M7 Safety Alert Thread

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby dtrain » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:39 am

glowe wrote:Hi everyone

If you are coming down the hill too fast and are not slowed down by the speed bumps at Norwest, going towards Parramatta, right where you will most probably lose it on the bend the railing pops off its rectangular metal base leaving a piece of metal that can go into your shoulder and leave a 10 x 6 cm hole all the way down to your bone or Clavicle as the doctors call it. As you have probably guessed I know this from experience and have the photos if anyone is interested.


WOW! Sounds serious! How long are you out of action?
Hoping not to sound like a sadist but... I would love to see a photo!
dtrain
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:13 am

by BNA » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:13 pm

BNA
 

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby TimW » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:13 pm

and the lesson is?
If you are coming down the hill too fast and are not slowed down by the speed bumps at Norwest,


sorry for your injury mate, but thats a notorious part of the cycle way where extreme caution is required. Most of the regulars are aware, some obviously are not. Bloke i was riding with had his rear tyre slip out from him in the wet, during winter, overcooked the approach and paid a painful result.Tim
Image
User avatar
TimW
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:37 pm
Location: Near the M7C

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby glowe » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:06 pm

dtrain wrote:
glowe wrote:Hi everyone

If you are coming down the hill too fast and are not slowed down by the speed bumps at Norwest, going towards Parramatta, right where you will most probably lose it on the bend the railing pops off its rectangular metal base leaving a piece of metal that can go into your shoulder and leave a 10 x 6 cm hole all the way down to your bone or Clavicle as the doctors call it. As you have probably guessed I know this from experience and have the photos if anyone is interested.


WOW! Sounds serious! How long are you out of action?
Hoping not to sound like a sadist but... I would love to see a photo!


Hi dtrain

I did it on 30 November last year and still feel some tightness in the shoulder. Thankfully, I didn't fracture anything, there was no nerve damage and I did not get as deep as the lung under the pect muscle. I am eternally grateful to a good samaritan who helped me get to the hospital at Norwest. Looking at the corner it is actually designed for safety. I should have just bounced off or slid along it. Unfortunately, I was very unlucky to hit a spot that I suspect has been hit before that was very unsafe. I would love to send some pictures including me impersonating Frankenstein's monster replete with blood all over my face (the sunglasses got me just beside the left-eye and there was a lot of blood) but when I click on Img all I get is Url in brackets. Copying and pasting is not working either. I agree with some of the other posts that I have red that the speed bumps are hopeless. Why can't they have speed bumps that look like those on the speed bump sign under the bridge? And, which bright spark thought of putting a speed bump in a turn?
glowe
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:41 am

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby glowe » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:22 pm

TimW wrote:and the lesson is?
If you are coming down the hill too fast and are not slowed down by the speed bumps at Norwest,


Hi TimW

Thank you for your story. Like many other people I am used to riding long distances on the road. Riding on pathways that have blind corners, etc, is new to me and it is new to other people, including a friend of my brothers who does triathlons around Australia and Hawaii. This friend thinks that I had the accident simply because I am inexperienced. He suggests that he would never have an accident on the M7 pathway even though he has never ridden on it. I now have a collection of stories about the M7 including one from one of the doctors at Westmead hospital with which to educate not only my brother's friend but also my brother. If there is a lesson to be learnt I think that is that knowledge is power and research is a very good thing. I must admit that I have never had to research somewhere that I was going to ride on in order to be safe.
glowe
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:41 am

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby TimW » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:50 pm

Fair enough, I am glad your healing thats the main thing. With the pics, you need to upload them to photobucket or similar, and paste the image link into a post and the photos will appear.Tim
Image
User avatar
TimW
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:37 pm
Location: Near the M7C

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby glowe » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:31 am

Thanks TimW

Something seems to be not happening. Nevertheless, here are the links. http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoff-lowe ... hotostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoff-lowe ... hotostream
glowe
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:41 am

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:48 am

glowe wrote:Thanks TimW

Something seems to be not happening. Nevertheless, here are the links. http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoff-lowe ... hotostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoff-lowe ... hotostream


Joisus! That is bloody nasty!


By the way, you have a nice workshop!
Image
lump_a_charcoal
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:44 am

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby zozza » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:29 am

Holy Crap dude! :shock:

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
User avatar
zozza
 
Posts: 4073
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby TimW » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:24 pm

Very nasty indeed.
Image
User avatar
TimW
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:37 pm
Location: Near the M7C

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby dtrain » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:41 pm

glowe wrote:Thanks TimW

Something seems to be not happening. Nevertheless, here are the links. http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoff-lowe ... hotostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoff-lowe ... hotostream


Thanks for the photos glowe! Very nasty!

