Moron Motorists #3

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:00 pm

But is is deliberate... :?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:50 pm

Ride home this evening was probably one of the best I had for a long while (it terms of speed and feeling really energised)... Despite be spat on at the on ramp at Bexley north, M5. Driver of a cream coloured 90s ford laser hatch swerved real close to the shoulder while passenger let a golly fly.

Tried my best to remain calm and gave the ****s no reaction until they got out of site. Lucky for them (and in hindsight myself, too) it was after peak hour as I would've probably gotten into a fight if there was traffic.

Still feeling pretty dirty. Morons. Lowest of lows and a waste of oxygen :x
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:13 pm

That is just plain discusting.

pacra

Postby pacra » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:11 pm

I am old enough, hopefully experienced enough and geting to that stage in life when you should'nt let the braindead tools rob your tranquility and sleep, but today this jerk took the cake and really got my goat.

At the intersection of Burke and Dandenong Roads, if you don't know it Burke is a 1.5 or 2 lane arterial that ends southbound at Dandenong Road, a major highway. Across the intersection the left lane peters out as it narrows to a short one lane feeder behind Monash thru a roundabout, the only through exit then goes south.

Today sitting at the red light in afternoon peak, traffic so light only one other car in the right lane, and me left of centre in the left lane. Along comes the jerk, does he sit behind the car in right lane? Nup, he sits behind me even though he could see me as he approached (both my rear lights were on flash). He then proceeds to push and crawl forward right up to within centimetres to try to get me to break and move out of his way.

I figure why should I move for this thug and bully in his blue commodore VN wagon. So, touch me redneck and I'll sue you right to bankrupcy and I point to his number plate (OTX 063) and make sure the woman in the right lane sees what he's trying. Lights change, I proceed in an orderly fashion, he screams past with his passenger window down to give me the usual.

At this point I could not resist giving him the bird and he revealed his hidden talent, he is a contortionist. He actually got his right arm, shoulder and head out the window to look back and shake his fist. In a just universe he would lost control, gone through the wall of the old Monash engineering building and demonstrated an inelastic collision. Unfortunately he did not stop to discuss the situation as I had my Kryptonite cable and padlock ready to lock up my bike prior to any discussion.

Should I still think about this nearly five hours later? Well yes. We are meant to live in a lawful , regulated society and we should expect protection from thugs who have neither the intelligence or temperement to handle even 19th century machines. These apes should've been made redundant in the 15th century when they horsewhipped some poor crone who impeded their progress.

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:56 pm

jules21 wrote:
Kenzo wrote:Traffic code (or whatever it's called) says no to handheld mobile use or texting ... but is it a 'criminal act'?
i think it's a summary offence, rather than a criminal one.
Summary offences are a (relatively minor) kind of criminal offence. Convictions can be recorded and in some cases (not breaches of the road rules but still) people can go to gaol for committing a summary offence. So my answer would be "yes".

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:20 pm

high_tea wrote:
jules21 wrote:
Kenzo wrote:Traffic code (or whatever it's called) says no to handheld mobile use or texting ... but is it a 'criminal act'?
i think it's a summary offence, rather than a criminal one.
Summary offences are a (relatively minor) kind of criminal offence. Convictions can be recorded and in some cases (not breaches of the road rules but still) people can go to gaol for committing a summary offence. So my answer would be "yes".
I think Bill had it right. A court would apply the rules of 'noscitur a sociis' (a word's meaning derives from its context) and 'ejusdem generis' (general matters are limited by reference to specifics) to interpret the clause. I this case the clause generally speaks to intent; the use of e.g. a phone is reckless perhaps, but that is not the same as saying it is wilful. This means that 'criminal' would be read down to mean, in essence, a criminal act which has as its intended result a crash.

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:53 am

London Boy wrote:
high_tea wrote:Summary offences are a (relatively minor) kind of criminal offence. Convictions can be recorded and in some cases (not breaches of the road rules but still) people can go to gaol for committing a summary offence. So my answer would be "yes".
I think Bill had it right. A court would apply the rules of 'noscitur a sociis' (a word's meaning derives from its context) and 'ejusdem generis' (general matters are limited by reference to specifics) to interpret the clause. I this case the clause generally speaks to intent; the use of e.g. a phone is reckless perhaps, but that is not the same as saying it is wilful. This means that 'criminal' would be read down to mean, in essence, a criminal act which has as its intended result a crash.
OK - thanks guys.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:56 pm

Not a moron motorist at all, but a considerate one. A shared path I was using crosses a road at a small intersection. The car waiting reversed back a bit to let me across since the car couldn't go anywhere! :o Very thoughtful. :D I waved back.

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:33 pm

g-boaf wrote:Not a moron motorist at all, but a considerate one. A shared path I was using crosses a road at a small intersection. The car waiting reversed back a bit to let me across since the car couldn't go anywhere! :o Very thoughtful. :D I waved back.
This is off topic - keep it to morons please - we all only come in here for the disdain :)
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:41 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW07KrOM ... _yRIG5208g[/youtube]
this is unbelievable (it's not me, this is in Britain somewhere)

skull

Postby skull » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:28 pm

could be Warnie

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:02 pm

Pacra wrote:
I figure why should I move for this thug and bully in his blue commodore VN wagon. So, touch me redneck and I'll sue you right to bankrupcy and I point to his number plate (OTX 063) and make sure the woman in the right lane sees what he's trying. Lights change, I proceed in an orderly fashion, he screams past with his passenger window down to give me the usual.

At this point I could not resist giving him the bird and he revealed his hidden talent, he is a contortionist. He actually got his right arm, shoulder and head out the window to look back and shake his fist. In a just universe he would lost control, gone through the wall of the old Monash engineering building and demonstrated an inelastic collision. Unfortunately he did not stop to discuss the situation as I had my Kryptonite cable and padlock ready to lock up my bike prior to any discussion.

Should I still think about this nearly five hours later? Well yes. We are meant to live in a lawful , regulated society and we should expect protection from thugs who have neither the intelligence or temperement to handle even 19th century machines. These apes should've been made redundant in the 15th century when they horsewhipped some poor crone who impeded their progress.
Seems to be something about VN Commodores. They are definitely bogan cars. This bogan this morning in a VN Commodore with a sticker on the back window of the Ureka Stckade flag could'nt wait for me to get through this roundabout. He floored it just as I was about to enter it and went past me the motor absolutely screaming. There is something wrong with these ferals. Whenever I see a VN Commodore I know the driver is a dullard.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:33 pm

Cheap and fast. A bogan's 2 favourite things. It sickens me the number of young people i went to school with who have been killed on the roads, and every time you can pretty well guarantee it's a blasted commodore or falcon.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:25 pm

To the woman in the Merc at the toowoong roundabout texting whilst driving. Yes the airzound was meant to scare the bejesus out of you. You had a child in the back. Chose. Drive or text, not both. Hope you needed new underwear when you got home. :mrgreen:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:49 pm

jasonc wrote:To the woman in the Merc at the toowoong roundabout texting whilst driving. Yes the airzound was meant to scare the bejesus out of you. You had a child in the back. Chose. Drive or text, not both. Hope you needed new underwear when you got home. :mrgreen:
I quite enjoy sounding my car horn beside drivers on the phone, especially if they have the window down. Bike bell doesn't ave the same effect.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:55 pm

bychosis wrote:
jasonc wrote:To the woman in the Merc at the toowoong roundabout texting whilst driving. Yes the airzound was meant to scare the bejesus out of you. You had a child in the back. Chose. Drive or text, not both. Hope you needed new underwear when you got home. :mrgreen:
I quite enjoy sounding my car horn beside drivers on the phone, especially if they have the window down. Bike bell doesn't ave the same effect.
but the best thing was i was less than 1m from the drivers window (coming from the side)

The Dude Abides

Postby The Dude Abides » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:04 pm

Here is one of a semi and trailer passing me in Brisbane in October. I have had a few pass like this so the lane is now mine when i use this piece of road :evil:

Track all of your ride stats and keep them on your own computer.
http://www.prologcycling.com

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:18 pm

Damn that was a tight fit. :shock:

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:35 pm

The Dude Abides wrote:Here is one of a semi and trailer passing me in Brisbane in October. I have had a few pass like this so the lane is now mine when i use this piece of road :evil:

:shock:

Its only your 3rd post but you come in with that!!

