I hope no one is cycling home today in the heat

Christine Tham

I hope no one is cycling home today in the heat

Postby Christine Tham » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:16 pm

I left the bike at work and got a lift home.
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)

sogood

Re: I hope no one is cycling home today in the heat

Postby sogood » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:17 pm

It's dry heat (10% humidity). So at least you can breath.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:43 pm

I am YAY! But its not far and mostly downhill.

philip

Postby philip » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:49 pm

I did. Heat coming off the road was crazygonuts.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:20 pm

I was planning to go for a ride after the temp drops, but apparently that won't be till around 2am. Might try to get up early

Milar

Postby Milar » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:14 pm

I rode home, was planning to wait a work until a bit later but it appeared that the temperature wasn't going to drop so I took the shorter route, about 12 km.
It was fine for the first half but once I headed into the wind and up the hills I started to feel it. Wouldn't have wanted to go too much further! Garmin took a bit to acclimatise but eventually settled on just over 40degrees :shock:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:57 pm

I did, at 4pm. It was hot, there was a great tailwind and it was dry. Same effort level on a normal summer day is an extra 2min or so over my commute of 6.6km due to prevailing headwinds and more sweat at the end due to higher humidity.

Maybe not so strangely the cycle way that is usually quite busy was completely deserted, no one else out for a walk/jog/ride.

It was that hot today that a normal speed hump between slabs of concrete on the cycle way had turned into a jump I got some air off on the roadie

When I got home to put the bike up on the rack I grabbed the black rim and quickly let it go again lest I be burned.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

simonn

Postby simonn » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:23 pm

I did. Wasn't too bad to be honest. Then again, I did a 200km brevet on Sat so...

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:51 am

Too hot in Sydney today by the sound of it. I rode in 39 degrees last year and I think that is the logical limit. 40 or over I would take the train.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:39 am

Rode SOP and it was exhausting but got good times. I wonder if the heat has any influence on the improvement in performance? Hot air thinner to cut through? Muscles pre-warmed up? I didn't last long since I probably should have hydrated hours before the ride.

sblack

Postby sblack » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:48 am

Dry heat was ok for cruising along but out of the saddle climbing and lungfulls of hot air drys the mouth and throat very quickly. Brake levers also got uncomfortably hot. Garmin hit 49 in a couple of spots :shock:

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:02 am

I rode home yesterday at 4pm. About 20k. I just took it really easy and it was not too bad, just really uncomfortable.

I started the ride as a grape and ended it as a raisin

humanbeing

Postby humanbeing » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:40 am

Only 7km at 6.30pm. Wasn't so bad.
Nice and cool at 4.20 this morning.
Have a great ride,
Peter
Last edited by humanbeing on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
2012 Jim Bundy
1995 Bosevski - Athena
mid/late eighties Colnago Cromor

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:03 am

I did. Eased up, drank up, wet down, and managed. Wouldn't like to be forcing it in this heat.

Jim

george-bob

Postby george-bob » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:47 pm

i was tempted, but i gave it a miss. i remembered the misery of 38 degrees (though, that was a hilly route) and decided i would rather leave the bike at the office and run in today. totally worth it.

JohnJoyner

Postby JohnJoyner » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:00 pm

I did... 20km to Beverly Hills... First half of the ride was pretty good, the last half was very tough, encountered some head winds. The water in my bottles was warmish & I felt a little light headed when I had to stop at lights... So just cruised the last 5 or so km... And sweated buckets once I got home.
Don't think I will do it again in such extreme temps.

Fe

Postby Fe » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:00 pm

Rode home from work with a mate. He picked up a couple KOMs on the M7. Ave temp was 41c.

I was happy to hang back and let him wreck himself.

sb944

Postby sb944 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:02 pm

I was surprised by a couple of things. Firstly, a lot of debree. I'm guessing that wind is the opposite to what it's been for a while now, so blew a lot of stuff out of trees. Also, the riding into that hot wind feels like it was buring my eyes. I had no desire to push myself, so commute wasn't too bad overall.

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:11 pm

I took it very easy on the way home last night. 2 water bottles down one of which I froze at work. I didn't find the heat too bad but the headwind was what did all the damage.

I also took it very easy on the way into work this morning.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:34 pm

Rode from Home to SCG (AT) 4.45pm, about 9k into a headwind. The temp was 41.4C and I was expecting the worst, but it wasn't as bad as I expected. After a spin class and some weights I rode home about 7pm, 39.3C and it was noticeably better. I'm assuming the return was easier more due to the tail wind than the 2C drop.

My feeling is that its bite wasn't as bad due to the low humidity. I'm sure that excellent fitness played its part, I'm sure I would of carked it 20 years ago.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

rogan

Postby rogan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:12 pm

The races at Heffron and Eastern Creek were held as usual last night! Musta been warm (and stinky) out at the Creek...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:02 pm

SmellyTofu wrote:Rode SOP and it was exhausting but got good times. I wonder if the heat has any influence on the improvement in performance? Hot air thinner to cut through? Muscles pre-warmed up? I didn't last long since I probably should have hydrated hours before the ride.
I was in the heat as well, only about 15km - but I went quite a lot faster than normal - I was averaging on one section nearly 39km/h, which for me is quick. I didn't pick up the KOM though, that's totally out of reach and set by some alien with super-human speed! :lol:

Damn it was hot last night, still near 38ºC at after 9pm. :shock: But it was a dry heat which made it a lot easier to deal with.

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:45 pm

I've done a bit of riding in 40 odd degrees and found it reasonably OK. There is a limit though. I've seen two news stories recently of people dying in 45 degrees plus doing stuff you wouldn't think would kill you, so I think I'll err on the side of caution if its much above 40 in future.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:49 pm

I copped the start to heat stress (I suspect anyway) on the weekend 25km into the ride. FOrtunately I carry my work pass with me so I stopped off and had a ten minute cold shower courtesy of my boss.

I have been thinking of asking my daughter to make me a form-fitting lycra cap-with-neck-shade sort of thing that takes no room to carry but can then be soaked and warn when necessary.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:39 pm

if anyone hasn't seen them, there are those ice pack neck collar things that outdoorsey people sometimes wear. it looks kind of like a bandana that has a cold pack in it that you shove in the fridge to go cold and then you tie it round your neck as you go outside and it stays cool for about an hour or so. it is about an inch wide and might be useful to someone if they didn't know about them. i'm not sure what they're actually called but i'll try and find a link.

off to google neck cold pack things for hot weather....