Richmond Bakery Wednesday Ride

skull

Re: Richmond Bakery Wednesday Ride

Postby skull » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:39 pm

master6 wrote: Apology to urban dictionary; they were talking about another activity that leaves one effed, and todays ride left me feeling that way. PMM man and his band rode away from me; can I blame this on the fact that I did not wear my PMM shirt today?
getting old?

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:52 pm

skull wrote:getting old?
Not a bit. Just recovered from a severe bout of hypochondria, and resultant five weeks off the bike.

I have my sights set on PMM man. :D

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:50 pm

Yesterdays RBWR featured 19 eager starters in the ride proper, and a rebellious pair, led by fixedlegs, who absconded to places unknown. Two clockwise laps of Richmond, Grasstree Hill Rd, Back Tea Tree rd, Tea Tree rd, and Middle Tea Tree Rd were ridden, with the pace quickening a tad as Tea Tree Rd was entered the second time. What happened from that point is a little unclear, as, despite my personal magnificence, I am, as yet, unable to see around corners, or over hills.
PMM man beat me home for the second time in as many weeks, and I swear that I will either slash his tyres or my wrists if this happens again next week.
The Richmond Bakery garden setting was the scene of delicious bakery product consumption, and of course the best coffee on the planet.
Several of Tasmanias problems were resolved under the influence of caffeine, Lance Armstrong was crucified, and all were happy to see Denis in good shape after overcoming some fitness challenges. The consensus of opinion seemed to be that any cyclist worth discussing would be/has been a drug cheat. I am going along with that conclusion as it explains the differences in performance between them and us :D

fixedlegs2012

Postby fixedlegs2012 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:41 pm

Fixed Legs and the man known as Pete? :shock: took on Brown Mtn. Having never ridden on such road decided after strtaing out towards the slopes of Cole Hill that a Mtn must be climbed and climbed it was, without knowing thy end, when the road became immpassable by road bike the turna round point was located and we turned around for the coffee sprint home.

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:23 pm

fixedlegs2012 wrote:Fixed Legs and the man known as Pete? :shock: took on Brown Mtn. Having never ridden on such road decided after strtaing out towards the slopes of Cole Hill that a Mtn must be climbed and climbed it was, without knowing thy end, when the road became immpassable by road bike the turna round point was located and we turned around for the coffee sprint home.
Giant Pete, my RBWRomometer suggests that caffeine might not be the performance enhancer chosen by fixedlegs this evening. Do you have another version to recite?

fixedlegs2012

Postby fixedlegs2012 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:47 pm

Spelling police!!! :cry:

master6

Postby master6 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:58 am

On serious note, we are restoring/rebuilding old bikes at the Sorell Mens Shed to assist kids who lost bikes in the fires. Any bike in any condition will be useful to us, even if it has only one decent component. Dont worry about whether you are dumping old junk on us, as, at the end of the exercise, any waste/rubbish/leftovers etc will go into metal recycling. Your old bike might have just the one item we need to get another kid back on wheels. Helmets could be handy too.
The Mens Shed is at Station Lane Sorell. If unattended, please leave at the gate. The Shed opens about 9.30am Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday.

Someone will love your old bike.

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:01 pm

Not having much luck with a post - third time logging in so hopefully I don't need to type again again.

It was raining in old Hobart Town and in Cambribdge and in Seven Mile Beach. Richmond - beautiful - that's why we go there - not to forget the bakery of course!

Nineteen keen riders headed north on a course I remembered from the dim dark past where we turned left at the Colebrook Pub and went over the little hill and along the valley for a while on a road that I couldn't remember the name of. Yep - it was a long time ago. Any way the elft turn in Colebrook is at the shop and the little hill is a nasty pinch and the valley road is dirt and not sealed. :? Oops. :| Never mind - we struggled up the hill and turned at the top before the dirt making sure that we didn't return before PMM Man had struggled hi way to the top. :P

The tri p back was fine with a second interuption on Cole Hill for road repairs. The head wind kept most together for most of the trip. An unfortunate touch of wheels saw a rider on the deck on the way back. Another reminder to all of us to be more cautious than we usually are.

Coffee was great as ususal and chats continued on for a while. It was around this time that I remembered that we turned left at the pub in Campania and not Colebrook shop. Ooops again. I might scout this one before we head that way again.

fixedlegs2012

Postby fixedlegs2012 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:05 pm

Who was it that went down and any injuries? :?:

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:44 pm

:cry:
fixedlegs2012 wrote:Who was it that went down and any injuries? :?:
Most damaged feature today was my ego. Refuse to discuss further. :|

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:45 pm

Magnificent weather in the Richmond sunshine state today. Around 20 riders went over Grasstree Hill, East Derwent, Baskerville, Teatree, Water Tower, and home on Campania Rd. The grinding hills from the Derwent to the Brighton outskirts provoked a motion from one "that EPO be legalised for riders over 60". On closer examination it was discovered that the motion mover was indeed astride a Trek! Further discussion on the motion heard him disclose that Trek bicycles come from the LBS with a lifetime supply of EPO. Coffee of course was of the usual Richmond Bakery high standard, and whilst Brian P swears by a dose of porridge within 15 minutes of dismounting, I can vouch for the goodness and value in the caramel and date slice.
Wednesday morning in Richmond...............what more could you wish for?

