Wheels that don't tick!

swaz

Wheels that don't tick!

Postby swaz » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:17 pm

After some wheels that do NOT make the freewheel ratchet sound. The more silent, the better. After some training wheels so I can slip out of the yard in them AM without our dogs noticing and going nuts. They don't make a fuss when I leave on my single speed which is silent.

Alternatively can anyone tell me how to make my Mavic Ksyriums silent?

MarkG

Re: Wheels that don't tick!

Postby MarkG » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:18 pm

Pack the free hub with grease mate.
The more grease around the pawls is what affects the loudness

http://dirt.mpora.com/news/work-freehub-body.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

swaz

Postby swaz » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:30 pm

I was going to say, keen to hear options apart from packing it with grease which is a temp solution at best.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:31 pm

MarkG wrote:Pack the free hub with grease mate.
NOT good advice. Grease runs the risk of causing your pawls to stick open - freewheeling in both directions is the result :roll:

Shimano hubs are generally pretty silent in operation. There are some hubs that run a roller clutch and are silent in operation. However I don't see the problem with a clicking freehub - a sign of a precision instrument in operation.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

swaz

Postby swaz » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:36 pm

il padrone wrote:
MarkG wrote:Pack the free hub with grease mate.
NOT good advice. Grease runs the risk of causing your pawls to stick open - freewheeling in both directions is the result :roll:

Shimano hubs are generally pretty silent in operation. There are some hubs that run a roller clutch and are silent in operation. However I don't see the problem with a clicking freehub - a sign of a precision instrument in operation.
I have no issues with how and why they click, I want one that doesn't for the aforementioned reason

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:41 pm

Light lithium grease ...
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:50 pm

swaz wrote:I have no issues with how and why they click, I want one that doesn't for the aforementioned reason
Crikey mate, I gave you a couple of tips to get you started. You want us to do the searching for you as well??

Here is one possible option. Not sure if it's available in 8/9/10 spd versions. Like I said, most Shimano freehubs are virtually silent.

http://www.this link is broken/shimano-ro50-7- ... er-clutch/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:00 pm

swaz wrote:I was going to say, keen to hear options apart from packing it with grease which is a temp solution at best.
Shimano Hubs are almost silent. As far as I am aware, all Shimano Hubs are like this. The Ultegra 6700 Hubs on my roadie are almost stealth in nature, and the Deore XT hubs on my commuter bike are just as quiet.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:16 pm

Why they make them sounding like a bunch of cicadas is beyond me. :? The last thing I wanted my opponents to know was, when I was on them. :roll: The noise from some of these clusters is heard from 15mtrs away these days. :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

bprb

Postby bprb » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:41 pm

I have two wheelsets with Ultegra hubs (6600 and 6700) that are very close to silent. My wheelset with Dura-Ace 7900 hubs makes a bit more ratchet noise than the Ultegra ones, but it's not loud by any means.

To answer Foo, personally I'd rather have a noisy ratchet for the commute bike, as a subtle way of letting people know I'm coming up behind them before I have to speak up or ring the bell etc. Of course I totally take your point though, with respect to racing.

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:20 am

The DT Swiss 240 hubs are the loudest I have ever heard by a loooooong way.

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:52 am

foo on patrol wrote:Why they make them sounding like a bunch of cicadas is beyond me. :? The last thing I wanted my opponents to know was, when I was on them. :roll: The noise from some of these clusters is heard from 15mtrs away these days. :shock:

Foo
Shouldn't you be pedaling? :wink:
2015 BMC TimeMachine TMR02
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

swaz

Postby swaz » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:08 am

il padrone wrote:
swaz wrote:I have no issues with how and why they click, I want one that doesn't for the aforementioned reason
Crikey mate, I gave you a couple of tips to get you started. You want us to do the searching for you as well??

Here is one possible option. Not sure if it's available in 8/9/10 spd versions. Like I said, most Shimano freehubs are virtually silent.

http://www.this link is broken/shimano-ro50-7- ... er-clutch/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No, I can search myself, thanks.

swaz

Postby swaz » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:18 am

bprb wrote:I have two wheelsets with Ultegra hubs (6600 and 6700) that are very close to silent. My wheelset with Dura-Ace 7900 hubs makes a bit more ratchet noise than the Ultegra ones, but it's not loud by any means.

To answer Foo, personally I'd rather have a noisy ratchet for the commute bike, as a subtle way of letting people know I'm coming up behind them before I have to speak up or ring the bell etc. Of course I totally take your point though, with respect to racing.
Thanks very much. Have always liked the 6700 wheels! Now to find some on sale.

le_quiet_uno

Postby le_quiet_uno » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:51 am

See if you can find out what hub that TWE uses as they are virtually silent on my old wheels.
2009 - Current - BMC SL 01 [2009]
2008 - 2009 - Cervelo R3 [2008]
2007 - 2008 - Trek 1.4 [2005]

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:20 am

15wilsonwu wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:Why they make them sounding like a bunch of cicadas is beyond me. :? The last thing I wanted my opponents to know was, when I was on them. :roll: The noise from some of these clusters is heard from 15mtrs away these days. :shock:

Foo
Not when cornering at speed or coming up to lights, stop signs, peds on narrow bridges, getting ready to get off the bike, in a bunch when they concertina and when some goose pulls out in front of you. :P

Why aren't you out riding huh? :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:04 am

foo on patrol wrote:
15wilsonwu wrote:

Foo
Not when cornering at speed or coming up to lights, stop signs, peds on narrow bridges, getting ready to get off the bike, in a bunch when they concertina and when some goose pulls out in front of you. :P

Why aren't you out riding huh? :mrgreen:

Foo
Lights? Ppffttt, just cars. :wink:
Peds? Ppfffttt, knock them over! :lol:
Someone pulls out? Speed up and pull out! :mrgreen:
2015 BMC TimeMachine TMR02
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:11 am

The ratchet sound is aka the lazy alarm!!...turn the pedals!!

black4tress

Postby black4tress » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:19 am

Just wheel your bike out backwards. Works for me when I need to sneak out without waking the family.
[Centurion LeMans Single Speed] [BMC Fourstroke FS03]

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:27 am

Re packing hubs with grease. Do wheels need regular maintenance (greasing)?

Currently using Zeros.
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

sir_camel

Postby sir_camel » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:54 pm

My Campy Zonda's are very very quiet as well
Bikes Bikes Bikes

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:36 pm

black4tress wrote:Just wheel your bike out backwards. Works for me when I need to sneak out without waking the family.
Sounds like the easiest solution to me...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

swaz

Postby swaz » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:40 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
black4tress wrote:Just wheel your bike out backwards. Works for me when I need to sneak out without waking the family.
Sounds like the easiest solution to me...
Often the simplest is the best. I will give this a go. They (the dogs) know I am going, no way of sneeking out, but they seem to react to the ratchet sound.

AndyRevill

Postby AndyRevill » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:58 pm

It is a bit odd. I just bought my Trek Domane - the test ride was on an upmarket 5.9 and the free hub was loud as, to the point where it was almost irritating. On my 4.5 it's almost silent. Both wheel sets were Bontrager the only difference was the wheels on the 5.9 were supposed to be a higher grade. The bloke in the LBS reckoned when people pay more they want more noise - it sounds expensive :roll:
Trek 1.7 dec.
Trek Domane 4.5

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:05 pm

AndyRevill wrote: The bloke in the LBS reckoned when people pay more they want more noise - it sounds expensive :roll:
What a first class tool he is, never heard so much BS about a bike before in my life! :?

Foo
Goal 6000km