A bit of a challenge

Lots of steel bikes

A bit of a challenge

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:41 am

I bought this KTM Strada SL because It was a lesser known brand, a good size for me and I had a nice chrome fork ready to go. I now find that the headset required is an obscure Austrian size. Not JIS or ISO. Should be good fun playing around with shims. Let me know if you happen to have an Austrian headset lying around. Not sure if the bottom bracket will also be an obscure size.

WyvernRH

Re: A bit of a challenge

Postby WyvernRH » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:16 pm

Check to see if you have Swiss bottom bracket threads as well before you buy anything for that area :wink:
Cheers
Richard

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:10 pm

WyvernRH wrote:Check to see if you have Swiss bottom bracket threads as well before you buy anything for that area :wink:
Cheers
Richard
Thanks Richard, just checked and luckily it's English threaded.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:43 pm

Used a JIS headset with shims. Also shimmed the seat tube to use a 26.8 Dura Ace seatpost. Have a dura ace 7400 rear derailleur to mount and looking for a 7400 or earlier with band for the front. Have put on modern ultegra cranks until I find an appropriate dura ace crankset.

The build so far...

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:37 am

Nice bars & head badge
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:26 pm

KTM have a distributer in Australia for their bikes and is a wild-card option to see if through them you can get what you need, ebay overseas however may be a better bet.
Cycling is in my BNA

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:41 pm

Looks pretty schmick and I like your angle on the scarcity, at least down under.

Can you tell us anything else about the frame? I am guessing early to mid 80s..... ? Any indication of what the tubing is ? Weight ?
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:37 am

HappyHumber wrote:Looks pretty schmick and I like your angle on the scarcity, at least down under.

Can you tell us anything else about the frame? I am guessing early to mid 80s..... ? Any indication of what the tubing is ? Weight ?
The head badge would indicate mid 80s. Here is a pic of the remains of the columbus decal. Might be helpfull. Don't know the weight but seems very light for its large size. Can't find very much on the web about these frames. I've added a couple more pics.