7 Peaks Series

yarravalleyplodder

Re: 7 Peaks Series

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:06 pm

Thanks zakka, yesterday was up & down 3 times, did the 1:20 twice and the wall once. Paying for it today :shock: but I am thinking of taking advantage of the early sunrise this time of year and do the 1:20 and wall each Saturday. It would work out to be a 70km ride with about 1300m of climbing, just have to be on the road by 5:30 so I am home in time for the wife going to work.
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

averagerider

Postby averagerider » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:59 pm

I live in a very flat area with the closest hills about an hour or more away, i have a young family (13 week & 3 year old) so going away to train is hard.
my questions are is there any hope that i could finish any of these with minimal climbing training (say 1 climb every 2 weeks plus flat riding) or
second question what sort of training could i do to replicate climbing.

i'm very interested in doing as many as i could manage just have no idea as to whether my aspirations are exceeding my abilities due to not having and not being able to do a lot of climbing

thank you in advance for any help

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:47 pm

Hi averagerider

when you say flat, where abouts do you live? you might be surprised what might be around for you to train on. Is there a decent hill nearby where you can do repeats of it?

I just got back from my first ride up Mt Donna Buang, it took me about 97 minutes of riding time and I did have a few rests along the way. I have been training on the 1:20 & The Wall and the Wall really helped on some of the steep sections in that the 2 ramps of the wall are about the same gradient as some of the ramps on Donna. The one difference is distance. The 1:20 is 6.4km and The Wall is 5.5km and Donna is about 17km so its the length of time you are riding

I found this site really helpful as it lists and lot of climbs in Victoria http://theclimbingcyclist.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They say the best training for hills is hills but sometimes you just have to make do with what you have got so I would use whats close to home and then make the occasional hill work out count and hit them hard

Good luck :D

YVP
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

averagerider

Postby averagerider » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:10 pm

Thanks for the reply YVP

I live about 40mins away from shepparton, so I think there are hills around dookie (50mins) benalla (1hr or so) euroa (same as benalla) & Mansfield (nearly 2hr)

They are sort of the only places I can think of close to my area

Where are the rides you talk of? The 1:20, the wall and MT Donna Buang.

I thought it would be the case of train on hills to be able to conquer them but was hoping there was another alternative but just might have to gather some brownie points with the family to be able to get out there at least once a week

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:17 pm

mmmm you maybe in a bit of a pickle for some close by hills

a quick strava search indicates that Dookie is your best option, is it 50 min ride of 50 min by car? There are some good cliimbs that if you did a couple of times would certainly give you the kind of workout your after

This one is bloody steep and would hurt even though its only 1.5km http://app.strava.com/segments/1299783" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; not sure if its dirt but I presume tv tower access roads on Mt Major are bitumen

This one is 3km so if you did this 2 or 3 times http://app.strava.com/segments/640901" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; again its around Mt Major

There is a few more, hopefully this link will show you some climbs http://app.strava.com/segments/explore# ... pe/terrain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but I agree you maybe stuck for options

When I talk about the 1:20 & the wall these are climbs on Mt Dandenong in the outer eastern burbs of Melbourne. I only live 15km from the Basin and 10km from Montrose so its a perfect place to get to the Dandys

If your fit and willing to give them a go and onlt have the chance once in a blue moon, why dont you hit the hills anyway, bugger if you have done hill training or not, just give them a crack

Here is a good site that lists most of the big climbs in Vic http://theclimbingcyclist.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; also if your on strava you can search for segments of even use mapmyride and that will give you elevations

As long as your out there riding thats all that matters :D
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

averagerider

Postby averagerider » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:59 pm

YVP it's about 50mins by car

Thanks for all the info, I might just have a crack at these ones first see how I go and then decide from there as to how I go about tackling the others.

I imagine around the dandenongs would be some nice rides.

I will check out the website as well, I follow him on twitter but haven't really had much of a look.

Thanks again.

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:11 pm

There are plenty of nice rides in and around the Dandenongs, I am lucky being so close. Today's ride up Mt Dona Buang was beautiful also, some great views but it was foggy up the top
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:41 pm

averagerider wrote:Thanks for the reply YVP

I live about 40mins away from shepparton, so I think there are hills around dookie (50mins) benalla (1hr or so) euroa (same as benalla) & Mansfield (nearly 2hr)

They are sort of the only places I can think of close to my area

Where are the rides you talk of? The 1:20, the wall and MT Donna Buang.

I thought it would be the case of train on hills to be able to conquer them but was hoping there was another alternative but just might have to gather some brownie points with the family to be able to get out there at least once a week
Warby range outside Wangaratta or the Strathbogies are probably your best bet for hill training. Most of your training can be straight out endurance but you'll need to do some hill repeats to build strength. They don't have to be long hills for that. Devenish-Wangaratta Rd passes over the Warby Range and 3 or 4 km of solid climbing on each side
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

averagerider

Postby averagerider » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:56 am

Sounds good YVP, also i checked out Strava and have found some extra hills which are small but a little closer to home so thanks for your help.

KenGS cheers for your reply its now given me a few different options for some training rides

Much Appreciated

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:37 pm

Planning to get my first stamp tomorrow and do Lake Mountain for the first time.

I am a bit nervous, I hear the first 4.4km is above 8% :shock: thats going to hurt :cry:
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

averagerider

Postby averagerider » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:07 pm

Good luck YVP could you post some feedback about your ride so I can get an idea what it's like

If that's okay with you

Cheers
Hope it goes well

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:02 pm

Well I got my first stamp today with my ride up Lake Mountain.

As I had been told the first 4.4km are insane, average gradient of 8%, maximum of 14%. Needless to say I had to stop and let the heart rate drop a couple of times (it was approaching 200 well over my max) in that 4km .
Once over that section it was a pretty routine climb with an average gradient of 5%, a couple of pinches or around 8% but nothing sustained like the first section. At 21km its a long climb but you do get sections where you can coast a bit. Its a nice climb and in some ways I think Donna Buang is tougher in that the pain is spread out, not in 1 4km section.

It hasnt put me off Mt Buller and hopefully life and weather will not conspire against me this week and I will get my second stamp by the time I go back to work in just over a weeks time
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:11 pm

Well done yvp, great effort. Yep, that first few km of lake mountain is tough! I'm doing a few of the peaks with mates, and was lucky enough to do mt buller with the climbing cyclist/hells 500 group - great experience, if you can, join them for one of the peaks. I did mt Donna buang today, second time I've ever done it, and ur right it's not easy. I commented to a guy up the top, there's no respite, no flats - all climbing for 17km. I reckon it's the 8th peak! Well done again, speaking from experience, you'll find the big hills addictive and want to do more :)
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels"

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:24 pm

Thanks oldnewby

I did Lake Mountain with Matt & Andy today, great organisation and over 150 people made the journey with me. Not sure I can get a leave pass from the boss for their next ride of Buller and am thinking of going it alone this week if I can while I am still on annual leave.

I am getting a little bored on the flats and tend to hit Mt Dandy every weekend. I do plan on hitting Donna a bit more often and yes it should be the 8th but I guess its not part of the relevant tourism broads promotion :D

The best thing for me for where I live, Launching place is 35min and Marysville is just under the hour so I can hit Donna and Lake Mountain with a Sunday morning leave pass, something I can usually negotiate a couple times per month 8)
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:33 pm

I'm from the valley.. went to UYSC, my Dad still lives in Warby.
Oh yeah, didn't realise the CC/Hells 500 Lake Mountain was today, that would have been awesome with 150 people, fantastic!

I actually rode thru Launching Place today, and have a new favourite road I think - Gembrook - Launching place, love it.

Keep up the riding, will hopefully see you out there someday.
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels"

Matt_Matt

Postby Matt_Matt » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:55 am

The near perfect weather, a brilliant climb, coupled with a glorious descent equaled a brilliant day !!

Andy & Matt sure pulled out the day for it .. !!

Matt

averagerider

Postby averagerider » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:44 pm

Congrats YVP, beautiful ride by the sounds of it.
Making it very hard not to have a crack, might just have to save up all my brownie points and get training.

