Question about UCI License: Audax membership

thecaptn

Question about UCI License: Audax membership

Postby thecaptn » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:31 pm

Hi All,

I recently joined Audax Australia and a UCI Race License is required for entry which I agreed to.

Just out of interest, can anyone please tell me are there any non-Audax race formats which this License may be used for? I'm sorry but I dont have any specifics as to the exact type of license it is and have been unable to retreive this information from Audax's site.

I'm perfectly ignorant about bike racing/clubs etc. and would appretiate any help which may be forthcoming.

Thanks,
Pete

Gassy

Re: Question about UCI License: Audax membership

Postby Gassy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:42 pm

The audax membership is a silver category or recreational licence. ( Same as BMXA, MTBA). $60, but you get the insurance cover for events and training. You can't use it to race. For racing you need a gold licence. For masters(+35) it is a $132 upgrade.
I'm not sure that there are any events that you can use it for other than Audax, BMX or MTB. You may get a small discount on some of the granfondos that are around ??
I've been an audax member for years but upgraded recently to ride a few criteriums with southern masters.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:12 pm

Thank's, that's what I wanted to know. There are road and MTB races held localy to here(west gippsland), I wouldn't mind doing a MTB race but would have to get used to doing the local bunch ride before thinking about a road race.

Pete

simonn

Postby simonn » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:38 pm

What Gassy said. You can usually get day licenses for racing $20 IIRC, so you need to race more than 6-7 times a year to make it worth getting a gold license.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:35 pm

simonn wrote:What Gassy said. You can usually get day licenses for racing $20 IIRC, so you need to race more than 6-7 times a year to make it worth getting a gold license.
Thank's that's good to know.

toppity

Postby toppity » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:44 pm

thecaptn wrote:Thank's, that's what I wanted to know. There are road and MTB races held localy to here(west gippsland), I wouldn't mind doing a MTB race but would have to get used to doing the local bunch ride before thinking about a road race.

Pete
Hi Pete, there are bunch rides just about every day out of warragul. On sundays there are at least 3 that I know of catering for all abilities. Road racing happens weekly and 3 race licences are avialable. There is a criterium race at warragul tommorow night in fact. There is also a growing track group.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:09 pm

Hi Pete, there are bunch rides just about every day out of warragul. On sundays there are at least 3 that I know of catering for all abilities. Road racing happens weekly and 3 race licences are avialable. There is a criterium race at warragul tommorow night in fact. There is also a growing track group.[/quote]

Cool thank's.
I've been riding for years but have only just bought my first road bike. I'm loving it, can't stop riding it. I've never been able to go so far so fast before.
I'll check with one of the LBS's to find out which ride to try.

toppity

Postby toppity » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:51 pm

^^ i suggest you try Chilli Cycles in Warragul.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:51 pm

Or Phil and Mark at Bikeland!!!

Both are very good shops and people to deal with.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL