Wheels that don't tick!

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Wheels that don't tick!

Postby swaz » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:17 pm

After some wheels that do NOT make the freewheel ratchet sound. The more silent, the better. After some training wheels so I can slip out of the yard in them AM without our dogs noticing and going nuts. They don't make a fuss when I leave on my single speed which is silent.

Alternatively can anyone tell me how to make my Mavic Ksyriums silent?
swaz
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:41 pm

by BNA » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:18 pm

BNA
 

Re: Wheels that don't tick!

Postby MarkG » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:18 pm

Pack the free hub with grease mate.
The more grease around the pawls is what affects the loudness

http://dirt.mpora.com/news/work-freehub-body.html
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"
User avatar
MarkG
 
Posts: 2147
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:02 pm
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: Wheels that don't tick!

Postby swaz » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:30 pm

I was going to say, keen to hear options apart from packing it with grease which is a temp solution at best.
swaz
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:41 pm

Re: Wheels that don't tick!

Postby il padrone » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:31 pm

MarkG wrote:Pack the free hub with grease mate.

NOT good advice. Grease runs the risk of causing your pawls to stick open - freewheeling in both directions is the result :roll:

Shimano hubs are generally pretty silent in operation. There are some hubs that run a roller clutch and are silent in operation. However I don't see the problem with a clicking freehub - a sign of a precision instrument in operation.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 17477
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Wheels that don't tick!

Postby swaz » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:36 pm

il padrone wrote:
MarkG wrote:Pack the free hub with grease mate.

NOT good advice. Grease runs the risk of causing your pawls to stick open - freewheeling in both directions is the result :roll:

Shimano hubs are generally pretty silent in operation. There are some hubs that run a roller clutch and are silent in operation. However I don't see the problem with a clicking freehub - a sign of a precision instrument in operation.


I have no issues with how and why they click, I want one that doesn't for the aforementioned reason
swaz
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:41 pm

Re: Wheels that don't tick!

Postby MarkG » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Light lithium grease ...
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"
User avatar
MarkG
 
Posts: 2147
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:02 pm
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: Wheels that don't tick!

Postby il padrone » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:50 pm

swaz wrote:I have no issues with how and why they click, I want one that doesn't for the aforementioned reason

Crikey mate, I gave you a couple of tips to get you started. You want us to do the searching for you as well??

Here is one possible option. Not sure if it's available in 8/9/10 spd versions. Like I said, most Shimano freehubs are virtually silent.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-ro50-7- ... er-clutch/
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 17477
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Wheels that don't tick!

Postby queequeg » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:00 pm

swaz wrote:I was going to say, keen to hear options apart from packing it with grease which is a temp solution at best.


Shimano Hubs are almost silent. As far as I am aware, all Shimano Hubs are like this. The Ultegra 6700 Hubs on my roadie are almost stealth in nature, and the Deore XT hubs on my commuter bike are just as quiet.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
User avatar
queequeg
 
Posts: 2545
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 am

Re: Wheels that don't tick!

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:16 pm

Why they make them sounding like a bunch of cicadas is beyond me. :? The last thing I wanted my opponents to know was, when I was on them. :roll: The noise from some of these clusters is heard from 15mtrs away these days. :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
Image
User avatar
foo on patrol
 
Posts: 4046
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:12 am
Location: Sanstone Point QLD

Re: Wheels that don't tick!

Postby bprb » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:41 pm

I have two wheelsets with Ultegra hubs (6600 and 6700) that are very close to silent. My wheelset with Dura-Ace 7900 hubs makes a bit more ratchet noise than the Ultegra ones, but it's not loud by any means.

To answer Foo, personally I'd rather have a noisy ratchet for the commute bike, as a subtle way of letting people know I'm coming up behind them before I have to speak up or ring the bell etc. Of course I totally take your point though, with respect to racing.
bprb
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:32 pm

Re: Wheels that don't tick!

Postby Arlberg » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:20 am

The DT Swiss 240 hubs are the loudest I have ever heard by a loooooong way.
Arlberg
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:43 pm

Re: Wheels that don't tick!

Postby 15wilsonwu » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:52 am

foo on patrol wrote:Why they make them sounding like a bunch of cicadas is beyond me. :? The last thing I wanted my opponents to know was, when I was on them. :roll: The noise from some of these clusters is heard from 15mtrs away these days. :shock:

Foo


Shouldn't you be pedaling? :wink:
I love riding, not training
User avatar
15wilsonwu
 
Posts: 617
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Re: Wheels that don't tick!

Postby swaz » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:08 am

il padrone wrote:
swaz wrote:I have no issues with how and why they click, I want one that doesn't for the aforementioned reason

Crikey mate, I gave you a couple of tips to get you started. You want us to do the searching for you as well??

Here is one possible option. Not sure if it's available in 8/9/10 spd versions. Like I said, most Shimano freehubs are virtually silent.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-ro50-7- ... er-clutch/

No, I can search myself, thanks.
swaz
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:41 pm

Re: Wheels that don't tick!

