Gatorskin: WORST TYRE EVAH!

thepj

Re: Gatorskin: WORST TYRE EVAH!

Postby thepj » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:59 pm

jasonc wrote:
thepj wrote::shock: they check that?
police do. depending on the state it can be a fine of $40 or more. just make sure you have one on your bike (or an air-zound)
Thanks for the heads up.
2012 Merida Big Nine| 2011 Merida Sculpture 904
"If it doesn't scare you, Its not heavy/steep Enough" - Unknown.

kirky92au

Postby kirky92au » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:39 am

Not actually about Gatorskins, but figured no need to make a new thread.

So my rear tire has started to split for a fair length, is this bad?

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:27 pm

kirky92au wrote:Not actually about Gatorskins, but figured no need to make a new thread.

So my rear tire has started to split for a fair length, is this bad?
What the Heck ?? Are you expecting a serious answer to a question in this thread ? Nothing
else is serious here, so just move along and put your question in a new thread. But study
up a bit on how to post images and preview your handiwork before you do.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:26 pm

What does a pinch flat look like on an inner tube? Is there a discernable puncture shape?

I seem to suffer from pinch flats on the back (OEM Conti Sports) running at 120psi (I'm 93kg). But this could just be a run of bad luck.

Living in Cairns the wet weather performance talk worries me so which would you choose as a fair compromise of wet weather grip, rolling resistance and puncture proof ability? Also how hard you pushing it in corners to make them dicey? Do you mean turning at roundabouts at 20kph+.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:40 pm

stinhambo wrote:What does a pinch flat look like on an inner tube? Is there a discernable puncture shape?
Called a snakebite for very good reason...
May not necessarily be that far apart tho'.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Puffy

Postby Puffy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:25 pm

I'm Mackay. Similarly wet! Had conti gp4000s black chillies on the forums recommendation. Went to gators just to try them very happy the day the sidewall went at about 1000km old. Back on the black chillies. Loving them!

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:50 pm

I thought GP4000s were racing tyres? Would they be a big improvement on my Conti Sports when it comes to wet weather handling and puncture resistance?

drubie

Postby drubie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:40 pm

stinhambo wrote:I thought GP4000s were racing tyres? Would they be a big improvement on my Conti Sports when it comes to wet weather handling and puncture resistance?
Anything but taters!
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:53 am

Funny, isn't it? I've worn out 4 sets of them without an issue, except for the release aid causing them to be vague for the first few hundred Kms, don't use them now, not because they've failed on me or anything that drastic, but because I've found the Serfas Seca S Survivor are (in my honest opinion) a better tyre.

I would still recommend the Gator as a good tyre, not sure what the difference is, whether I'm more studious about checking treads & tyre pressures or if I dodge road litter better, but I've not seen the issues that have been talked about.

Best tyre, NO, capable tyre, yes.

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:12 am

Wal42 wrote:..but because I've found the Serfas Seca S Survivor are (in my honest opinion) a better tyre.
I've read some excellent reviews so I'm checking these out now!

Where do you buy yours and how much are they?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:07 pm

Wal42 wrote:I've found the Serfas Seca S Survivor are (in my honest opinion) a better tyre.
How's the wet weather grip? The only gripe I have with Gators, and it's not a real biggun, just slow down and keep 'er more upright...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:08 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
Wal42 wrote:I've found the Serfas Seca S Survivor are (in my honest opinion) a better tyre.
How's the wet weather grip? The only gripe I have with Gators, and it's not a real biggun, just slow down and keep 'er more upright...
Some very positive reviews here -

http://www.rei.com/product/793101/serfa ... x-23-25-28" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:19 pm

Thanks mate, looking impressive. They're on the very shortlist for when me current Gators cash in.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:59 pm

I finally need to replace a Maxxis Refuse, my back tyre is just about down to the canvas after probably 4,000kms, I've NEVER had that sort of life out of any other 23c tyre, even the Halo Twinrail Courier before it only managed 2,500k. Haven't had a single puncture since i changed to Refuses, the front tyre has hardly any wear so far.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

JBark

Postby JBark » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:24 pm

I always hear about how iffy the Gatorskins can be in the wet, and my coworker found out the hard way how dicey they can be yesterday morning. Broke his arm up near the shoulder and got a couple nasty gashes when his bike completely lost traction going through a roundabout in the rain. No paint or any of the obvious suspects, just a slightly greasy road like we get when it rains here in Perth.

