Best earphones for cycling?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Best earphones for cycling?

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:32 am

Thanks for the comments.

Mictra, yes worth starting out and simplifying - hold onto the EYE OF THE TIGER for when you are confident and then you will be ahead of the rest.
Cycling is in my BNA

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:05 pm

find_bruce wrote:Nothing illegal about headphones, but the new mobile phone laws apply to vehicles (which include bicycles) and drivers (which include riders) - eg see NSW Road Rules rule 300.

What this means is that in a strict legal sense you are not permitted to use a phone to make a phone call or listen to music unless

(1) the phone is secured to the vehicle OR

(2) the driver doesn't touch the phone itself.

IMO this rule makes no sense- using an ipod touch to play angry birds is legal but music played from an iPhone is in your pocket may be illegal (eg adjusting the volume from the phone, not the headset).

I could go on (& on & on) but you get the idea.

As for the use of headphones, I don't consider it a safety problem, but I know others do.
In the US. some states have a "driving distracted" law that covers all of these scenarios. It avoids the specific technologies involved and targets the behaviour that's dangerous.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:11 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:In the US. some states have a "driving distracted" law that covers all of these scenarios. It avoids the specific technologies involved and targets the behaviour that's dangerous.
So I hope that makes it illegal to drive with the stereo sound system on :?: :P
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

clackers

Postby clackers » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:23 pm

il padrone wrote:
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:In the US. some states have a "driving distracted" law that covers all of these scenarios. It avoids the specific technologies involved and targets the behaviour that's dangerous.
Or talking to passengers, changing radio stations, doing Facebook updates with one hand, etc. :-)

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:01 pm

There is a blanket charge that Police can apply here too - driving without due care and attention.

But the phone specific laws raise some interesting questions. A driver cannot touch a phone while driving, and earbuds do not satisfy the definition of handsfree. So if this law applies to cyclists, you cannot touch a phone mounted on the handlebars, and wearing earbuds may be questionable too.

Back to the original question - if you are prepared to pay the price premium, these Jaybird Bluebuds might be the answer. I'm tempted.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:41 pm

clackers wrote:
il padrone wrote:
Or talking to passengers, changing radio stations, doing Facebook updates with one hand, etc. :-)
Yes! IIRC, there was one driver charged with it due to yelling at their kids in the back seat.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:02 pm

RonK wrote:
There is a blanket charge that Police can apply here too - driving without due care and attention.

But the phone specific laws raise some interesting questions. A driver cannot touch a phone while driving, and earbuds do not satisfy the definition of handsfree. So if this law applies to cyclists,
It does. Legally all bicycles are vehicles and the laws applying to drivers of vehicles under the road rules 2009 apply to cyclists also.

Another reason to have a dedicated GPS rather than the Iphone/Android accessory - legally you cannot touch it while riding (driving).
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Captainfluoro

Postby Captainfluoro » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:48 pm

So glad there's a topic for this. I've tried, discarded and broken so many headphones (bluetooth and corded) while cycling!
My biggest issue is the wind noise that the device itself creates. A couple have mentioned it, in this thread, but it's never featured in reviews of devices. Most sports reviewers are only runners.
I notice that my own ears create a lot of whistle that only goes with my head turned. Is there something that can shroud this, and actually improve my road perception?

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:06 am

Hi

Digging up an old thread instead of getting a new one going. Has anyone tried the Bone Conduction style and have any feedback about them? I'm interested in listening to tunes again while on the Fwy cycle path down the mandurah end, but still want to have some realisation of persons near me / calling out 'bike back" etc.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:30 am

Tornado wrote:Hi

Digging up an old thread instead of getting a new one going. Has anyone tried the Bone Conduction style and have any feedback about them? I'm interested in listening to tunes again while on the Fwy cycle path down the mandurah end, but still want to have some realisation of persons near me / calling out 'bike back" etc.
Do they still make Bone Fones? I haven't seen those in a couple of decades -

David

Update: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-STEREO-B ... xy4t1SfZeW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess they make something else now -
Last edited by cj7hawk on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:31 am

Tornado wrote:Hi

Hey Tornado,

i tested a set of the original Aftershokz bone conduction headphones a couple of years ago (only in a shopping centre though) and i was impressed. Music quality wasnt great (Good enough for riding, though) but i was able to hold a conversation with the store assistant without any real issue.