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:25 pm

RBWR has come of age. Evidence was discovered this morning indicating that the local policeman has been actively clearing the bakery carpark in order to accommodate the 20 or so starters in the wednesday ride.
Cant be long now before the Royal Seal of Approval is received.
RRBWR. Get your tongue around that :D
In the meantime, an invitation has been extended to The First Man to attend a ride. Some of the coffee time was devoted to discussion about the merits of small hands :oops:

We did some riding too. Out to the top of Cole Hill , back to Fingerpost rd, over to Orielton, and just for fun, a head wind up the back of Brinktop to get back to heaven, err, otherwise known as Richmond. Just over 20 riders won today, with Rod and Rob taking awards for inflicting pain whilst going up hill.
Next Wednesdays ride is on the eve of the "Ronde" start around the state.
Dale has reserved a couple of spots for late starters, so if interested, get in touch with him via this page. He will be continuously checking this page for the next 24 hours, in order tp take his mind off a meeting with his dentist :cry:

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:19 pm

The Ronde Van Diemens Land ( http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 20&t=49628" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) heads off tomorrow, and this saw some regulars "resting up" today, and the Benevolent one taking a steady solo ride, away from the madness crowd, so that he could contemplate the 45 knot headwinds forecast for his faithful tomorrow and Thursday.
Fifteen headed out onto the traditional teatree course, with Brian not making the start due to a delivery cropping up along the way to Richmond. We counted Brian as a "half", because he made the post ride coffee fest; that makes 15.5 riders for the day. Pace was steady (Sam was away) and the old courtesy of waiting to regroup on Water Tower Hill on the way home was revisited. This is a nice touch, and gives everyone a chance to finish with the group. Roadworks 4km from home brought an unexpected halt for a moment, and a pleasant chat with the proud driver of the 323/Laser. On the way back to Sorell, post ride, I pedalled up to a cycling couple from Midway Point. During a brief chat I ascertained that they do a regular ride of about 60km, taking in Fingerpost Rd, and Brinktop. On answering their questions about my ride for the day, I received " Oh you are with the people heading off around Tasmania tomorrow?" Well, no, but how word travels. I was able to inform them of the merits of RBWR before we parted company. "I reckon I could do that" she said. He agreed.
Todays winners...........16.5 of them to be precise :D

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:44 pm

Ah - the serenity of it all.

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:21 pm

Its an election year. Like would be politicians, or the encumbents wanting to extend the free ride on the Canberra gravy train, 14 riders left Richmond; no, 13 left Richmond at the strike of 9am. One left later, and had a brisk chase.
The journey was a "meet and greet" the homecoming Ronde Van Diemens Land riders. The exercise lacked the traditional baby kissing activity so favoured by our political animals, and instead, offered the thrills of Black Charlies, Bust me Gall, and Break me Neck. Obviously this highway was named before the bicycle came into being, as there is no hill called "Snap me F Legs".
Coffee, indeed, several opined that it was very good coffee, was enjoyed at Buckland, whilst we awaited the arrival of the 'Ronde" leaders. Pete, Brian, and Roscoe loomed into sight, and the rush back to Hobart was on. Up hill on Break me Neck, up a few others, slip streaming down Bust me Gall, and Black Charlies, and the fun went on.
Our kind regards to the working classes who kept the country prospering while we cycled today :D

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:39 pm

RobRollin wrote:1 more sleep...... :shock:

Maybe a deal could be struck I need a pace setter for the climbs...... :wink:
Have not seen you for a long time RobRollin. There is another bloke about, strongly resembling you. I saw him briefly in Richmond this morning. Do you have a twin? :D

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:48 pm

A large field menaced the Richmond Bakery car park again this morning. Two laps of Grasstree Hill Rd, Back Tea Tree Rd, and Middle Tea Tree Rd was the course chosen by the now trim taut, and terrific (and 10kg lighter) BenevolentdictatorD. Plenty of chatter, two sprints up from the duck pond, one puncture, over 20 winners, and the best coffee as is usual at Richmond Bakery.

