs are pretty cheap

Even cheaper option, could you use a nut and bolt?

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:32 am

clackers wrote:
Wal42 wrote:
SRAM? American.

American corporation who have their manufacturing plants in Japan or these days probably Taiwan, but then probably so does Shimano.

I was drawing a difference between the Euro made (possibly they're also made in Asia as well) & the other 2 major manufacturers

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:03 am

I recently bought a Shimano 105 chain to replace a failed KMC chain (only lasted about 500km :x ). It's made in Japan.

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:26 pm

Wal42 wrote:
clackers wrote:
Wal42 wrote:
SRAM? American.

American corporation who have their manufacturing plants in Japan or these days probably Taiwan,
Hmm, I'm not aware of any of their plants being in Japan. How do you know this?