Best earphones for cycling?

Misspentyoof

Best earphones for cycling?

Postby Misspentyoof » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:02 pm

Hi all
I'm looking for opinions/reviews on earphones that work well when cycling.
I've read some of the other recent threads regarding earphones and agree with the opinion that they're not for group rides. However for longer rides on my own I often listen to music and can still hear traffic noise... Inevitably it's a compromise but in comfortable with it. However my current earphones are simple canalphones which fall out fairly regularly, particularly at speed or when it's windy. Can anyone recommend a brand of earphones that sound OK and don't fall out?

Maybe I have strangely-shaped ears, but I tried some of those fish hook-shaped ones that hook around the earlobe and they fell out too! I've seen others that hook in inside the earlobe, which look good but they're quite expensive. It would be good to hear from fellow cyclists before outlaying $200 on a new pair.

Thanks in advance

Chef

Re: Best earphones for cycling?

Postby Chef » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:12 pm

Hi,

I use Klipsich x10 - they are very light and fit incredibly well; I have previously had custom moulded earphones, but find the x10's more comfortable and they have better quality audio.

Cheers

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:14 pm

Hard to say without a budget but I'd recommend something from Sennhesier but be aware that you should look for sound quality, not insulation (so not in-ear). Even the least insulative headphones are going to the best because you do need to hear around you, even on solo rides. I can't help much in choice but I use the ones that came with my HTC and they're pretty good and comfortable.

Also make sure the cord length isn't too long if you're running it from your jersey pocket.

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:19 pm

The ones that don't fall out invariably are sealing ones (or with external hooks), ones that are not safe for cycling. You are best to use a common one (or whatever you are willing to pay for questionable better "quality" amongst wind/traffic noises) and wrap the cord around your helmet strap in front of your ear. This way it may fall out but will still be around. Even when you are "alone", you still need to hear the surrounding sounds for your own safety.
Last edited by sogood on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:21 pm

Shpox wrote:Also make sure the cord length isn't too long if you're running it from your jersey pocket.
Route the cord inside your jersey. There's good safety reasons for doing that. Dangling cords will get the rider into serious trouble.

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:25 pm

What Sogood said.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:48 pm

Anything you can do, I can do slower

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:16 pm

find_bruce wrote:There is a review on this site - Safe music while you ride with O-tus mini-speakers
I agree. Great article. Author deserves a medal.

Misspentyoof

Postby Misspentyoof » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:56 pm

Thanks everyone, for the responses and links. Plenty of food for thought there.

gururug

Postby gururug » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:27 pm

Depends what you like. If your on android, there are some new Sony's that rep at 40 but can be had for 20 that have a volume control wheel and push button. No point going with over expensives imo as they eventually break or confers to water damage.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:44 pm

I have some Koss KSC-75 headphones, which are the clip-on type. The sound is very good for $49, and you can hear road noise too. Unfortunately you also hear wind noise, which I plan to overcome with a pair of cat-ears.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:56 pm

I used the exxy sennheiser Adidas sports range and killed 3 pairs in 6 months, so sent them all back for a refund... So much for them being sweat proof...

Ended up going with a waterproof swimming pair with mic from H2o audio. Sound isn't great but works ok... I don't listen to music do don't need audiphile acoustics. I normally listen to sports radio, and need the ability to check msgs and answer urgent calls... One earbud died after a few months of everyday wear, 3 hours riding a day... H2o audio sorted ASAP, sending me a new pair without wanting the defective pair back...

Surge contact here:
http://www.x-1.com/store/swimming/surge ... adset.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:38 pm

I was under the incorrect understanding that it is illegal to ride with headphones. It was when I was overseas however have just checked and at least in Victoria it seems that it is not illegal, even though most authorities don't recommend it out of safety.

Not intending to hijack the thread though it is relevant for clarification here. Anyone have anything definite?
Cycling is in my BNA

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:47 pm

Nothing in the road rules about it. A bicycle is legally a vehicle. Make it illegal to listen to music in a vehicle.... what do we do with all these very exxy car sound systems :?

And how many moto riders get about with a set of ear-buds in their ears??

The fear of music listening by cyclists is a case of double standards coming from drivers and the police. When it comes from cyclists it's just abject fear-mongering.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:56 pm

I rarely ride without music and I like the open ear SONY street headphones that go under back of helmet. Won't work with all hats, but OK on my Catlike. lightweight frame/big drivers= better sound than any of my in ear styles..and i've tried a few! Bonus is ability to hear traffic.
Have just ordered a set of POLK 2000 street style with mic and vol controls. They look very simlar to Sony, shame they aren't as cheap.

elStado

Postby elStado » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:59 pm

I don't like the idea of cords dangling about and reduced hearing of ambient sounds, however my daily commute is very boring so I agree it is nice to be able to crank along while listening to some music (Ministry and Slayer are excellent choices if you want to improve your speed without realising it). I decided to get a B&M universal cockpit adapter, mount it on my stem and then have my smartphone mounted onto that. I've got a 32GB storage card in my phone so plenty of space for a wide variety of music to suit your mood. Works really well without blocking out any important sounds around you or having cables getting caught on things.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:10 am

I can understand from a public policy point of view there's a need to object headphone use or people will put themselves in danger with acoustic isolating ear buds and headsets. But in practice, I believe these can be used safely when one is sensible about it eg. Single ear with non-isolating ear buds.

I note that drivers are allowed to use handsfree phones, so there can't be a rule against the use of these.

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:42 am

You might find that earphones are only for slow cycling... at anything above 30km/h, wind noise around the earbuds tends to drown out any other sound they are producing.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:34 am

Nothing illegal about headphones, but the new mobile phone laws apply to vehicles (which include bicycles) and drivers (which include riders) - eg see NSW Road Rules rule 300.

What this means is that in a strict legal sense you are not permitted to use a phone to make a phone call or listen to music unless

(1) the phone is secured to the vehicle OR

(2) the driver doesn't touch the phone itself.

IMO this rule makes no sense- using an ipod touch to play angry birds is legal but music played from an iPhone is in your pocket may be illegal (eg adjusting the volume from the phone, not the headset).

I could go on (& on & on) but you get the idea.

As for the use of headphones, I don't consider it a safety problem, but I know others do.

Oh & BFV, I thought it was a good article, especially in light of the fact that the author's ancestors were not the full penny :)
Anything you can do, I can do slower

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:59 am

Howzat wrote:You might find that earphones are only for slow cycling... at anything above 30km/h, wind noise around the earbuds tends to drown out any other sound they are producing.
I have heard audiologists strongly recommending in-ear buds over conventional earphones for this reason. Because of the external noise people tend to turn up the volume on the player to hear the music, resulting in more total noise exposure. Hearing damage is more likely. With in-ear buds you are only hearing the music, which is more likely to be kept to a safe volume.
Mandatory helmet law?

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:04 am

il padrone wrote:Nothing in the road rules about it. A bicycle is legally a vehicle. Make it illegal to listen to music in a vehicle.... what do we do with all these very exxy car sound systems :?

And how many moto riders get about with a set of ear-buds in their ears??

The fear of music listening by cyclists is a case of double standards coming from drivers and the police. When it comes from cyclists it's just abject fear-mongering.
+1

I use my headphones all the time when commuting. With the lack of noise that modern cars make relying on hearing one come up from behind is not going to give any real opportunity to avoid them.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:10 am

And this brings us back to what I regard as the best way to be aware of your traffic surroundings

Mandatory helmet law?

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:27 am

I use sennheiser over the ear type, but I have the music turned fairly low (to protect what's left of my hearing) & only wear the left hand one, leaving the traffic side unimpeded.

You can hear enough of the music to be soothing without it isolating you from the surrounding environment.

jemima

Postby jemima » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:45 am

Last time I used earphones was back in the early 90's.
Lately been wondering about single ear possibilities.

Scanning the RBR forums, I came across the 1-BUD (and ear support) from ScanSound.
If they're half decent, they're cheap.

mictra

Postby mictra » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:26 am

I'm just getting into road cycling and thought about this topic. Do you think it is best to stay away from listening to music while riding in the early days? Thinking it may be best to figure out the roads and surroundings first.