road rage this morning

Apple

road rage this morning

Postby Apple » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:16 pm

I had a great ride this morning, I started early before traffic, I don’t usually ride on Saturday mornings due to traffic but I set out thinking it is busy with cyclists anyway.
I rode to Bayview via Mona Vale Road from Lane cove on the Pacific hwy.
All was well. On my return trip not much traffic and I stayed on the left hand lane. That’s when it happened a bogan out of area side swipes me, (he has his girlfriend in the car with her feet on the dashboard). Has his ape hand on the horn and s calls me a <expletive> M*le.
Nice.
I continue on and about 10 more km another car does the same thing with out the name calling or the horn, just for the fun of it he side swipes me and this time it was even closer, I almost lost balance. I didn’t lose my temper at the lights as he was there, but another car came and said he saw what that car did and said it was disgusting.
Both drivers are in their early 20s. I have had no incidences at all in over 2 years, but I don’t usually ride from home on Saturday s, now I know why
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

queequeg

Re: road rage this morning

Postby queequeg » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:27 pm

I had no issues today riding on Pennant Hills or Pacific Hwy. I rode from Dural to our Turramurra start and it was a trouble free ride. Coming home I poked a caught a train to Beecroft from Hornsby as I had done my 105km ride and it was too hot to continue. Rode home from Beecroft, down New Line Rd (usually bogan central), but nothing. I have thick skin anyway as I commute this route and I ignore all attempts at morons to scare me off the road.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Apple

Postby Apple » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:31 pm

queequeg wrote:(usually bogan central), but nothing. I have thick skin anyway as I commute this route and I ignore all attempts at morons to scare me off the road.
Thats because Bogan central were up early driving around in the lower north shore. I am still feeling upset about it as this sort of thing does not happen to me :(
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

lump_a_charcoal

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:34 pm

3 words - "video and report".

It sux that people do this stuff, and is the main reason I don't commute.

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:37 pm

Apple, you should consider picking up a video camera for these incidents. Even without a video camera, I have found that picking up an iPhone camera would typically stop any continuing poor behaviours.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:43 pm

It is a horrible feeling. Takes quite a while for the adrenaline to stop pumping and usually takes me a day to flush the frustration it causes out of my system.

Used to happen at least once a week where I used to live a year ago.

Doesn't happen much here in the inner Northside of Brisbane.

Worst I had was a bottle thrown on the ground right underneath me that went off with a huge bang... Glass shattered everywhere under me. That one still makes me angry over a year later...

I try and clear my head by thinking how good cycling is for my health and how much I love riding...
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

Apple

Postby Apple » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:46 pm

sogood wrote:Apple, you should consider picking up a video camera for these incidents. Even without a video camera, I have found that picking up an iPhone camera would typically stop any continuing poor behaviours.
It is so sad that we need to record this sort of thing. As I said I am usually feeling safe and cars are great, I don't hold anyone up as I left at 5.30am this morning and was home before 9am. I wonder if this wouldn’t happen if I was in a group. I just sometimes feel like going solo, I enjoy my solo rides as it makes me feel free.
Worst I had was a bottle thrown on the ground right underneath me that went off with a huge bang... Glass shattered everywhere under me. That one still makes me angry over a year later...

I try and clear my head by thinking how good cycling is for my health and how much I love riding...
:shock:
such Cowards :evil:
They feel such power in a car, Is it usually the young ones that's what I want to know.

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:54 pm

Apple wrote:It is so sad that we need to record this sort of thing. As I said I am usually feeling safe and cars are great, I don't hold anyone up as I left at 5.30am this morning and was home before 9am. I wonder if this wouldn’t happen if I was in a group. I just sometimes feel like going solo, I enjoy my solo rides as it makes me feel free.
I think there's more reason to be even more vigilant when riding solo. If anything happen to you, no one would know. As such, unless you are feeling 100% about the route and ready availability of exit strategies, I would seriously consider a video camera.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:37 pm

Apple wrote:
I am still feeling upset about it as this sort of thing does not happen to me

You will shake it off pretty quickly. Unfortunately bogans are everywhere and they seem to be attracted to VN Commodores.