Good thing NorWest hospital is close to that spot!

Best wishes for a full recovery!
dtrain
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:13 am

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby wombatK » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:39 pm

lump_a_charcoal wrote:Joisus! That is bloody nasty!

By the way, you have a nice workshop!

What workshop ? That were surgical tools at local chop-shop, weren't it ?

Seriously, you need to email the first three photos and details of
the injury to Westlink M7. That railing needs to be fixed, and I'll put
money on them getting onto it right away.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
User avatar
wombatK
 
Posts: 5353
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Yagoona, AU

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby glowe » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:02 pm

Seriously, you need to email the first three photos and details of
the injury to Westlink M7. That railing needs to be fixed, and I'll put
money on them getting onto it right away.

Hi WombatK.
My uncle is a blacksmith and that is his smithy. He also does amazing things with wood and has a woodwork workshop as well. Thanks for suggesting that I contact Westlink. I have just done that and asked that they repair that spot. Looking at the railing on other sections, the pipe railing does not fit together smoothly in other sections but this is the only section that I could see that pops off its base. I really do not think that I busted the railing because a whole lot more force is needed than even my accident was capable of. Some of the bases are apparently welded to the railings. Perhaps welding the base to the railing here would be a very good idea. Lets hope Westlink repairs that railing. By the way, if you look closely, some of my blood is still visible on the pathway. At least I think that that is my blood.
glowe
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:41 am

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby Rockford » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:14 pm

I hoped you attached some photos for extra effect to Westlink. :shock:

Is that a wad of something to soak up the blood or the actual muscle? (sorry for the gory question).

Wish you all the best in a speedy recovery. I always give that corner a lot of respect and wipe whatever speed I have off coming into it. (and always cheat coming back up by cycling in the gutter). The rust on the support suggests it's been like that for a while.
Image
User avatar
Rockford
 
Posts: 909
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:37 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby glowe » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:58 am

[quote="Rockford"]I hoped you attached some photos for extra effect to Westlink. :shock:

Is that a wad of something to soak up the blood or the actual muscle? (sorry for the gory question).

Hi Rockford

I could only attach two photos because their file size is too big. I put in the one showing the railing off the base and the one of the shoulder. Yes, that was a wad of bandage the nurse is holding. The red thing is the Pect muscle. It actually got to see the light of day for the first and last time in its life.

The bandages actually got quite painful. One doctor would come in and look at the wound and then just let go of the bandage. Another specialist would come in and do the same. The nurse would put a new bandage on and then another specialist would come in and pull it off again. The thing is, if the tape is not straitened out it goes into the wound and I couldn't really reach the bandage becasue I had a drip in the other arm. What the nurses tended to do was just put more and more tape on which didn't stick anyway. Believe it or not, in the taking of these shots my brother often forgot about the tape. So, in another way, these photos are really painful.
glowe
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:41 am

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby glowe » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:12 pm

Hi Everyone

Good news. Westlink has repaired the railing at the spot where I had my horror crash. That is pretty fast work.
glowe
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:41 am

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby leximack » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:41 pm

ouch, that is nasty :o :o
I guess you dont really notice these hazards until its too late :!:
heal up quick dude
User avatar
leximack
 
Posts: 3372
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:14 pm

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby wombatK » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:50 pm

glowe wrote:Hi Everyone

Good news. Westlink has repaired the railing at the spot where I had my horror crash. That is pretty fast work.

A job well done - both for you reporting it, and Westlink responding quickly. Thanks.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
User avatar
wombatK
 
Posts: 5353
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Yagoona, AU

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby alexcs » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:46 pm

biker jk wrote:
TimW wrote:
Do you ride the M7? If you did you would understand that human error accounts for a lot of the accidents in the underpasses of the M7. particularly when 2 groups approach each other.It happens, people over cook the approach, and drift across. The ideal way to ride it is if you are with someone or a group, is to drop into single file for the bends and underpasses, then regroup and continue your conversation 2 up when it is safe. Any imbecile can understand that. However many don't which is why there are many accidents.Tim


+1. It's about risk management. There is no need to ride two abreast through the blind corners. The risk of drifting over the centreline is high. If the outside rider takes corrective action to avoid a head on he/she will take out their riding partner. Don't ride two abreast through the corners. It's idiotic.


Must say this happens a lot on the cycleway. I'm a noob that been riding it mainly weeknights for the last few months, trying to drop the kg's. Its mostly a great track, polite people, really enjoy the ability to go 40kms+ without cars. This Saturday morning however was pretty bad. Riders in groups of 3-4 overtaking me in the slow tunnels several times, they almost crashed into oncoming cyclists/walkers/me as a result and didn't even seem to care despite me voicing my displeasure :P

Seriously...back off and wait until you have decent line of sight, you are going to cause a bad accident. Its such a great track for EVERYBODY, the only people who ruin it are the idiots who seem to be under the impression they are halfway through a TDF stage.
alexcs
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:06 pm

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby ruscook » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:01 pm

alexcs wrote:
biker jk wrote:
TimW wrote:
Do you ride the M7? If you did you would understand that human error accounts for a lot of the accidents in the underpasses of the M7. particularly when 2 groups approach each other.It happens, people over cook the approach, and drift across. The ideal way to ride it is if you are with someone or a group, is to drop into single file for the bends and underpasses, then regroup and continue your conversation 2 up when it is safe. Any imbecile can understand that. However many don't which is why there are many accidents.Tim


+1. It's about risk management. There is no need to ride two abreast through the blind corners. The risk of drifting over the centreline is high. If the outside rider takes corrective action to avoid a head on he/she will take out their riding partner. Don't ride two abreast through the corners. It's idiotic.


Must say this happens a lot on the cycleway. I'm a noob that been riding it mainly weeknights for the last few months, trying to drop the kg's. Its mostly a great track, polite people, really enjoy the ability to go 40kms+ without cars. This Saturday morning however was pretty bad. Riders in groups of 3-4 overtaking me in the slow tunnels several times, they almost crashed into oncoming cyclists/walkers/me as a result and didn't even seem to care despite me voicing my displeasure :P

Seriously...back off and wait until you have decent line of sight, you are going to cause a bad accident. Its such a great track for EVERYBODY, the only people who ruin it are the idiots who seem to be under the impression they are halfway through a TDF stage.

Wasn't the Patriot group was it? I did Woodstock to Old Windsor Rd and they were running about 15 strong and overtaking as a bunch .... But they were the only big bunch on the northern section. One reason I went north from Woodstock Rd was to avoid some of the big groups on the sharp underpasses between Cowpasture Rd and Prestons.
Image
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad
ruscook
 
Posts: 2338
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:59 pm
Location: Tregear, NSW

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby glowe » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:33 am

[/quote]

Must say this happens a lot on the cycleway. I'm a noob that been riding it mainly weeknights for the last few months, trying to drop the kg's. Its mostly a great track, polite people, really enjoy the ability to go 40kms+ without cars. This Saturday morning however was pretty bad. Riders in groups of 3-4 overtaking me in the slow tunnels several times, they almost crashed into oncoming cyclists/walkers/me as a result and didn't even seem to care despite me voicing my displeasure :P

Seriously...back off and wait until you have decent line of sight, you are going to cause a bad accident. Its such a great track for EVERYBODY, the only people who ruin it are the idiots who seem to be under the impression they are halfway through a TDF stage.[/quote]

Yes, I noticed it too. There was a lot of groups on Saturday. Interestingly, it was mainly singles on Sunday. One group of four riders was very considerate at that spot were there is a metal s bend. But, i guess a reason for this is that they could see me coming. I don't how this works but there always seems to be someone coming just as you are on a bend.
glowe
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:41 am

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby dtrain » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:37 pm

tonight at about 8pm saw some teenagers with bmx and a motor attached mucking around on the cycleway between richmond road and sunnyholt. They weren't wearing helmets and weren't particularly concerned with staying to either side of path.
Accident waiting to happen.
dtrain
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:13 am

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby ruscook » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:32 am

dtrain wrote:tonight at about 8pm saw some teenagers with bmx and a motor attached mucking around on the cycleway between richmond road and sunnyholt. They weren't wearing helmets and weren't particularly concerned with staying to either side of path.
Accident waiting to happen.

report this one to the local police. They're usually pretty good about patrolling in the school holidays as they know these morons are dangerous.
Image
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad
ruscook
 
Posts: 2338
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:59 pm
Location: Tregear, NSW

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby biker jk » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:24 pm

The section of path along Camden Valley Way (heading west towards Ash Rd) has a huge drop off in the concrete which poses a danger for those not aware of it. Probably around 5cm at the moment and getting bigger. I presume this is a Liverpool Council responsibility since it's after the end of the M7 path at Glenwood?
User avatar
biker jk
 
Posts: 2963
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby gururug » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:12 pm

There was a narrow gap in one of thos panhole thingies heading north before rooty hill station overbridge. Not sure if it's been filled or not.
User avatar
gururug
 
Posts: 1504
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:05 pm

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby westab » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:25 pm

At Blacktown at the moment (1:30pm) the wind has picked up and there appears to be a storm brewing. Looks like the prediction of thunder storms maybe right.

Stay safe out there.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.
westab
 
Posts: 1369
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:05 pm
Location: Blacktown, NSW

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit