Repco Appreciation Society

singlespeedscott

Re: Repco Appreciation Society

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:23 pm

repcollector wrote:Around the late 80's the benefits of a better quality machine were more obvious after putting in endless k's to work and around local streets, and after speaking to the LBS at the time he sold me a "runout" Cro-Mo Ricardo frame and I built a new bike from scratch (and yes! it cost-more! :lol: ) That bike was built up with 1st gen 105 group on Araya 700c rims.

Well, now I knew what I'd been missing out on! But there was just one thing that was still missing..... it wasn't a Repco........I can't remember how long after I built the Ricardo up that I actually sold it off. But one thing I do remember, I wanted a repco with the same smoothness and refinement of the Ricardo, I wanted a Eurosport Tri-A with 105 .....
Sorry as much as i like Repco's give me an Aussie built Ricardo any day. Mine ride so nice

Sorry for the hate.

repcollector

Postby repcollector » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:55 am

Andrew, Where do you live? I might sell my Euro.
Hi Crowz , that's a very nice ride! spot on fave with the colour / decals / year as well. Is that the same bike that appeared in other pages with guards and panniers as a commuter? You've certainly looked after her too. I'm down Melbourne way if that's within reach and you do decide to part with her one day.

Sorry as much as i like Repco's give me an Aussie built Ricardo any day. Mine ride so nice

Sorry for the hate.
No worries singlespeed, no offense taken. The Ricardo was a blast to ride, so smooth and precise, it's a shame I didn't know anyone back then with a similarly equipped Repco for a real comparison. I've always liked the colourways / graphics and overall aesthetics of the Repcos through time. Actually the Apollo rides smoother and certainly stops a lot better than 2 of the Tri-As, and that one's running the rsx group... shhh! .

-Andrew

TedDancin

Postby TedDancin » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:17 pm

I know it's nothing too exciting, but thought I'd post it here for longevity.

Picked up a mid/late(?) 80s Monaco recently, that had never been ridden. Story was that a man had bought it new and left it in his shed, and it was sold at a deceased estate this year. I bought it off someone who had tried to turn it into a fixie, but given up. It had a few small scratches from being moved around, but otherwise good as new.

I added Shimano light action group and some Weinmann brakes I had lying around to match the rims. New tyres, chain, cables and bar tape, and it's now making a friend's Christmas a happy one. Rides quite nicely too, doesn't feel as heavy at it looks.

Dan

Postby Dan » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:01 pm

Crowz wrote:
repcollector wrote:
Will find that nice 105 equipped Eurosport Tri-A one day.....

cheers Andrew
So you can buy my Europa James ;)

Crowz

Postby Crowz » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:38 pm

Dan wrote:
Crowz wrote:
repcollector wrote:
Will find that nice 105 equipped Eurosport Tri-A one day.....

cheers Andrew
[img]snip[/img]
IF I sell it, it will be to buy a larger bike. I think something along the lines of 60-62cm. How big is your Europa, Dan?

Dan

Postby Dan » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:47 pm

Not that big. 57. Didn't think you were that tall...

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:25 am

Crowz wrote:
Dan wrote:
Crowz wrote: Andrew, Where do you live? I might sell my Euro.
[img]snip[/img]
IF I sell it, it will be to buy a larger bike. I think something along the lines of 60-62cm. How big is your Europa, Dan?
I've got a 61cm GEOFSCO frame on eBay if your interested.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:26 am

singlespeedscott wrote:
Crowz wrote:
Dan wrote: So you can buy my Europa James ;)
I've got a 61cm Geoff Scott frame on eBay if your interested.

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:44 pm

There's a really nice Nishiki Tri-A on fleabay now, item 261145807689 . Mine is identical or was before it was used a bit. This appears not to have been used much at all, and I'd be a bit interested if it was a bigger frame. Mine had the head tube painted black to match the rest of the frame by some bozo, so I was interested to see the correct sticker on the front.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:25 pm

Found this stem in a charity shop. Is this a Repco 'R' ?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:28 pm

Lots of steel bikes wrote:Found this stem in a charity shop. Is this a Repco 'R' ?

Looks like it to me.

munga

Postby munga » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:48 pm

sure is. where's the rest of the bike?

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:16 pm

munga wrote:sure is. where's the rest of the bike?
Unfortunately no bike. Just the stem. Was this stem used on any particular model?

munga

Postby munga » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:13 pm

yeah, the vertex (road and tt) from 87/88. maybe others, but that's the only place i've seen them.

rusco

Postby rusco » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:33 am

I had one stuck in the forks of a late 80's eurosport. Sadly it needed a severe hammering to her it to break the bond it had with the forks.

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:42 pm

If anybody is interested there is a Superlite looking for a new home at the LifeLine Op shop in Margate (Brisbane) at the Corner of Seal Ln and Beaconsfield St. It's blue, rather grubby but looks original and complete and the size probably around 56 cms. The asking price is a reasonable $20.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:42 pm

RE
Lots of steel bikes » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:25 am
"Found this stem in a charity shop. Is this a Repco 'R' ?"
&
munga » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:13 pm
"yeah, the vertex (road and tt) from 87/88. maybe others, but that's the only place i've seen them."
&
rusco » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:33 am
"I had one stuck in the forks of a late 80's eurosport"

+1 to Munga & +1 to rusco
Have seen it on 1987/1988 Repco Vertex & a 1988/1989 Repco Eurosport Tria…..
1987/1988 Cat for Vertex lists it as "Win Sigma H 100mm" for the TT Bike, no listing for the Road Bike Frame version.
1988/1989 Cat for Eurosport Tria lists it as "Kusuki Alloy Handle Bar & Stem"
Also
1987/1988 Cat for Eurosport Tria lists Stem as "Win Sigma H"

The 1987/1988 & 1988/1989 Victory Tria's had Nitto Stems
It was not fitted as standard on the 1987/1988 Olympic 12's or the Superlites

For the 1987/88 Vertex & 1988/89 Eurosport Tria Cat Says "Win Sigma H 100mm"
=>> Stampings on riser above minimum insertion line should say "Win Japan 22.2".
Both bikes came with identical stem & bars.
=>> The Stem should be matched to Bars that have on LHS "Win Kusuki" & RHS "Winpista Japan" "Built Bar PATP"

As Munga said "try to find the rest of the bike" it is most likely either a Eursport Tria or a Vertex.

Rob

olympic12

Postby olympic12 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:28 pm

hi all, i'm new on the board.
just acquired a repco olympic 12 recently, which came with biopace chain ring, 6-speed cluster and araya rims.
also just changed new tyres and rims recently.
frame was made by giant as there is a sticker on the bike "535 cr mo giant".
not sure if i can post pics at this time.
cheers.

sunho

Postby sunho » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:48 am

my "new" eurosport Tri-A - 1988/89 I believe, same as the one David uploaded on his photobucket.
11.00kgs
parts are shimano 600 "unfortunately"!
Maxxis Purple Fuse tyres came in handy
Stem as the "R" if you were wondering.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:44 pm

sunho wrote:my "new" eurosport Tri-A - 1988/89 I believe, same as the one David uploaded on his photobucket.
11.00kgs
parts are shimano 600 "unfortunately"!
Maxxis Purple Fuse tyres came in handy
Stem as the "R" if you were wondering.

Nice. I didn't realize any base Repco models came with anything higher than 105! You had to pony up to the Vertex's to get anything quality.

Devion88

Postby Devion88 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:19 pm

Hi all,

So I've had this bike since 2008 and saw a few mentions on the Rossini in this forum and wanted to see if anyone knows about this?

It's equipped with Shimano 105 7 speed, RSX shifters, 105 brakes, 105 cranks, originally had Biopace rings and a Turbo seat (still have these originals). Wheels are Araya Super Hard and 105 hubs. Nitto stem and bars, Sugino seat post. Sold by Castlemain Cycles per the sticker on the frame. Has a Made in Italy sticker on the frame near the bottom bracket, but I'm not sure it's true.

As the paint is getting band and a bit of rust is showing, wanted to see if there is any info before I send it in for sandblasting and new paint.

Cheers
Drew

sunho

Postby sunho » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:59 pm

I cheated there and did a swapout from a previous bike :D

olympic12

Postby olympic12 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:35 pm

according to the catalogs DavidI posted, mine is a 1988/1989 10.7kg Olympic 12.
I'm so glad that mine is from that year model as I understand that would be the last Olympic 12 before they changed it to Olympic 14?!
can anyone confirm?
in very near future, I'm also going to upgrade the fork to 1" threadless fork with threadless headset and new stem to make it even lighter. maybe seatpost too.
i only have one pic at the moment:

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:56 pm

olympic12 wrote:according to the catalogs DavidI posted, mine is a 1988/1989 10.7kg Olympic 12.
I'm so glad that mine is from that year model as I understand that would be the last Olympic 12 before they changed it to Olympic 14?!
can anyone confirm?
in very near future, I'm also going to upgrade the fork to 1" threadless fork with threadless headset and new stem to make it even lighter. maybe seatpost too.
Sounds about right, giant made frame with unicrown fork. I'm not a fan of threadless on old steel, the stems look really out of place, I'd keep it original. But it's your bike to do with what you will and not to offend, but it's not exotic enough that anyone will shed a tear if you do. Enjoy your ride!

olympic12

Postby olympic12 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:20 pm

Thanks cray. Yeah I've been riding this everyday and so far have covered approximately 100km since I acquired the bike.
Absolutely love it.
But would you be able to confirm whether this would be the last Olympic 12 before the Olympic 14?
When was the first time the Olympic 14 released?
Yeah it's a cheap bike cray and the frame is not tremendously 'rare' to the extent that anyone would want one unlike, say, Vertex or Eurosport.
Later down the track, maybe planning to restore/repaint the frame too.
Cheers.
cray- wrote:
olympic12 wrote:according to the catalogs DavidI posted, mine is a 1988/1989 10.7kg Olympic 12.
can anyone confirm?
Sounds about right, giant made frame with unicrown fork. I'm not a fan of threadless on old steel, the stems look really out of place, I'd keep it original. But it's your bike to do with what you will and not to offend, but it's not exotic enough that anyone will shed a tear if you do. Enjoy your ride!