16" speedwell rebuild

The home of 'cool'

16" speedwell rebuild

Postby huggiebear » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:10 am

hey all, since all the pics no longer work in my thread i thought i might aswell just start a new one for this bike. 16" kids speedwell.

my son has been riding a pink malvern star mini star for the last 12 months (he loves the thing even tho its pink its full original and pretty good condition) so i thought i better make one of his own.

started off like this

i then sent it off to my mate for sand blasting which revealed more then 5 layers of paint and took quite some time to get clean.

then covered in primer

my son chose a metallic green for the colour but when we added the pearl it changed the shade of the green completely made it alot more darker but it seems to have worked out well

it then sat idle for a few months as i had other projects come in. but we moved house which got rid of alot of projects allowing me to work on bikes again. since new rims were $95 for front and rear it would have pushed the budget of the build too far so we picked up a 16" bike for $5 and stole the rims, sanded the rust off the rims and painted the parts black (saved about $180 painting these mainly original parts black over buying reproductions)

im still awaiting new bottom end crank with encased bearings as the old individual ones although are well greased up they are making a grinding noise like its got grit in there with them, so new was purchased. along with this new hand grips and pedals.

the almost end result is this

this should be completed by next weekend. im already starting my next project which is a money maker, quick respray, a clean of some parts and some brand new mud guards and seat then will sell it off to find the next project.

future projects are a 16/12" chopper and a raleigh small wheel (RSW III)

huggiebear

Return to Dragsters / Lowriders / Cruisers