Essendon to Mount Macedon - best way there + tips

A-Style

Essendon to Mount Macedon - best way there + tips

Postby A-Style » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:49 pm

Hi there,

Me and a few friends are thinking of tackling Mt Macedon in the next week or two and we're wondering from Essendon what is the best way to get there?

From our research we figure we could ride through the back of the Melbourne Airport up Sunbury Rd to Sunbury and then onwards to Gisborne and Mt Macedon from there via Riddel and Dalrymple Rds.

Has anyone ever gone through this route or is it better to take the Calder Hwy.

Also, from all accounts it sounds like a relatively challenging ride? Can anyone give us some insight. We've done Kinglake a few times and I hear its tougher still.

Like to hear people's thoughts.

Thanks

oldnewby

Re: Essendon to Mount Macedon - best way there + tips

Postby oldnewby » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:49 pm

I've done Kinglake twice, and Macedon (both sides) once.
I think Kinglake is a bit longer, but there are some very steep pinches on the Macedon side of Mt Macedon. Average gradient from bottom to top wouldn't be higher than kinglake, but I reckon there's bits that are 12-15%. Offset by some false flats, and even downhills near the top.
I found Woodend side not too bad, but Macedon side definitely harder than Kinglake.
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels"

clackers

Postby clackers » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:07 pm

The Woodend side is pretty even. You could just go down the other side but the trip into the memorial park to the cafe's worth it.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:54 pm

I'd avoid the Melbs airport to Sunbury section like the plague, the road aint the best and the traffic has that banzai factor that'll want you carrying spare knicks and baby wipes. The climb out of the valley just this side of Bulla hurts your legs and the powered vehicles seem to want to hurt your body.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

saintdarth

Postby saintdarth » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:14 pm

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/co ... to-macedon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lancefield Road can be a bit hairy with cars passing a high speed

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:38 pm

saintdarth wrote:http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/co ... to-macedon

Lancefield Road can be a bit hairy with cars passing a high speed
I went almost the same way on Christmas day, but I took Mascoma Rd around the back of Essendon Airport. Strava link

Kinglake is easier than Macedon.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

A-Style

Postby A-Style » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:23 pm

Mulger bill wrote:I'd avoid the Melbs airport to Sunbury section like the plague, the road aint the best and the traffic has that banzai factor that'll want you carrying spare knicks and baby wipes. The climb out of the valley just this side of Bulla hurts your legs and the powered vehicles seem to want to hurt your body.
Thanks for this feedback. We had planned to go this way but it sounds like it might better to stay off these roads.

I've done Wildwood Rd several times so I am acquainted with those roads although parts of that loop can be a little hairy given the way some idiots drive around there. Somerton Rd is particular dangerous I find with parts with no bitumen bike lanes and only a very narrow shoulder. In some parts the soil has eroded away from where the road starts which makes riding there even more difficult.

What's the Calder Fwy like to ride on?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:10 am

A-Style wrote:What's the Calder Fwy like to ride on?
I quite like it, you will get a workout. You'll have to get on at the new Kings Rd interchange and watch where you put your wheels between Thunderdome and south Gisborne, the shoulders collect some serious crap, including a long dead fox I couldn't avoid near the Gap Rd exit northbound :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

A-Style

Postby A-Style » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:40 am

Mulger bill wrote:
A-Style wrote:What's the Calder Fwy like to ride on?
I quite like it, you will get a workout. You'll have to get on at the new Kings Rd interchange and watch where you put your wheels between Thunderdome and south Gisborne, the shoulders collect some serious crap, including a long dead fox I couldn't avoid near the Gap Rd exit northbound :(
Ok. This might be viable option as well. I would have thought it might be a little daunting just given the fact that cars motor by. What's the road surface like? Is it a rough bitumen or smooth?