Good LBSes in Melbourne re bike fitting

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Good LBSes in Melbourne re bike fitting

Postby adaml » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:16 pm

I'm looking to buy my first road bike after a few years as a cycle commuter and occasional MTBer. I have a budget of $1500, which doesn't have to include the various accessories and clothing etc. My main priority is finding a LBS that will take the time to get the fit right and is willing to swap components to make this happen (at my expense). I'm completely new to road bikes so I'll be relying heavily on the shop staff. When I bought my commuter and MTB, however, the 'fit' consisted of them seeing if they could raise the saddle high enough.

I'm also rather tall (6'4", 194cm) so they'd need to have the later sizes built up and in stock.

Are there any shops in Melbourne that are especially good for this, particularly for someone who's 'only' buying a $1500 bike?
adaml

by BNA » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:27 pm

BNA

Re: Good LBSes in Melbourne re bike fitting

Postby DoogleDave » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:27 pm

Where abouts in Melb are you Adam?

It might be worthwhile getting a bike fit done BEFORE you go shopping.
By doing this they will be able to tell you what geometries/bikes/frames will suit you along with what size you should get, stem length, crank length etc.
This way when you find the bike you like you can ask the shop to sell it to you with the recommended parts already on the bike.

When I get back from holidays I'm going to see Chris at BikeCoach.com (he is in Sunbury which is only a 10min drive from me).

Otherwise there are good reports about:
Total Rush (Richmond)
Cycle Science (Mitcham)

I'm sure there are others as well.

Something to consider. The cost will probably be around the $150-$200 mark but it will be worth it so you don't get sold a bike from someone who is just trying to fit you to whatever they are selling....and you'll be getting a bike with a geometry that suits you.

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S
DoogleDave

Postby adaml » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:47 pm

Thanks for the advice Doug. I'm in Brunswick, which would make Richmond the closest of the places you mentioned. That said, I'd be happy to travel if someone was particularly recommended.

I hadn't thought about doing the fitting separately, but it is a good idea, especially as I could then close from a wider range of bikes rather than one store's stock. I wouldn't mind paying the money if it comes down to it because I'd rather have a $1300 bike that fit properly than a $1500 one that didn't.
adaml

Postby brit_in_oz » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:44 pm

adaml wrote:Thanks for the advice Doug. I'm in Brunswick, which would make Richmond the closest of the places you mentioned. That said, I'd be happy to travel if someone was particularly recommended.

I hadn't thought about doing the fitting separately, but it is a good idea, especially as I could then close from a wider range of bikes rather than one store's stock. I wouldn't mind paying the money if it comes down to it because I'd rather have a $1300 bike that fit properly than a $1500 one that didn't.

Bear in mind the type of fit you want, some places focus more on a racing fit than a comfort fit, so make it clear what you are after before you start
Don't mistake lack of talent for genius
brit_in_oz

Postby danny the boy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:29 pm

This bloke in Sandringham http://www.bikehound.com.au/bikehound/ runs a businees that does the fit first and then tracks down the best fitting bike for you.
danny the boy

Return to Buying a bike / parts