eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Vern Stralam

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby Vern Stralam » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:34 am

bicyclepassion wrote:The serial numbers for 5 star Malvern Stars is a big can of worms. Quite a lot of 5 star Malvern Stars have no numbers, or numbers that dont conform to the accepted factory sequence.
The ones that 'dont conform', usually have something special about them. The fact that the number doesnt fit into the factory sequence doesnt mean that it is not a 'real' 5 star. I have seen hundreds of 5 star frames, and am sure that one of those was a 'fake', another maybe a fake, the rest seem to me to be 'real'.
I could write a book on the variations to 'normal'.
I think that the ones without serial numbers have usually had the rear dropouts replaced, and the number lost in the process. This is bourne out by the fact that in most of these cases, the rear dropouts are either Simplex, Benelux or Campagnolo, and are older frames with these ends put in later, as they became available, and as derailleur gears became more accepted for club level racing.
An old 5 star Malvern Star was as good a bike as any to 'recycle' for a young rider, and would be modified by a frame builder prior to a repaint. My own 1949 5 star lugless, purchased by me in 1972, has been painted 4 times that I know of, and has just recently had all of the modifications that I had done to it reversed, and put back to 'original' 1949 specs. It is about to have its 5th paint job.
The 5 Star frames with non conforming numbers, are usually high end frames, built to order. These are often, but not always, the best of the 5 stars.
Each 5 Star frame has to be judged on its merits. The frame number is only one part of the picture.
Warren
Interesting. My original point was that I was not confident in purchasing one of these 5 stars, because i don't have the expertise to judge them. However, if the lugs look right, the dropouts look right and have a genuine looking (Font) and conforming serial number then I can take a gamble. I guess that means that i am consigned to lower end frames but i'm okay with that.
#Harvey 1950's Club Racer #Super Elliott 1950's Club Racer

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:50 am

An interesting specimen in Brisbane

munga

Postby munga » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:57 am

Edit: an ambitious seller in Sydney
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Abeni-Giro-D ... 342wt_1399" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:21 am

The price of rust is up!

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:29 pm

He provides some useful advice regarding restoring the velocipede though :)
If you wish to fully restore the Campagnolo components then these can be purchased by searching the web

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:54 pm

Has anyone seen the latest ebay scam for international shipping from the US. Apparently eBay have contracted some shipping company called Pitney Bowes. From what I gather the plan is all international shipping will be handled by this mob. All shipping will be international priority post, the buyer or seller have no choice. As such all shipping fees will be increased and as such paypal's cut will again be higher as they take a percentage of the total deposit, the thieves.

The plan is to make this the standard world wide. I don't know how this will be greeted by AUSPOST or ROYAL MAIL in the UK.

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:18 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Has anyone seen the latest ebay scam for international shipping from the US. Apparently eBay have contracted some shipping company called Pitney Bowes. From what I gather the plan is all international shipping will be handled by this mob. All shipping will be international priority post, the buyer or seller have no choice. As such all shipping fees will be increased and as such paypal's cut will again be higher as they take a percentage of the total deposit, the thieves.

The plan is to make this the standard world wide. I don't know how this will be greeted by AUSPOST or ROYAL MAIL in the UK.
From what I have read the Global Shipping Program is an option that the seller can choose when listing their product, but It will be interesting to see what impact it has on shipping costs.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:03 pm

A few things I have bought from the US of late has had this extra charged placed on them. It's around $6. Apparently it is eBay' intension to levy this on all international transactions from the US.

munga

Postby munga » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:36 pm

3 Rensho race bike | Bicycles | Gumtree Australia Gold Coast City - Highland Park

nice cheap pink 3rensho road bike on gumtree on the gold coast. so i do some digging:

3rensho mystery ! (Very Pic Heavy)

the dude knows it's fake. it's a nishiki at best. look at the pics in the bikeforums thread compared to the pics he's used to sell the thing on gumtree.

don't get sucked in.

ozneddy, you suck!

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:15 pm

This Miyata is a bit big for me, though it's in Sydney. It will save a domestic though. To be postponed for another day.
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:44 pm

grantw wrote:An interesting specimen in Brisbane

Nice but I don't need another touring bike, but nearly tempted to buy it to break it up. Someone else better buy it first.

Let me know if someone is bidding on it, as I may try to snipe it at the last minute, if anyone here is bidding I'll keep my little sniper scope in me sky rocket.

morini

Postby morini » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:52 pm

munga wrote:3 Rensho race bike | Bicycles | Gumtree Australia Gold Coast City - Highland Park

nice cheap pink 3rensho road bike on gumtree on the gold coast. so i do some digging:

3rensho mystery ! (Very Pic Heavy)

the dude knows it's fake. it's a nishiki at best. look at the pics in the bikeforums thread compared to the pics he's used to sell the thing on gumtree.

don't get sucked in.

ozneddy, you suck!
I had a talk to him a month or so ago. He's a 60-ish, Harley riding, pommie who reckons he doesn't ride bicycles. Go work that one out. For someone who has over 1000 posts on Bike Forums he came across as someone who knew jack sh*t about bicycles.

A bit personal there Munga but I think you hit the nail on the head. Buyer beware there.

munga

Postby munga » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:54 pm

well of course it's a bit personal! i was this close to giving him my hard earned money on Sunday for a fake bike..

morini

Postby morini » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:02 pm

Ah ha, I didn't realise you'd driven down there. That's a pain in the crack. Lucky you bailed on the deal.

grantw

Postby grantw » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:18 pm

Wal42 wrote: Nice but I don't need another touring bike
:shock: Touring Bike?!! Cough splutter!.?!

That is a ripsnorting audax bike, early 80s Zeus bling, and so clean. Carry a front bag with that fork trail and add mudguards to boot and climb like a zephyr. If he was shipping I'd never have mentioned it here :D

Though if someone in Brisbane was happy to collect and send south to moi (for appropriate recompense including any future favours I might be able to provide re translocation of bike bits from the greater Sydney area), I'd be loading my sniper tool, putting the roubaix at the back of the shed, ordering a decaleur and rolling out the welcome mat!

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:38 pm

grantw wrote:

That is a ripsnorting audax bike, early 80s Zeus bling, and so clean. Carry a front bag with that fork trail and add mudguards to boot and climb like a zephyr. If he was shipping I'd never have mentioned it here :D

Though if someone in Brisbane was happy to collect and send south to moi (for appropriate recompense including any future favours I might be able to provide re translocation of bike bits from the greater Sydney area), I'd be loading my sniper tool, putting the roubaix at the back of the shed, ordering a decaleur and rolling out the welcome mat!

Not sure what the postage is Brisbane to the 'Gong, but if you're super serious about it, I'm sure I can pick it up, find a bike box (not sure how much, but I'm sure my mechanic will have one sitting around) & get it down there for you, what it costs me you can send me after it's boxed & on it's way, be assured at some stage there'll be something in Sydney ( or areas close enough to)that I'll be interested in in the future, I'm actually down to Mt Druitt area in Feb, I may even be able to fit it in & meet you somewhere (I'll probably be there mid week).

Let me know, I'm happy enough to work with you on this. I'll only be after the parts, the frame I'd probably give to my mechanic.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:20 pm

Wal42 wrote:
grantw wrote:

Not sure what the postage is Brisbane to the 'Gong, but if you're super serious about it, I'm sure I can pick it up, find a bike box (not sure how much, but I'm sure my mechanic will have one sitting around) & get it down there for you, what it costs me you can send me after it's boxed & on it's way, be assured at some stage there'll be something in Sydney ( or areas close enough to)that I'll be interested in in the future, I'm actually down to Mt Druitt area in Feb, I may even be able to fit it in & meet you somewhere (I'll probably be there mid week).

Let me know, I'm happy enough to work with you on this. I'll only be after the parts, the frame I'd probably give to my mechanic.
I hope you've got the nice thin crank bolt removing tool for those Zeus cranks. Those 16mm crank bolts can be a birch to get off without one. I also hope the chainrings are in good nick. They are a Zeus specific 119 BCD. They do come up on the bay. Just a pain to look for.

sunho

Postby sunho » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:46 pm

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/surry-hi ... 1012156261" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

someone around 5'7 needs to eat this up asap.....

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:05 am

grantw wrote:

good luck with it dude. is it me or has the seller squeezed the cinelli bars into a 25.4 stem..??

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:12 am

munga wrote:Edit: an ambitious seller in Sydney
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Abeni-Giro-D ... 342wt_1399" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LOL...325 for a graphics card...very ambitious indeed...

grantw

Postby grantw » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:15 am

Wal42 wrote:
Hey thanks :) I'll investigate further and drop you a PM.

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:55 pm

vaeske wrote:
grantw wrote:

good luck with it dude. is it me or has the seller squeezed the cinelli bars into a 25.4 stem..??
\

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: Cinelli, they look like Gipiemme ones to me. Maybe I need to put my glasses on?

No worries Grant, if you can wait, I'll be driving down to Sydney somewhere between the 4th & 15th of Feb, I should be able to transport it down there for you. If we can't meet up I can leave it at my Dad's place in Mt Druitt & you could collect it from there.

grantw

Postby grantw » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:59 pm

Cheers Wal,

I asked a few questions of the seller, but so far have not had a response, so will see how it plays out.

cheers

Grant

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:21 pm

munga

Postby munga » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:10 pm

not cheap. bit ambitious i think