Would love to grab a set for real world testing but so far have been unable to swindle a pair.

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:52 am

Yeah those Aftershokz type were the ones I stumbled across. I might suck it up and be a test dummy. Wait and see.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:59 am

I use ones from this family:

http://en-au.sennheiser.com/pmx-686g-sports" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They don't seal around your ear, and the band goes below the helmet line.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:03 am

I have Powerbeats bluetooth wireless, and to be brutally honest, the sound quality is awful on those. You have to blast the volume to hear your music. Otherwise you hear everything else and nothing of your own music. Might as well not listen to music at all.

Fortunately I got them at a very cheap price. I hardly ever use them - perhaps only sometimes for indoor interval training. My normal headphones for non-cycling are Bose Quiet Comfort 15, so perhaps I'm expecting too much from the Powerbeats earphones.

1talian.steel

Postby 1talian.steel » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:22 pm

I've got a set of the Aftershockz, and ride with them regularly. They do not block out the ambient noise. The nature of the sound reproduction on first 'listen' is a bit different to what you would expect, but once you become used to it, it is more than OK. Headphonics in Tuart Hill offers a trial period on their headphones if you wnat to give them a go.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:06 am

I know it's probably no help in this day and age but I just strapped a small radio to my strut (stem) when I was training in the early hours back in the 70s. [emoji106]

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

StevOz

Postby StevOz » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:13 am

Personally if I wanted to listen to music on the go I'd just mount my ue mini boom to my handlebars with a couple of zip ties. These little speakers can really pump out the sound and sound great. You can get them for about $60 to $70 on special, available at most of the big electronics stores, Harvey Norman have them for $67 at the moment for instance.

Also the pedestrians will hear you coming so that's another plus. :)

links..

Harvey ue mini boom

Review here

softy

Postby softy » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:17 pm

Okay two points.

First point
The law (at least in WA) doesn't refer to phones, it refers to electronic equipment. This means that if you operate a electronic device by touching or picking it up whilst driving it is legal. The acception to this is if it is in a specifically designed mount.

Now for headsets / earphones, as long as you don't touch the specific device (electronic device generating the call / music you should be okay. Eg: volume remote on a cord or volume on a bluetooth device.

Second point
i use the adidas sport which is a rigid one piece device. The half ring goes behind the head under the helmet tensioner. They don't fall out as i have found the seperate ones do. It has a cord volume i clip to my bacpack chest strap, so can change the volume. I do not need to touch the electronic device. I like the radio so it is a small bush unit about the same size a a matchbox. The adidas headset and lead i have been using for a long time, has never broken or stopped working and has been in many downpours. Absolutely fantastic! Silicon covered leads, waterproof and durable. The leads also dangle and i have pulled them many times.

Fantastic product!

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:31 pm

+1 for the aftershoks

softy

Postby softy » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:41 am

Bluejay87 wrote:+1 for the aftershoks
Had a quick look at these, seems opinions are divided.

I would be keen on the plug in ones but anymore feedback on these would be appreciated.

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:23 pm

softy wrote:
Bluejay87 wrote:+1 for the aftershoks
Had a quick look at these, seems opinions are divided.

I would be keen on the plug in ones but anymore feedback on these would be appreciated.
I have the bluez 2. Not sure what the plug in ones are like. Sound quality is pretty reasonable considering they don't actually go in your ears, but if there is heavy traffic around the sound quality goes down. But that is kind of the point, so that you can hear ambient noise. I do find though that it can still get pretty loud at full volume to the point where you can't hear people properly. The buttons though are pretty conveniently located so it is easy to put sound on pause and adjust the volume on the go. It has an inbuilt mic too but never actually tried to use for a call.

Let me know if you have any questions

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:33 pm

foo on patrol wrote:I know it's probably no help in this day and age but I just strapped a small radio to my strut (stem) when I was training in the early hours back in the 70s. [emoji106]

Foo
Haha Foo. As a kid I had a headlight with integrated AM radio and horn button on my bmx.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:42 am

^^^ Well weren't you the flash one! :shock: :lol: ^^^

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km