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:45 pm

Thanks averagerider

I would definitely store up the brownie points because I am starting to struggle doing flat rides, not the same amount of satisfaction as climbing a decent hill :D and the descents are great fun also :)

I am planning on hitting Mt Dandy tomorrow morning, I have one week left of annual leave, I need to take advantage of it as I will be back to weekend rides only :cry:
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

OldnSlow

Postby OldnSlow » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:31 pm

Hey YYP

Sounds like you are having a ball playing in the Nongs and Donna Buang, A great ride you might like to try is McMahons Creek to Marysville over the Reefton Spur, once at Marysville you climb to Lake Mountain and then home from there. Or as you are heading to Donna now why not head to Noojee and then do the ride to Baw Baw and back, its a 100k return with great up and down parts, Vespers is a great hill just out of Noojee to ride up and then its pretty good up and down stuff to the base of Mt Baw Baw which is so tantalisingly close to another Stamp for 7peaks

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:34 pm

sounds interesting oldnslow, I might look at that, but next summer

I have only been riding 15 or 16 months and I am just starting out in the hills so one step at a time. Long distance climbs like that might be a little out of reach right now and I wont dare take on baw baw just yet, I will but just not yet, more training needed.

I ended up giving this morning a miss, the legs were hurting and ever since starting my fit life about 2 years ago I have lived by the mantra, I am not playing for sheep stations and listen to your body. To date I have avoided injury so when I woke at 5 with a bit of muscle soreness, a lack of desire I decided to sleep in. I am feeling great for it but I wont get a chance to ride until I take on Buller on Friday. I plan to run tomorrow, use some different muscles :D
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

theprophet

Postby theprophet » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:45 pm

Just my 2c. So my parents own a house up in mt. beauty me and my dad decided to ride up to falls creek (not knowing about the 7 peaks then) anyway so he had his flat bar roadie but I didn't bring my road bike up :( instead I had a bmx so no way was I riding that up so I got my sister to lend me her mountain bike. Problem being its a 17" frame and im probably around 6'1 also i didnt have any cycling shorts with me :? . So we set of in the morning and my lower back was giving me some grief and so was my bum, but i kept going and didn't complain (too much). Long story short the last 5 kilometers where hell full of stops every kilometer or so to rest my poor sore bum but I eventually made it too the top with my dad my ass very sore but my legs feeling fine. Met with the family had a bite too eat and headed back down on the descent when we got back to out house the family told us about the 7 peaks and had got us passports and got them stamped :D.

A couple of days later we did the tawonga gap to bright from mount beauty (mum's hybrid this time) which was fairly easy except or another sore bum :evil:

Then during the heat wave we tried to get up buffalo, I must say I almost died we got maybe a quarter of the way up and i had sweat dripping into my eyes and I was so dizzy I felt like I was about to pass out so we turned around and rode back to bright.

On the long weekend we are going to do lake mountain and donna buang this time I will have my giant and hopefully a 12-28 cassette (instead of 12-23 :? )

Matt_Matt

Postby Matt_Matt » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:56 pm

Matt's blog entry is up for ride 9 ... http://theclimbingcyclist.com/7-peaks-d ... -mountain/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:14 pm

I got my second stamp today up on Mt Buller

It was a tough ride from Mansfield and my strava suffer score was 405 "epic"

It was bloody hot with an average temp of 31 and a max of 40 on the way back to Mansfield. The MT Buller climb took 91min of climbing but 120min elapsed. The last few km's really hurt :cry: but I got up there :D

I am in the group photo from Matt & Andy's ride, Lake Mountain was easier but I didnt ride 30 odd km to get to the base of the climb and it was easy 10 degrees cooler
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

OldnSlow

Postby OldnSlow » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:44 am

Well done YVP, its a good ride from Mansfield but adding Buller to it makes it 'Epic', Great pic with Andy and Matt, I thought I recognised you, you are the one with your hand up. lol

Whats the next mountain for you.

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:27 am

averagerider wrote:I live in a very flat area with the closest hills about an hour or more away, i have a young family (13 week & 3 year old) so going away to train is hard.
... second question what sort of training could i do to replicate climbing.
If you're stuck in the flatlands, you can simulate climbing according to a coach mate - sit up straight, hands on tops, big ring efforts (start small and build up), preferably into a headwind. Any chance of a headwind up there? :wink: