Very sore perineum skin

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
stinhambo

Very sore perineum skin

Postby stinhambo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:44 pm

I'm finding that the skin in my perineum region is very sore. I use Aussie Butt Cream before I ride too.

Do you think I should apply some on mid ride too? Does this go away with more riding (tougher skin)?

RonK

Re: Very sore perineum skin

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:07 pm

Assuming of course, that your position is correct and your saddle is appropriate, are you applying enough cream to the chamois?

Watch the movie "Hell on Wheels" and see how Eric Zabel's soigneur applies chamois cream to his knicks. You might be surprised.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:15 pm

The skin will get used to it. But two items,
1) Stand often.
2) Wear good quality cycling shorts/bib. It reduces the skin wear.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:18 pm

RonK wrote:Assuming of course, that your position is correct and your saddle is appropriate, are you applying enough cream to the chamois?
I did ask on another thread about whether you should apply just the skin or to the chamois (or padded area) too. I just grab a little and rub it into my skin for a second. I guess I'll try some more!
RonK wrote:Watch the movie "Hell on Wheels" and see how Eric Zabel's soigneur applies chamois cream to his knicks. You might be surprised.
I'm assuming my position is correct and I got my sit bones measured (went from 132 to 143 saddle).

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:19 pm

sogood wrote:The skin will get used to it. But two items,
1) Stand often.
I don't do this enough!
sogood wrote:2) Wear good quality cycling shorts/bib. It reduces the skin wear.
I mainly wear Santini bib knicks (from Prendas).

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:24 pm

stinhambo wrote:I did ask on another thread about whether you should apply just the skin or to the chamois (or padded area) too.
And I replied and assumed you had read it (and didn't believe me). That's why I suggested you watch the movie to see how the pro's use it.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:58 pm

Fact is, most recreational riders riding 100 or even 150km/day have not depended on chamois cream. Unless you have massive ride volume, the most likely reason is that you don't ride enough and have not developed the endurance down there. Build it up over time. Otherwise, sore skin is trivial compared to full blown saddle sores and other neurological problems.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:07 pm

I’m more inclined to think that either the saddle is unsuitable for the OP, or the saddle angle on the bike is incorrect. :?

The weight should be carried on the sitbones with very little pressure on the perineum, and therefore the skin in that area should not be getting sore.

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:50 pm

It's just the edges, not the entire centre area. I thought maybe because I'm carrying a bit of fat around the legs.

Perhaps if I angle my seat forward just a smidge?

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:11 pm

stinhambo wrote:It's just the edges, not the entire centre area. I thought maybe because I'm carrying a bit of fat around the legs.

It's certainly worth a try.

That is of course assuming you wear your knicks commando without underdacks to irritate the area.

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:19 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:
That is of course assuming you wear your knicks commando without underdacks to irritate the area.
You assume correctly! Absolutely no underwear under lycra!

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:47 pm

stinhambo wrote:It's just the edges, not the entire centre area. I thought maybe because I'm carrying a bit of fat around the legs.

If its just the edges might the knicks be a size too big for you? I've had something similar recently and I suspect its because my knicks are now too big for me.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:59 pm

sogood wrote:Fact is, most recreational riders riding 100 or even 150km/day have not depended on chamois cream. Unless you have massive ride volume, the most likely reason is that you don't ride enough and have not developed the endurance down there. Build it up over time. Otherwise, sore skin is trivial compared to full blown saddle sores and other neurological problems.
I dunno where you get that idea from. I regularly ride from 60 - 100 km rides and have always used chamois creme for more than 30 years of cycling. If I didn't use it, I'd almost certainly have serious saddle sores.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:01 pm

stinhambo wrote:Perhaps if I angle my seat forward just a smidge?
More likely you need to move the saddle forward so you are not sitting on the narrow part.

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:33 pm

RonK wrote:
stinhambo wrote:Perhaps if I angle my seat forward just a smidge?
More likely you need to move the saddle forward so you are not sitting on the narrow part.
Ah yes I think I did move it back a little when I fitted the new saddle. I'll give that a go. And extra dollops of Aussie Butt Cream too!

Thanks for the advice :D

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:49 pm

RonK wrote:
sogood wrote:Fact is, most recreational riders riding 100 or even 150km/day have not depended on chamois cream.
I dunno where you get that idea from. I regularly ride from 60 - 100 km rides and have always used chamois creme for more than 30 years of cycling. If I didn't use it, I'd almost certainly have serious saddle sores.
If I didn't use the word "most" in my earlier post, then I would certainly be in your firing line. :P

macca33

Postby macca33 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:16 pm

I think (obviously) saddle fit and positioning has everything to do with it.

I took the two-wheels back up in late October and have done around 1500Km since - without too much trouble - however, when I went to rides over 40Km in duration, I found the shortcoming of the cheap saddle I had fitted to my bike - it caused me soreness for almost a week. Once I replaced it with a proper saddle the soreness disappeared and I'm doing 60Km+ rides no worries now. I've heard of 'butt' creams, however, have never seemed to need to use them.

Good luck with your nethers!
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:20 pm

I've just bought a Specialized Toupe saddle! I hope it wasn't a bad choice..

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:03 pm

stinhambo wrote:I've just bought a Specialized Toupe saddle! I hope it wasn't a bad choice..
Because of numbness in the perineum area I bought a Specialized Romin Saddle which is a bit cheaper than the Toupe but with the same cut out section, and it seems to have solved that problem.

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:34 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:
stinhambo wrote:I've just bought a Specialized Toupe saddle! I hope it wasn't a bad choice..
Because of numbness in the perineum area I bought a Specialized Romin Saddle which is a bit cheaper than the Toupe but with the same cut out section, and it seems to have solved that problem.
I'll experiment with positioning first starting by sliding it forward a few mm, perhaps tilt it forward ever so slightly.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:36 pm

stinhambo wrote:
greyhoundtom wrote:
I'll experiment with positioning first starting by sliding it forward a few mm, perhaps tilt it forward ever so slightly.
Is it the skin that is sore or the flesh underneath? If skin, it sounds more like the fit of your knicks.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:57 pm

stinhambo wrote:I'll experiment with positioning first starting by sliding it forward a few mm, perhaps tilt it forward ever so slightly.
One adjustment at a time please or you'll never be sure which is the problem.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:11 pm

I use an ISM Adamo saddle so my perineum floats in mid-air.
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:25 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
stinhambo wrote:I'll experiment with positioning first starting by sliding it forward a few mm, perhaps tilt it forward ever so slightly.
One adjustment at a time please or you'll never be sure which is the problem.
I'll set these at forward a few mm then.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:53 pm

I replaced my saddle recently with an inflateable seat and so dispensed with the sheepskin that I had used for all my riding - it was on to distribute the pressure more evenly.

Anyway, about my second 50km I started getting discomfort in the same area and it seemed that the seat was gripping me too well so that tissue was constantly being stretched - on miillimetres but that is many thousands of times a trip.

So I put the sheepskin back on as it does have a certain amount of lateral give. Problem solved.

I have tried to do without it again and it seemed that the same thing was happening.

Perhaps you can learn from my experience and somehow break any gripiness between your seat and your nether regions.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle