Riding from Milton to Deagon - which route is best?

86MUD

Riding from Milton to Deagon - which route is best?

Postby 86MUD » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:00 am

Hi All

New to forum....and live on the Southside so after some advice on riding from my work at MIlton to a mates place at Deagon. Which way should I go? Looking at google maps, Sandgate Road would be the obvious choice and I would get on this road at Albion, but is there a bike lane on Sandgate Road and what about the tunnel at Toombul?

Cheers
Andrew

elantra

Re: Riding from Milton to Deagon - which route is best?

Postby elantra » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:07 pm

Basically the Kedron Brook Bikeway will take you most of the way, but the greatest difficulty will be gaining access to the KBB from Milton.

This is not an easy task, and there are basically 2 schools of thought about the best way to traverse from Milton to The Grange (to join the KBB)

There are persons more qualified than me to give you instruction on this, but it will probably involve Kedron Brook Road, (not surprisingly)

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:25 pm

I would come up past Lang park, up the hale street footpath, down kelvin grove road and then take either the enoggera creek bikeway or Newmarket road to Kedron brook road and the take the Kedron brook bikeway up past nudgee, boondall and then into deagon.

I ride these segments pretty regularly for fun and can provide more specifics if you want them.

I am only a "12 month old" northsider, so there may be other ways... :-)
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:38 pm

86MUD wrote:Hi All

New to forum....and live on the Southside so after some advice on riding from my work at MIlton to a mates place at Deagon. Which way should I go? Looking at google maps, Sandgate Road would be the obvious choice and I would get on this road at Albion, but is there a bike lane on Sandgate Road and what about the tunnel at Toombul?

Cheers
Andrew

Maybe try asking on Brisbane Cyclist. You'll have more chance of hitting locals that ride a similar route http://www.brisbanecyclist.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2012 Oppy A4

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:52 pm

86MUD wrote:Hi All

Cheers
Andrew
Are you aware Google Maps has cycling directions as an option? Its not perfect but its a good start.

Here's one I prepared earlier ....
https://maps.google.com.au/maps?saddr=m ... 4&lci=bike" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Refine it with your exact addresses and click and drag the route to force it to go via certain roads etc. Good luck.

edit - and welcome to the forum BTW :-)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:26 pm

This would be one of my choices.
http://goo.gl/maps/Stojp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Access Kedron Brook Bikeway via The Grange and ride all the way to Toombul. Just after the railway bridge turn left and cut through the park to join onto Santgate Road with the flow of traffic as Google Maps doesn't show that bike path. Sandgate road is fast and has its own wide bike lane. Bikes aren't allowed in the tunnel at Toombul so you just stay in the bikelane and go through the surface streets using the bike lane in Nundha Village and back onto Sandgate road. It can be confusing at first but just stay to the bike lane in the far left.

There are a few pinch points. The first is going through Virginia railway station across the bridge where there's no bike line from the traffic lights to the roundabout. There is a bike path that goes from the traffic lights, around the station, under the railway line then back up to the roundabout and across the bridge where you can rejoin the bike lane again. Second is the short bit of road where there's no bikelane between Beams Road and Garazzo Street in the northbound direction. Be wary of the northbound Gateway onramp so claim the lane. The last pinch points are if people park in the breakdown lane through Deagon but you can always turn off onto the side streets depending on where you want to go.

But I would choose this route. No traffic from Grange-Deagon as its all bikeway. Its also more fun to ride especially through the wetlands. Only downside its longer.
http://goo.gl/maps/qy1q4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:47 pm

Lukeyboy wrote: Image

As you join Sandgate road heading north from this intersection watch out for cars / trucks turning into the next Left hand street where Mitsubishi is.

Also as you're riding through Nundah Village(TM) there's an intersection just outside of the Royal English hotel. When cars want to turn right (as you're headed outbound) cars will overtake them at the intersection and if the car is operated by a Moron Motorist then cyclists aren't even considered. I've seen a couple of near misses and cranky cyclists there. If you're the guy on the folder you are one lucky guy :shock:
2012 Oppy A4

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:03 pm

This is a link to show how I get from South Brisbane to the Crit track at Nundah, keep going out on the KBB to Nudgee then through the wetlands to Boondal then through to Deagon

http://app.strava.com/activities/32085021

hope that helps if you are looking for a low traffic route.
Lisa

Wazza

Postby Wazza » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:16 am

Welcome to our little place of fun 86Mud. :P :P
I used to commute from Roma Street to Redcliffe and Lukeboy's map is the best compromise of time and traffic, heed the warnings on the pinch points but have fun passing all the traffic on Sandgate Rd at Virginia. I cant see Lisa's route through the Boondall wetlands as Strava is in maintenance mode at the moment however the route mentioned will be bike path for 98% of the way however it is longer. So I suppose it will be your choice, a quick run or a scenic cruise your choice :wink: :wink:
Waz
Wazza