Apple

Postby Apple » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:44 pm

birdbrain wrote:

You will shake it off pretty quickly. Unfortunately bogans are everywhere and they seem to be attracted to VN Commodores.
How did you know what they drove. spot on :shock:

macca33

Postby macca33 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:37 pm

It is a pity that we must share the world with morons, but I'm glad that, at the very least, you made it through unscathed.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:40 pm

try to remember that the behaviour of these peanuts does not reflect on you. a good piece of advice i always try to remember is that you should only worry about things you can control. of course that is impracticable, we all worry when some rock ape tries to side swipe us, but there's no point in getting hung up over it. also, if another driver stops to register their disgust, consider asking them if they'd act as a witness for you and reporting it to the police. the cops are more compelled to act with an independent witness.

also, i'm shocked at some of the stories i hear from female cyclists. it seems there are a lot of courageous blokes out there who are happy to terrorise women (riders), but will only try it on with blokes when there's a clear escape route.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:00 pm

A few things before you go the vidcam route:

1. A rear-view mirror of some form - invaluable to observe traffic and pre-plan some control strategies
2. Ride wider, claim more lane-space
3. Ride with friends or a group - such bogan turds are totally gutless and only prey on solo riders.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:10 pm

1)Was it reported to the police? If they've done it to you, then they'll do it to someone else.
2)If not, why not? Don't take that as a harsh criticism, it's just reporting drivers like these is a long overdue and desperately needed in order for us to get these clowns off our roads.

If you report any incident via Crimestoppers, the police must follow it up. If there have been more than a couple of incidents reported, the Qld Police Commisioners Office have told me they will begin patrolling the area in question more regularly. 99% of drivers are great. The other 1% seriously injure and kill cyclists. All road rage incidents must start being reported. Until they are, nothing will ever change in our roads.
Up here the QPS are basically begging cyclists to start dobbing in dangerous driving for everyone's sake, not just ours. We stand to benefit as much as anyone else by doing so.
Last edited by The 2nd Womble on Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:01 pm

I'm guessing that the female in the first bogan car was his sister, because no other female would be dumb enough to spread his genetics to the next generation.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:14 pm

I don't ride solo along certain roads and Mona Vale road is certainly one of them. A former colleague told me he was riding along Mona Vale road with a few friends and saw a lone cyclist lying on the road who had been hit by a right turning car who didn't stop.

rogan

Postby rogan » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:22 pm

I had a swiper, too, yesterday. I rarely get them. Caught up to him at the lights. Invited him to stay this far away (arms held wide) not this far away (one foot) at 80 km/h. He told me to "read the road rules" at which point the light was green and he drove off.

What I should have said next... "There's nothing in the road rules that lets you drive like a dumb [insert family friendly epithet of choice]"

munga

Postby munga » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:40 pm

'moron' comes in many flavours. don't take it personally, apple.

Apple

Postby Apple » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:47 pm

Thanks guys, I know I should just get over it. But you know 2 within 5km on the same road messes with your head. Mybe there was a bogan convention today at Lane Cove.

DentedHead

Postby DentedHead » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:16 pm

TAC must have been handing out free "Warney Pills" in your area...

Dent.

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:27 pm

I ride most weekdays and sat and sun. I regularly ride up that way as well as out to mosman and around the eastern suburbs and down south. Negative incidents with motorists are very rare to the point of being almost non existent. Not trying to take away from what happened to you Apple but hopefully you just copped your quota for the next year or so.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:48 pm

Apple wrote:Thanks guys, I know I should just get over it. But you know 2 within 5km on the same road messes with your head.
Why should you have to get over it Apple? The cretins are real brave in their cars but not so out of them, unless they come up against a girl. :roll:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:54 pm

Don't lose any sleep over it - some people are just unhappy with their lot in life. Chances are even if you spoke to them they would struggle to comprehend words with more than 4 letters and not be able to articulate themselves.

Had a loser undertake the bunch on the way out to Lapa last week - it was very close and at speed. The P plater in the Corolla was caught by the unhappy ride leader and his excuse was "we were holding him up" he said this with a straight face as the bunch was behind him at the lights, and the next lights and the next lights until he turned off the road probably in shame.

Makes you wish you could deport them to the pacific ocean and take in someone who would benefit from our education system and contribute to society!

JM

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:28 pm

I don't like the stretch of Mona Vale road (heading west) from the point where the road sweeps right about 1km or so before Horace St and the St Ives Shops. I wouldn't ride it alone or in a pair past the Pacific Hwy as it is too agitated. I drove along that section today and thought exactly that. The exception would be in a large bunch, safety in numbers but even then only out of necessity. It would be very hard to make this cycling friendly / cycling aware so heading the opposite direction from St Ives onward is better - you can keep away from the hoons, like the ones you encountered, particular in the sections with the side strip.

Get a bike camera, helps for peace of mind at minimum.
Cycling is in my BNA

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:20 am

:roll: :(

Not your fault Apple, under endowed men often seek to boost their miniscule self esteem by this sort of act.

At least the first dingleberry had one functioning horn...

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011