Clip In Fall

Straight_Silver

Clip In Fall

Postby Straight_Silver » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:59 pm

So I was riding up Kent Street in Sydney today towards the bridge going perhaps 10km/h in the cycle lane this afternoon. On my new giant defy with Shimano clip in pedals (about 3 weeks old).
All seemed well in the world till my left foot came unclipped on the up stroke? and I kicked my front wheel.
I then fell sideways.

I fell onto my left hand side with cuts on my arms and a bit of gravel rash on my arm and leg.
Also my helmet took a bit of a knock and has some cracks.

I want to say thank you to the two cyclist (if you are on here) who stopped to see if I was all right. Also my faith in humanity was restored slightly with the number of pedestrians that checked if I was ok.

As I am new to clip ins I am a bit cornered. I am not sure what I did wrong exactly except maybe twist my foot out. One minute all was well then my foot came free and wham! I have read a lot about people stacking at lights but not this. I am thinking that for commuting I should move to pedals with just tow clips?

Also my front right break is jammed against the side of the wheel I will get my LBS to have a look at it I guess.

g-boaf

Re: Clip In Fall

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:56 pm

Was the foot properly clipped in to start with? Seems odd.

Don't give up on them - it is provably just a one off. The brakes might have just turned a bit on their mount. The LBS can check it for you.

Hope you mend quickly.

Straight_Silver

Postby Straight_Silver » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:11 pm

I had pulled away from waiting at lights maybe 30 seconds before the accident. Maybe the where not in properly.

Thanks I hope so to.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:14 pm

Hit LBS explain stack and get bike checked over, especially if forks are carbin

Second clip in whilst hanging onto a pole, clip out and repeat a thousand time. Easy and safe way to get used to the action.

Glad to hear people helped out. Keep riding.

JM

sb944

Postby sb944 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:09 pm

Sometimes you get a noise, but aren't really clipped in, and don't notice for a few spins until your foot comes loose. You get used to hearing for "the click" before thinking you are definitely in, and giving a little trial pull up when you aren't sure.

Also, you'll build up a more solid balance and be able to make some mistakes and not cause an accident soon enough.

Straight_Silver

Postby Straight_Silver » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:41 pm

Sydguy wrote:Hit LBS explain stack and get bike checked over, especially if forks are carbin
Yes the forks are carbon I will get them to check
sb944 wrote:Sometimes you get a noise, but aren't really clipped in, and don't notice for a few spins until your foot comes loose. You get used to hearing for "the click" before thinking you are definitely in, and giving a little trial pull up when you aren't sure.
Just to clarify when the pedal is at the very top give an extra tug to make sure you are locked in?

Thanks

Rockford

Postby Rockford » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:34 pm

At the bottom of the stroke, just wiggle your foot a tiny bit and see if you can pull your shoe upwards (you shouldn't be able to) also check there are no bits of mud/gravel/pebbles in the cleats as these will stop it engaging smoothly.

richbee

Postby richbee » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:56 am

After nearly 20 years riding with an assortment of Look, Campagnolo, Shimano, and various other clipless pedals I've come to the conclusion that clipless falls are inevitable, hence I've developed a cyclists form of the parachute roll to protect my delicate carbon frame and forks.
No video, that I know of :oops: , so cannot demonstrate the technique...

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:18 am

+1 to a jiggle/pull with each foot on the first couple of rotations to making sure you really are clipped in. Also check the tension on the pedals, some LBS will set it rather loose if you tell them its your first time. Makes clipping out a lot easier which is great if its intentional, not so much if it isnt.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

boss

Postby boss » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:48 am

I agree, it happens, a couple of times I have thought I'd clipped in only to find my foot come off a 20m later. Didn't crash but did get a bit wonky!

The times when this happens, there is definitely distinguishable difference in feel when you clip in. You get a noise, but the way you clip in feels different.

Having said that, it only took a few weeks of getting used to clips and I haven't had the problem since.

Personally, I've been riding clips for 3-4 months now and have only had two clip stacks. Both were completely avoidable, not your typical 'forget to clip out at the traffic lights'. First time I came down a hill, then turned a corner and headed up a particularly steep hill... in top gear. Couldn't pedal and was scared to downshift, tipped over. The second time I was messing about and did an endo, but again was in too high a gear to pedal away, tipped over.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:04 am

Good recommendations above. To add one, check your pedal motion. Some people have a habit of rotating their foot out or in at a certain angle within the pedal cycle. This may have just touched on the limit of pedal float, leading to those very occasional accidental clip out. It's always a good idea to ensure the cleat is adjusted so that the range of natural foot movement is well contained within its float range. Otherwise I agree with others that the most likely is an incorrectly clipped in foot. Learn to recognise the sound of proper clipping in and test.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:17 am

Is it correct to assume you were pulling up when you unclipped ? if so give up on that bit, not the whole show. It's actually better to give your legs recovery time on the upstroke anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:59 am

sogood wrote:Good recommendations above. To add one, check your pedal motion. Some people have a habit of rotating their foot out or in at a certain angle within the pedal cycle. This may have just touched on the limit of pedal float, leading to those very occasional accidental clip out. It's always a good idea to ensure the cleat is adjusted so that the range of natural foot movement is well contained within its float range. Otherwise I agree with others that the most likely is an incorrectly clipped in foot. Learn to recognise the sound of proper clipping in and test.
This was my first thought also.

brentono

Postby brentono » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:16 pm

sogood wrote:... check your pedal motion. Some people have a habit of rotating their foot out or in at a certain angle within the pedal cycle...
+1
Fixed gear (<70") can teach you how to pedal.
Hope you went "Pro" and laughed when it happened. 8)
Get back on the horse.
Cheers
:mrgreen:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:29 pm

Clip stacks happen - it's like death and taxes.
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

JohnJoyner

Postby JohnJoyner » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:28 pm

[quote="sb944"]Sometimes you get a noise, but aren't really clipped in, and don't notice for a few spins until your foot comes loose. You get used to hearing for "the click" before thinking you are definitely in, and giving a little trial pull up when you aren't sure.

+1..
I often do this after taking off & I plan to stand & put a bit of effort in. On your upstroke give a pull just to make sure you're properly clipped in. A few times I have thought I was clipped in & my foot came out, which is why I quite often to the little double check.
But definitely stick with it... And yes, falls are part & parcel early on...

Straight_Silver

Postby Straight_Silver » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:27 pm

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. I figure I will stick with them and check to make sure I am clipped in.

Went to the doctors and I have a bit of soft tissue damage but I should be right as rain and hopefully on the bike in no time. Once my lbs gives it the once over.

Cheers

Cruiserman

Postby Cruiserman » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:34 pm

Only ever pulled the foot out once in 20 years. The tension on my old looks had slackened off and messing about on the way home fairly reeling on the pedals on a downhill section of a cycle path pulled the left foot out which caused me to take to the paddock on the side of the path and head directly for a power pole. Managed to miss it got back under control and rode the last couple of Kay's home rather more subdued and with a squishy feeling in the Knicks. Always checked the tension since.
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:39 pm

Straight_Silver wrote: Also my helmet took a bit of a knock and has some cracks.

Buy a new helmet and bin the old one.
2010 BMC SLC01

Saturnstarzz

Postby Saturnstarzz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:29 pm

Yeah I agree hammer through the helmet , Take some photos of it and the manufacturer "might" replace it for you at a discounted rate.