Dont you just love it :D ?

bazsand

Postby bazsand » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:13 pm

I did notice today that the start time was 0900:01. Seems like the RBWR leader has become a little bit more relaxed about the start time now that he has a little bit more time on his hands :D
Other than leaving late it was a great ride with the usual surges that are expected on a Wednesday.
Felt AR2

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:06 pm

bazsand wrote:I did notice today that the start time was 0900:01. Seems like the RBWR leader has become a little bit more relaxed about the start time now that he has a little bit more time on his hands :D
Other than leaving late it was a great ride with the usual surges that are expected on a Wednesday.
Well spotted Baz. NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Our leader might be becoming soft. I noticed that he showed concern for someone who came without a helmet. That has not happened previously.
Our motto is:-

"STIFF PAL; SEE YA".

Just joking :D Behaviour today was most charitable. We regrouped a couple of times, and waited for someone with a puncture :D

fixedlegs2012

Postby fixedlegs2012 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:15 pm

turned up at 815, pre ride coffee, and waited for Peter the Publican and then.....cassette came loose, turned around and had another coffee, a enjoyable morning though and still got out this afternoon!

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:21 pm

fixedlegs2012 wrote:turned up at 815, pre ride coffee, and waited for Peter the Publican and then.....cassette came loose, turned around and had another coffee, a enjoyable morning though and still got out this afternoon!
40nm (29FTLB) on the tension wrench Rob, and the cassette will luv ya :oops: Sorry, coffee at Richmond is good, very good, but not that good; it cant fix lose cassettes :cry:

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:24 pm

Twelve thousand and forty six............??............; that cant be right! :roll:

Nineteen superb examples of human well being took part in another RBWR this morning. :D

The course was Richmond, Middle Tea Tree Rd, Tea Tree Rd, Back Tea Tree Rd, into Richmond, out the north road toward Campania, into Finger Post Rd, down the Tasman Highway toward Sorell, and over Brinktop to the eagerly sought refreshments at Richmond Bakery.

Twelve thousand and forty six is the number of viewings of this thread.

Feel free to speak up. How many of you have yet to land in Tasmania?

Lanterne Rouge

Postby Lanterne Rouge » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:53 am

In the absence of the usual journalists, here goes ...

RBWR 6/3/13

More perfect weather greeted the 14 or so RBWR regulars plus one new starter. Route selection proved challenging without the benevolent one. With Colebrook eventually decided upon, the trip out was comfortable and relatively uneventful. A re-group at the top of Cole Hill to remove sticky rocks from tyres etc followed by a roll into Colebrook itself. The ingestion of various solid foods, substances in bottles etc which may require further investigation was the precursor to a nervous, probing climb followed by a furious descent of Cole Hill after which the scribe saw nothing more ...

Post-match reports have it that RW with a full time-trial front end powered into Richmond at the head of the field. At the other end of proceedings the PMM man was comprehensively outwitted for the lanterne rouge.

Coffee, cake, conversation, dodgy poetry, porridge enjoyed by all. The conviviality considerably enhanced by the presence of Olmanec edging ever closer to his much anticipated return to the bike.

(a 24 hour delay will apply to this as a first post, by which time it may well be superseded - so be it!)

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:57 pm

yesterday............................................................................

bazsand

Postby bazsand » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:01 pm

master6 wrote:yesterday............................................................................
Since no-one that does the report was there................16 riders, maybe less?? or it could have been more?? took off heading north up to Colebrook into a slight head wind. Brian had suggested we do the Baskerville loop but he was over rulled by PMM man as he claimed to be 3IC, Someone else who shall remain namless (probably me)suggested we just ride from the carpark to the table where we have coffee, but that was over rulled too as PMM man had a devious & cunning plan with the PMM lead out train to win the sprint (me & Stewie, who were in discuise not wearing our PMM gear to throw everyone off the scent). The plan failed with 59kms of the 60km ride to go as PMM man was apparently feeling a bit under the weather (I just thought he was being a sook :roll: ). The ride out was pretty uneventfull & at a steady pace, probably caused by the wind. Rob W won the KOM up Colebrook hill so I am told, as I was too far back to be able to tell. Clive pull off a PR up there too into a head wind, great effort :D .

Once we turned at Colebrook the though of a nice coffee caused the pace to pick up, Rob W started a lone breakaway but was realed back in,sort of anyway. Apparently he was the first back but then I have no idea as I wasn't anywhere near the front. I also believe he lead nearly all the way in too. I heard from a somewhat reliable source that the group broke up gradually with riders dropping off the back randomly as the kms ticked by,caused by the incesant pace, but I have no clue about that either only going on heresay......All I can report really is that the coffee & conversation was good, whith no mention of any mens problems :? .....very unusal I know but it did happen....

Hopefully the dictator will be back next week so we can get a decent report of what happened......
Felt AR2