How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

jasonc

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:39 am

multi-hop commute via daughter's swimming. was HOT.
king tide was coming up along bicentennial bikeway and was not far short of coming up over the path near oxley's on the river.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:19 pm

gretaboy wrote:
jasonc wrote:
TailWind wrote:Working from home for the next couple of days, got all the high-intensity stuff out of the way. Nice to have a break, but the commuting mileage will suffer.
you're just giving gretaboy a chunky headstart
Jason, TW is simply returning the favour from last year :lol: life is about give and take
Just pacing myself :mrgreen:
Pleasant ride back yesterday via the LBS in Ivanhoe, then the old local in Eaglemont, onwards along the Banyule Trail. The day had started cool and somewhat miserably, but cleared up nicely in the afternoon.
See you Monday!
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:20 pm

rode home with my boss and an old workmate. unfortunately my boss now has a quicker time on a strava segment than me. I can see an effort coming.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:35 am

Ended up being a warm one this morning. Fantastic day to be riding...early in the morning that is. Supposed to hit a max of between 40-43 today so ride home will be a hot but easy one.

Have increased my morning commute distance to now be 60 k's in total and am feeling it. Next week will be my biggest ever if I can commute the full five days

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:46 am

warm, humid and smokey this morning. not a great mix for exerting effort. so i didn't. still got to work hot and sweaty.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:42 pm

I had an utterly awesome commute to work this morning via mt Cootha and gap creek on the mtb. We then headed into the city via kenmore, the western freeway and finally the bicentennial bikeway.

Just an awesome way to start the day.

Only downside was I don't think I've ever sweated as much on a bike. As I stood up after the cafe I had sweat running down my legs after wicking out if my shorts. :o. If ridden in the rain and not been that wet before. :mrgreen:

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:43 pm

Comedian wrote:Only downside was I don't think I've ever sweated as much on a bike. As I stood up after the cafe I had sweat running down my legs after wicking out if my shorts. :o. If ridden in the rain and not been that wet before. :mrgreen:
My net weight loss with this morning's 41km ride - 1.4 kg = litres.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:13 pm

Commutes have been getting hotter and hotter and the sweat is increasing to the point it's started to run into my eyes and on my glasses. Have got myself a cycling cap which has made a world of difference. No longer does my helmet rain.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 pm

just checked the radar...my home location is saying 37 and the wind is going to be a headwind currently running at 17k/h

my upside...last ride for the week before two days of non riding

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:19 pm

winstonw wrote:
Comedian wrote:Only downside was I don't think I've ever sweated as much on a bike. As I stood up after the cafe I had sweat running down my legs after wicking out if my shorts. :o. If ridden in the rain and not been that wet before. :mrgreen:
My net weight loss with this morning's 41km ride - 1.4 kg = litres.
Nasty! :)

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:10 pm

gretaboy wrote:just checked the radar...my home location is saying 37 and the wind is going to be a headwind currently running at 17k/h

my upside...last ride for the week before two days of non riding
well my ride was a hot one. The electronic sign of the bowling club in my little town stated the temp was 43. It certainly felt like it. I am now feeling very drained but made it with no incidents which s always good

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:49 pm

good ride home. went for a few efforts (one successful). After one effort I turned around to offer a tube to a bloke who had a flat. Ran into an old workmate. Was good to have a chat. Waved at another old workmate too.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:27 am

slept in (don't use an alarm clock which means I must have needed it) and then rode to work with the kitchen sink on my back. smokey again. felt a bit cooler this morning too.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:45 am

what a change from friday...cool and overcast to the point I put a wet weather jacket on. Without any rain it got too hot however so off it came. Did get some drizzle during the ride but nothing too bad and also had a good headwind, currently blowing at 44k/h according to the BOM.

Just got to hope it keeps blowing that hard and in the same direction this afternoon.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:03 am

Ahhh, back into the normal routine. Reasonable ride in at my regular early hour - 4:30am start. Nice and quiet.
Today marks the day when the last time I used public transport or any other non-cycling form of transport was exactly two years ago :)
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:26 pm

Forgot to mention...on my daily commute there is another rider who commutes daily. He is in the next town over from me. Have ridden with him a few times last year and he is supposedly well known around the area for his riding. This morning was the first morning I have seen him in a long time.

Well we were chatting away and I told him about how many k's I had done. He informed me that he had ridden 24 500 something kilometres in commuting himself last year..and this is after he told me that he had been on leave/holidays since November. Asked him how many k's a day he does and he said something like 100 roughly. He reckons when he was a bit crazy/focused he did 1000 a week for a twelve week period (not sure if that was last year or years gone past).

Now thats a lot of k's.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:21 pm

well as i commute to work i should really be posting in here,

ride was okies, late for work, left at 1/4 to 12 and well it's a 45 min ride, so was a little late :P bloody hot at 34 degrees but o wells, hopefully tonight's ride will be better :)

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:24 pm

Perth:

Very muggy. And somewhat before I got to work I was starting to feel a trifle tired, though that is more likely the legacy of a very long weekend ride and a little extra weights work last night.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:37 pm

Excellent commute this morning.
- First up, I'm going to be riding the good bike to work this week due to a wheel repair on the commuter.
- Second, I got a fantastic draft behind a cement truck this morning. 50+ kph without any pedalling :)
- Third, some guy on a flatbar with panniers went past at full speed. Couldn't allow that to happen, so rectified the situation abruptly!
- Fourth, a small peloton formed along Barangaroo which split at the beggining of the climb up to the SHB. I was sitting behind a guy on a 'Dale who seemed to be in a hurry so I sat on his wheel until we hit the bridge and then executed a pass that he didn't recover from :)

The only downer to the whole trip was the Garmin playing up.

All in all, a very satisfying start to the week!

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:49 pm

First commute after holidaying for the last 3 weeks - and it was a great morning, with it not being as hot today compared to the last couple of days. Cagers were all well behaved too and i found out that i did 2x strava PB's on the way into work as well. Hopefully i'll dodge the forcasted rain for the ride home. I've doubled the distance goal that i've set myself compared to last year (it was 2K although i managed 2.5K in 2012) & hope to shed some kilos in doing the extra distance. Wish me luck!

Halo cap getting a real workout, but works really well in keeping the sweat out of my eyes/glasses. Best investment ever.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:54 pm

are you aloud to add km's to your commute on you way to or from ? as long as your going home to work , and work to home ?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:55 pm

poohkies wrote:are you aloud to add km's to your commute on you way to or from ? as long as your going home to work , and work to home ?
yes. there's a number of us in here (tailwind, simonn, gretaboy and myself) who do the endomondo ACF commuting challenge. as long as the ride is replacing another form of transport then it counts. e.g. a weekend ride to the coffee shop and back is not a commute. a ride to pick up milk and back is a commute. a ride to work via the riverloop is a commute. a ride down the coast while your wife and kids drive down isn't a commute (as a drive has still occurred). does that make sense?

in terms of the target bars in our signatures, that includes all kms.

hope I haven't confused you (and hope everyone agrees)

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:53 am

jasonc wrote:
poohkies wrote:are you aloud to add km's to your commute on you way to or from ? as long as your going home to work , and work to home ?
yes. there's a number of us in here (tailwind, simonn, gretaboy and myself) who do the endomondo ACF commuting challenge. as long as the ride is replacing another form of transport then it counts. e.g. a weekend ride to the coffee shop and back is not a commute. a ride to pick up milk and back is a commute. a ride to work via the riverloop is a commute. a ride down the coast while your wife and kids drive down isn't a commute (as a drive has still occurred). does that make sense?

in terms of the target bars in our signatures, that includes all kms.

hope I haven't confused you (and hope everyone agrees)
Here are a couple of attempted definitions of a bicycle commute:
- "A bike ride undertaken to one or more destinations for any purpose other than the ride itself" (TailWind)
- "Any trip by bicycle that replaces one that would have been by another transport means (ie car)" (westab)

Pleasant rides yesterday afternoon and this morning.
Barely any wind riding into the Melbourne CBD, but my efforts were undone by the lights not going in my favour.
The path between Dalton and Tasman Roads along the Ring Road appears to be closed (at least it's fenced off), but upon investigating it this morning, the path is perfectly serviceable at this point. Had to duck under at least 5 of these orange plastic construction type fences though.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:30 am

Perth:

Holy crud! 5am and it was already 31 C. I gotta head out in this in twenty minute time. :cry:

Well, at least if anyone collides with another they will just safely slide off each other. The humidity is as so bad it's greasy. I think I should move to queensland. It can't be any worse.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:45 am

Ride home yesterday was interesting. Winds were howling and luckily for me they were going my way. I had recently noticed that someone had added a new Strava segment on my commute home route. It happens to be pretty much right at the end of my commute home too :(. Well yesterday with the winds in my favour I decided I would give this new segment a crack. I saved my legs for the 43 odd k's leading up to it and put bugger all effort in. Getting closer to the segment start point I cranked the legs up and started putting some serious effort in...gave it all I had, well maybe had a bit left in the tank.

Got home and was keen, very keen to see if I had got it, but had to go to boxercise so left it. Once I got to work this morning everything was uploaded and to my great relief I had grabbed the KOM. Am pretty chuffed.

This mornings ride was uneventful, about the only upside was I was able to get an 30 k average for the 60 k distance. Last couple of rides I havent been getting a 30+ average so this was good.