Makes me want to give my Marathon Pluses a hug, I can't say I've ever lost traction on them no matter how stupid I am. The tread does give them a nice "cornering roar" that lets you know you should probably ease up. :)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:25 pm

"Tread"? On road tyres?
"Cornering roar"? On road tyres?
Tenpointfive Tenths...
London Boy 29/12/2011

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:22 pm

Mulger bill wrote:

Shite hot Shaun,

The first set I got from my mechanic, the next few sets I got from the US, currently the only one selling them at a reasonable cost (I usually buy 3 or 4 sets at a time) is The Gear Attic (in the US), I'm pretty sure they have an eblag account (not checked at present), I'm running 28mm kevlar bead (cost around $75 from my mechanics shop, but I paid less for the last few sets), they're quicker (feeling through the saddle) than the Gators, take as much if not more abuse (but looking at the flat thread, I must be exceptional at dodging road shite) as the Gators & getting as good if not better millage, so I can't knock them at all. They're now my choice for the commuter bkes, my quick shite runs Vredestein Fortezza Tri-Comps, those guys have really picked up the ball, used to be cr@p but now (I think) one of the best 'performance' tyres out there.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:26 pm

Thanks for the firsthand feedback Wal, the shortlist just got even shorter :D

Cheers
Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:46 pm

What's a 'quick shite run'?

So Vredesteins or Serfas?

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:08 pm

stinhambo wrote:What's a 'quick shite run'?

So Vredesteins or Serfas?

The quick shite are my retro or modern racers, the stuff I want to go quick on, they all run either Vredesteins or GP 4000s, the retro commuter/touring bikes I prefer the Serfas, horses for courses, I'm not made of money & with all the bikes I have, race tyres don't get fitted to the commuters & commute tyres don't get fitted to the race bikes.

I'm just offering my opinion, some people like tyres I don't & I like some tyres that others hate.

I can only comment on what I've experienced, I don't pretend to be an 'expert'.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:14 pm

Wal, you may not be an expert but with the kms you ride you are definitely a expert user.... You are riding 3 to 6 times the kms that most of us ride so your input is really valuable.

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:28 pm

Thanks Wal :)

I have the money for one set of tyres so I want to make sure they're decent ones!

I'm not racing or training to race so I don't need those kind of tyres. It sounds like the Serfas ones will be perfect! Or I buckle and buy GP 4000s because they're cool..

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:43 am

Anyone tried the GP4season? I'm tossing between the gator and gp4 for
puncture and durability.

drubie

Postby drubie » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:59 am

SmellyTofu wrote:Anyone tried the GP4season? I'm tossing between the gator and gp4 for
puncture and durability.
Anything but taters.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

Puffy

Postby Puffy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:22 pm

stinhambo wrote:I thought GP4000s were racing tyres? Would they be a big improvement on my Conti Sports when it comes to wet weather handling and puncture resistance?
That they may be, but for me, and the crap roads here they just work. I think there is a difference between the GP4000 and the Black Chilli 4000s. Don't quote me on that, just make sure they are s black chillis when I order them. The current set has a couple thousand kms, maybe three flats. The rear has nics in them from sharp stones/glass. I just find they roll very well, are grippy and I get long milage. What more could I ask for? Admittedly I am only comparing them to a limited range of tyres I have used. Maxxis Fuse, Lugano's, Gators IIRC.

Maxxis Refuse are very popular (and cheap) as trining tyres around these parts too.

Anyway, my 2c YMMV.