Postby swaz » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:18 am

bprb wrote:I have two wheelsets with Ultegra hubs (6600 and 6700) that are very close to silent. My wheelset with Dura-Ace 7900 hubs makes a bit more ratchet noise than the Ultegra ones, but it's not loud by any means.

To answer Foo, personally I'd rather have a noisy ratchet for the commute bike, as a subtle way of letting people know I'm coming up behind them before I have to speak up or ring the bell etc. Of course I totally take your point though, with respect to racing.

Thanks very much. Have always liked the 6700 wheels! Now to find some on sale.
swaz
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:41 pm

Re: Wheels that don't tick!

Postby le_quiet_uno » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:51 am

See if you can find out what hub that TWE uses as they are virtually silent on my old wheels.
2009 - Current - BMC SL 01 [2009]
2008 - 2009 - Cervelo R3 [2008]
2007 - 2008 - Trek 1.4 [2005]
le_quiet_uno
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:23 pm
Location: Upper North Shore, Sydney

Re: Wheels that don't tick!

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:20 am

15wilsonwu wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:Why they make them sounding like a bunch of cicadas is beyond me. :? The last thing I wanted my opponents to know was, when I was on them. :roll: The noise from some of these clusters is heard from 15mtrs away these days. :shock:

Foo


Shouldn't you be pedaling? :wink:


Not when cornering at speed or coming up to lights, stop signs, peds on narrow bridges, getting ready to get off the bike, in a bunch when they concertina and when some goose pulls out in front of you. :P

Why aren't you out riding huh? :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
Image
User avatar
foo on patrol
 
Posts: 4046
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:12 am
Location: Sanstone Point QLD

Re: Wheels that don't tick!

Postby 15wilsonwu » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:04 am

foo on patrol wrote:
15wilsonwu wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:Why they make them sounding like a bunch of cicadas is beyond me. :? The last thing I wanted my opponents to know was, when I was on them. :roll: The noise from some of these clusters is heard from 15mtrs away these days. :shock:

Foo


Shouldn't you be pedaling? :wink:


Not when cornering at speed or coming up to lights, stop signs, peds on narrow bridges, getting ready to get off the bike, in a bunch when they concertina and when some goose pulls out in front of you. :P

Why aren't you out riding huh? :mrgreen:

Foo


Lights? Ppffttt, just cars. :wink:
Peds? Ppfffttt, knock them over! :lol:
Someone pulls out? Speed up and pull out! :mrgreen:
I love riding, not training
User avatar
15wilsonwu
 
Posts: 617
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Re: Wheels that don't tick!

Postby Cossie Phil » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:11 am

The ratchet sound is aka the lazy alarm!!...turn the pedals!!
Image
Cossie Phil
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 5:35 pm
Location: Hoxton Park

Re: Wheels that don't tick!

Postby black4tress » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:19 am

Just wheel your bike out backwards. Works for me when I need to sneak out without waking the family.
[Centurion LeMans Single Speed] [BMC Fourstroke FS03]
Image
User avatar
black4tress
 
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:46 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Wheels that don't tick!

Postby NhiTrac » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:27 am

Re packing hubs with grease. Do wheels need regular maintenance (greasing)?

Currently using Zeros.
FOCUS Cayo Expert
NhiTrac
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:58 pm

Re: Wheels that don't tick!

Postby sir_camel » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:54 pm

My Campy Zonda's are very very quiet as well
sir_camel
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:40 pm

Re: Wheels that don't tick!

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:36 pm

black4tress wrote:Just wheel your bike out backwards. Works for me when I need to sneak out without waking the family.

Sounds like the easiest solution to me...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25270
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Wheels that don't tick!

Postby swaz » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:40 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
black4tress wrote:Just wheel your bike out backwards. Works for me when I need to sneak out without waking the family.

Sounds like the easiest solution to me...

Often the simplest is the best. I will give this a go. They (the dogs) know I am going, no way of sneeking out, but they seem to react to the ratchet sound.
swaz
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:41 pm

Re: Wheels that don't tick!

Postby AndyRevill » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:58 pm

It is a bit odd. I just bought my Trek Domane - the test ride was on an upmarket 5.9 and the free hub was loud as, to the point where it was almost irritating. On my 4.5 it's almost silent. Both wheel sets were Bontrager the only difference was the wheels on the 5.9 were supposed to be a higher grade. The bloke in the LBS reckoned when people pay more they want more noise - it sounds expensive :roll:
Trek 1.7 dec.
Trek Domane 4.5
AndyRevill
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:09 pm
Location: Margate, TAS

Re: Wheels that don't tick!

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:05 pm

AndyRevill wrote: The bloke in the LBS reckoned when people pay more they want more noise - it sounds expensive :roll:


What a first class tool he is, never heard so much BS about a bike before in my life! :?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
Image
User avatar
foo on patrol
 
Posts: 4046
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:12 am
Location: Sanstone Point QLD

Next

Return to Buying a bike / parts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]



Support BNA
Click for online shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Cycling Express Cycling Express
Ebay Ebay AU
ProBikeKit ProBikeKit UK
Evans Cycles Evans Cycles UK
JensonUSA Jenson USA
JensonUSA Competitive Cyclist