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:37 pm

pacra wrote:In a just universe he would lost control, gone through the wall of the old Monash engineering building and demonstrated an inelastic collision. Unfortunately he did not stop to discuss the situation as I had my Kryptonite cable and padlock ready to lock up my bike prior to any discussion.
I love the eloquence used to describe the incident - keep up the good work. Hopefully the majority of your posts won't end up in this thread...

While i've found that the drivers of old (cheap) commodores & falcons do sometimes exibit the bogan behaviour you describe, lately it has been people in more upmarket cars doing dumb stuff and flouting the road rules. My pet hate though is the cretins (i won't call them drivers as that implies at least a modicum of professionalism with roadcraft) that sit behind the wheel of late model flash V6 holden utes which are rapidly shooting up the moron rankings in my eyes. I've been driving the wife to and from work since the start of the new year while on holidays, as i'm looking after our son while he on school holidays and the shocking examples red light running, speeding tailgating, cutoffs & general rude & dangerous behaviour i've seen on the roads in just the short 15km each way to and from the city just has me aching to get back to work so i can bike commute again (while the missus drives herself to the train station) and not have to drive the car into town. Don't get me wrong, i do enjoy driving, but driving into town these days just irks me as i never fail to see someone acting like a total nub with nil consideration for other road users.

The Dude Abides

Postby The Dude Abides » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:01 pm

InTheWoods wrote:
:shock:

Its only your 3rd post but you come in with that!!
There is another video I have uploaded on my channel of a hornibrook bus lines bus passing on the same stretch of road at a relatively similar proximity to me, didnt enjoy that one either.

I had one a month ago pass me pretty close and I noticed his passenger window was down at the time. He got stuck at a notorious bottleneck jam a couple of km's up the road. By this time I was on the path and I noticed the ute with its passenger side window down with the passengers arm out.

I emptied half my bidon through the window on my way past. 200m down the road I got caught at a red light. Was sitting there momentarily and thought to look behind to check if the passenger wasnt coming for me, sure enough turned my head around and here he was charging down the footpath swearing at me. I decided to head on through the light as it was safe (and safer than staying still). I had already made my point as I went past. Passenger was collateral damage. They were painter tradies in a hilux dual cab.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:17 pm

The Dude Abides wrote:Here is one of a semi and trailer passing me in Brisbane in October. I have had a few pass like this so the lane is now mine when i use this piece of road :evil:
what did the cops say?

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:24 pm

You got some balls mate. Revenge is always sweet :twisted: :twisted:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:32 pm

A word of advice - semi-trailer drivers are THE most considerate drivers on the roads..... but they are lazy drivers. Hold the left edge and a straight, predictable line and they'll pass you like you're not there. Ride wider - even better, ride a little erratically and they'll give you a full-lane overtake. Even in busy city traffic. They are professional drivers and can ill-afford to lose their licence over side-swiping a cyclist. They all* know this!!

* Possible exclusion for quarry truck drivers. There is a direct relationship between road consideration and the value of the cargo (possible inter-relation of intellect :twisted: )
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

The Dude Abides

Postby The Dude Abides » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:37 pm

jules21 wrote: what did the cops say?
The lady on the desk was quite good about it saying she was a cyclist herself. She looked at this poor quality youtube clip from my iphone (the quality degrades when on 3g connection compared to a wifi connection I noticed). She took the registration details and tried to get an officer however one wasnt available, so she said that calls would be made to warn off that sort of behaviour.

I never heard back but in reality never really expected to either. There isnt much that could be done other than drive a bit more safely next time.