So what happens if I don't "train" and just ride?

toolonglegs

Re: So what happens if I don't "train" and just ride?

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:30 pm

whitey wrote:I've ditched the powermeter and the heart rate monitor for January. Stopped focussing on how many kilometres I'm doing, its been a revelation. Wondering whether to leave the Garmin at home for a while and stop using Strava!
I dumped everything for a year or more... only put a speedo on my bars after that time when I stuffed up a race distance and attacked thinking I was only 10kms from the finish instead of 20 ( and another climb ) :roll: ... strava just runs in my back pocket so I can look later. Been thinking of getting another power meter but you do become a slave to it... and if I want to do a test I can just go and find a tough hill climb on strava and see how my times compare to when I know I was strong.
But really I am just tight :| .

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:02 pm

whitey wrote:I've ditched the powermeter and the heart rate monitor for January. Stopped focussing on how many kilometres I'm doing, its been a revelation. Wondering whether to leave the Garmin at home for a while and stop using Strava!
I agree with TLL, just have Strava running in your pocket and look at it when you get home. It is a good non intrusive way (not in your face) of keeping track of your rides. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:16 pm

run strava in your back pocket? only if you don't need to use your phone, eva, and you never ride more than 4 hours.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:21 pm

winstonw wrote:run strava in your back pocket? only if you don't need to use your phone, eva, and you never ride more than 4 hours.
i got a mophie for my iPhone... Get 10 hours strava time now if I need it... Might be significantly less in winter but I put a heat pad on my phone to keep it alive under -10 :-) .

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:20 am

winstonw wrote:run strava in your back pocket? only if you don't need to use your phone, eva, and you never ride more than 4 hours.
I updated the software on mine a few days ago and I now get nearly two days before throwing it on the charger. :D

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:11 am

foo on patrol wrote:
I updated the software on mine a few days ago and I now get nearly two days before throwing it on the charger. :D

Foo
OK, you are on. Will do the same right now and see what happens. what phone have you got?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:37 am

Samsung Galaxy S2 it was the Samsung software upgrade not some random software. :)

Foo
Goal 6000km

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:13 pm

Foo, I downloaded the latest strava, and couldn't get it to connect to the Strava network 90% of the time.
Meanwhile MapMyRide worked fine.

I also found it quite draining on my Motorola Razr.
I presume you mean you downloaded Samsung's version of gingerbread OS.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:36 pm

I think it was Icecream Winstonw. I don't have any problem connecting to Strava at all so I don't know what the problem there could be.

Foo
Goal 6000km

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:58 pm

foo on patrol wrote:I think it was Icecream Winstonw. I don't have any problem connecting to Strava at all so I don't know what the problem there could be.

Foo
yeah I meant sandwich. I just updated mine to version 4.0.4, the latest available for my phone.
I don't know what the problem was this morning, but I've tried it a few times this arvo, in the car (and set a few koms :) ; quickly deleted though.
Seems to be working ok now. Am going down the track this arvo so will give it a burl then.
Did a hard 45k this morning, so don't know if I'll be too vigorous this arvo....plus I am still recovering from this last Saturday!
http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=488408" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:48 pm

Holy crap Winstonw, that's all hills down there, no wonder you're still getting over it, plus it would have been warm. :shock:

I have not been out the last two days. There is just to much smoke here for me. Cough, cough, gag, splutter. :(
Foo
Goal 6000km

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:04 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Holy crap Winstonw, that's all hills down there, no wonder you're still getting over it, plus it would have been warm. :shock:

I have not been out the last two days. There is just to much smoke here for me. Cough, cough, gag, splutter. :(
Foo
yeah smoke must be full on up there with Bribie burning, according to highly emotive female journalist :roll:
that byron hinterland ride was lots of up and downs. was going ok until the channon, which fried me. middle of the day, no wind, about 30C. not as hot as it could have been. heavy clouds that day. my buddies reckon i was white and smashed when I got to Nimbin....but that look fits in there well :D
kyogle road was welcome relief, as it was flat, then a bit more climbing towards the coast...and a very welcome swim at Potty.

g_dorazio

Postby g_dorazio » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:14 am

Puffy, as others have stated, cycling is about fun and you should enjoy yourself first and foremost. Some love pushing themselves, others cruising and chatting in groups...

If you do want to get better however..... well, if I recount the comment my coach made after I absolutely punished myself in my last time trial: "good ride...but to continue to get faster you need to suffer at least this much in training".