Bike Fit in Sydney

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
calvinlsyd

Bike Fit in Sydney

Postby calvinlsyd » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:57 pm

I think i need a bike fit as my right knee started to hurt after i do long distance i.e. 60km+
tried to adjust the cleat but no help.

does anyone have any recommendation in sydney?
not too expensive > $150.

Cheers

le_quiet_uno

Re: Bike Fit in Sydney

Postby le_quiet_uno » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:12 pm

calvinlsyd wrote:I think i need a bike fit as my right knee started to hurt after i do long distance i.e. 60km+
tried to adjust the cleat but no help.

does anyone have any recommendation in sydney?
not too expensive > $150.

Cheers
Hi Calvin,

Not sure where about you are. If you are in the city, you could try the Atelier De Velo. If you are up north, you could try Turramurra Cyclery.
2009 - Current - BMC SL 01 [2009]
2008 - 2009 - Cervelo R3 [2008]
2007 - 2008 - Trek 1.4 [2005]

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:16 pm

Athlete Lab in Loftus Street Sydney, $300 (non member) or $250 if you are a member.:

http://sydney.athlete-lab.com/site/bikefit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A general disclosure, I'm a member, but wasn't when I got my bike fit done. The branch manager there managed to sort out my bike fit issues completely, tracing it down to little more than cleat positioning and saddle height. :shock: Such simple things that caused so many problems.

They are costly (and I see what you did say about that), but they will get it really right and your health and wellbeing is worth it.

For helping with knee pain, have you thought about Glucosamine/chondroitin tablets? Those will also help you.

nagomonaro

Postby nagomonaro » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:33 pm

If you're in sydney - see Steve Hogg.

george-bob

Postby george-bob » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:55 pm

How much is a bike fit with Steve Hogg?

Pottsy

Postby Pottsy » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:29 pm

Highly recommend getting a BG Fit done. Especially if its done by Kane at Jet Cycles

Rocketrod

Postby Rocketrod » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:39 pm

george-bob wrote:How much is a bike fit with Steve Hogg?
It's on his web site

J-Tim

Postby J-Tim » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:07 pm

george-bob wrote:How much is a bike fit with Steve Hogg?
Having just had my bike fitted by Steve, I can say that while it's quite a large investment, it's well worth the cost.

I highly doubt you'll be able to get a more comprehensive set up anywhere this side of the Pacific.

sb944

Postby sb944 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:08 pm

Or at the very least, read a lot of the amazing blog posts on Steve Hogg's site before getting a fit. He gives a lot of free advice for how to self diagnose fit issues, and also how to spot a fitter who is only going to do an average job.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:52 am

I get all my bikes fitted up by Steve Hogg. Just picked up a Cervelo and got Hogg to fit me up on it. Every second counts when it comes to Strava. ;)

Biggest thing I have noticed in the 8 years since seeing Steve Hogg is increased comfort. You won't find anyone as skilled and experienced as Steve Hogg. Ive seen 'gurus' at the AIS that just read books vs look at real people. Reading is not the same as working with real people. You can read all you want about seat height formulas but what if you have 2 twins with same leg lengths but one has poor hamstring flexibility?

Go see Hogg. Mark your measurements with a white out pen so you can set and forget and go ride. Lifes short. Comfort and performance are what I want.
Vegan since 2001.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:04 am

Damn- thought I had posted in this thread!!
I have been fitted by Steve twice in 6 years and highly recommend him.
I think so highly of him that I drive to Sydney to see him.

The_Eggman

Postby The_Eggman » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:23 pm

Steve Hogg seems to be widely recommended, but personally I couldn't cop $708 plus parts.

After a fair bit of research, I ended up at The Body Mechanic in Milsons Point. Blair, who does all the fits, is a physiotherapist as well as an elite level cyclist. Nice guy, seemed very thorough and considered, and the knee issues I was having have abated. Charges $325 for a fit, and you can get some of that back on private health cover.

My 2 cents

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:21 am

Aaron Dunford of Fusion Peak is on the northside and has prices on his website. Really good to deal with.

http://www.fusionpeak.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cycling is in my BNA

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:25 am

The_Eggman wrote:Steve Hogg seems to be widely recommended, but personally I couldn't cop $708 plus parts.
This should be made a sticky:

Steve Hogg's blog.

Read these posts in this order:

Basic Premise
Cleat position
Seat Height
Set Back

If you want to get fancy seek out the posts on arch support, shims and wedges.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:18 pm

150 bucks for a fit? I haven't seen anything in that price range that shouldn't be as good as the initial fit when you buy the bike. It seems that all the decent fits are around 300+.

I think the suggestions to see Steve Hogg are pointless when the bloke has already said he wants spend 1/5th of what Steve charges??? It's right up there with a recommendation of Super Record when they have a Veloce budget :shock:

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:28 pm

Xplora wrote:150 bucks for a fit? I haven't seen anything in that price range that shouldn't be as good as the initial fit when you buy the bike. It seems that all the decent fits are around 300+.

I think the suggestions to see Steve Hogg are pointless when the bloke has already said he wants spend 1/5th of what Steve charges??? It's right up there with a recommendation of Super Record when they have a Veloce budget :shock:
But you can get a pretty decent fit using Steve's info that I posted above.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:18 pm

sumgy wrote:
Xplora wrote:150 bucks for a fit? I haven't seen anything in that price range that shouldn't be as good as the initial fit when you buy the bike. It seems that all the decent fits are around 300+.

But you can get a pretty decent fit using Steve's info that I posted above.
I'd rather pay the money for the instant result - I ride too many kms to do it with any discomfort or power loss. The commute is a long way, and I'm frequently pressed for time :lol: