How far do you ride?

Ross

Re: How far do you ride?

Postby Ross » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:41 pm

Congratulations on your ride, Wilson. If you want to start a career in cyclingthen of course you will need to join a club first and start doing some racing. Then get a coach so you have some structured training and don't injure yourself or overeach/overtrain. Coach should also be able to arrange testing such as Lactate and VO2 max (not sure, you are maybe too young for that yet?). When/if you start going well in local races (timeframe 2 or 2 years from now probably) and you're in A grade you can do some interstate Open races. If you get some good results in these then you might get picked up for a NRS team. If you do well in NRS races there is a chance you might get a place in a Euro team (you'll probably be 20-21 by then). No guarantee of any of this of course. Testing might show that you don't have the physiology to be an elite cyclist. In which case you can "just" be like most other racing cyclists (me) and just stay a club level racer. Nothing wrong with that, you are still riding/racing your bike, probably work out better and cheaper in the long run.

To even get to local races you will need support from your parents to drive out to races, pay entry fees, pay for bike, equipment (training wheels/bike, HR monitor, powermeter, windtrainer etc). Interstate races cost even more for entry fees, hotel bills, travel costs. Coaching and testing costs a fair bit of money too. A part time job at a bike shop probably won't pay enough to cover these expenses and it's very unlikely you will win enough in prize money to cover it.

It's a very tough road and you have to really talented and really committed. No going out patying with your mates. Pretty much the only mates you will have will be other cyclists. You'll be lucky to have the time (or energy!) for a girlfriend, if you do she will most likely be a cyclist too. Getting up at stupid o'çlock to go training most mornings, while freezing your arse off on the bike over winter and boiling hot over summer. You will eat, drink, live, breathe cycling. There will be virtually nothing else in your life. It's a lifestyle, not a job.

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:15 pm

Ross wrote:Congratulations on your ride, Wilson. If you want to start a career in cyclingthen of course you will need to join a club first and start doing some racing. Then get a coach so you have some structured training and don't injure yourself or overeach/overtrain. Coach should also be able to arrange testing such as Lactate and VO2 max (not sure, you are maybe too young for that yet?). When/if you start going well in local races (timeframe 2 or 2 years from now probably) and you're in A grade you can do some interstate Open races. If you get some good results in these then you might get picked up for a NRS team. If you do well in NRS races there is a chance you might get a place in a Euro team (you'll probably be 20-21 by then). No guarantee of any of this of course. Testing might show that you don't have the physiology to be an elite cyclist. In which case you can "just" be like most other racing cyclists (me) and just stay a club level racer. Nothing wrong with that, you are still riding/racing your bike, probably work out better and cheaper in the long run.

To even get to local races you will need support from your parents to drive out to races, pay entry fees, pay for bike, equipment (training wheels/bike, HR monitor, powermeter, windtrainer etc). Interstate races cost even more for entry fees, hotel bills, travel costs. Coaching and testing costs a fair bit of money too. A part time job at a bike shop probably won't pay enough to cover these expenses and it's very unlikely you will win enough in prize money to cover it.

It's a very tough road and you have to really talented and really committed. No going out patying with your mates. Pretty much the only mates you will have will be other cyclists. You'll be lucky to have the time (or energy!) for a girlfriend, if you do she will most likely be a cyclist too. Getting up at stupid o'çlock to go training most mornings, while freezing your arse off on the bike over winter and boiling hot over summer. You will eat, drink, live, breathe cycling. There will be virtually nothing else in your life. It's a lifestyle, not a job.
Thanks for all the information, I suppose you're a Pro?
Well, there are sacrifices that has to be made to accomplish certain things.
Ive already planned to join a club near where I live, but im trying to find one that supports junior races so that I can have more assistance and support throughout racing/training and all sorts of those things.
OR, i think I should join a club with LESS junior members so I can stand out more which would probably be beneficial to me.
Besides, partying is bad for you :lol: Alcohol, underage "cough" and unexpected preg... :lol:
I mean, if I do eventually get to some sort of a elite level, I suppose costs related to racing, ie. Entry fees, equipment, traveling expenses wouldn't matter as the sponsors (if theres any) would probably pay for it.
I did my first race last year as a Novice and ended up with an embarrassing 9th out of 15. Keep in mind i started cycling for only a month back then.
Theres one obstacle through, my mom insisted me i must attend a Uni whatever happens :cry:
2015 BMC TimeMachine TMR02
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:24 pm

15wilsonwu wrote:Mt Dandenong and 1 in 20....
....The first part was all relaxing and stuff but the second part was truly terrifying. The cars were literally passing by with 1mm of space left between us, i had to ride on the gravel in fear of being knocked over. Oh, I was on Canterbury road.
Go earlier - much less traffic. Lots of roadies were heading out this morning on Canterbury at Vermont around 7.30am. This is late for many.
15wilsonwu wrote:I started to pant, well, semi-pant about half way up there :oops: (dont judge me :P )
On long climbs, to maintain your endurance develop deep breathing - one breathe in and out for about 4 complete pedal revolutions seems to work for me. Panting will leave you in oxygen debt. Breathe deep and slow.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:31 pm

il padrone wrote:
15wilsonwu wrote:Mt Dandenong and 1 in 20....
....The first part was all relaxing and stuff but the second part was truly terrifying. The cars were literally passing by with 1mm of space left between us, i had to ride on the gravel in fear of being knocked over. Oh, I was on Canterbury road.
Go earlier - much less traffic. Lots of roadies were heading out this morning on Canterbury at Vermont around 7.30am. This is late for many.
15wilsonwu wrote:I started to pant, well, semi-pant about half way up there :oops: (dont judge me :P )
On long climbs, to maintain your endurance develop deep breathing - one breathe in and out for about 4 complete pedal revolutions seems to work for me. Panting will leave you in oxygen debt. Breathe deep and slow.
7:30?!?! Holy Frack!
Normally on non-cycling, aka running days, I wake at like 11-12!
Even for cycling days, i have to drag myself off my bed like a zombie. Only after I drown my face in water I properly wake up :mrgreen:
Btw, I'm trying to adjust my sleeping hours by going to bed earlier (even though I stay awake for like 4 hours before being able to sleep).
I'll probably not use Canterbury road as the frequent ups and downs wears me out. :x
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:35 pm

15wilsonwu wrote:Normally on non-cycling, aka running days, I wake at like 11-12!
Even for cycling days, i have to drag myself off my bed like a zombie
Teenagers eh :roll: . They say teenagers do really need about 10 hrs sleep as a routine.
15wilsonwu wrote:I'll probably not use Canterbury road as the frequent ups and downs wears me out. :x
All excellent training for you.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:50 pm

il padrone wrote:
15wilsonwu wrote:Normally on non-cycling, aka running days, I wake at like 11-12!
Even for cycling days, i have to drag myself off my bed like a zombie
Teenagers eh :roll: . They say teenagers do really need about 10 hrs sleep as a routine.
15wilsonwu wrote:I'll probably not use Canterbury road as the frequent ups and downs wears me out. :x
All excellent training for you.

Pre-teen*
I dont think 13yo is considered as a teen :P
Oh, id rather save the energy to slowly conquer the 1 in 20. Or even be the KOM in a couple of years.
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:06 pm

15wilsonwu wrote:
Ha ha if your cycling career doesn't take off then you could be a comedien. Far from being a pro, very, very, very far.

15wilsonwu wrote: Well, there are sacrifices that has to be made to accomplish certain things.
Ive already planned to join a club near where I live, but im trying to find one that supports junior races so that I can have more assistance and support throughout racing/training and all sorts of those things.
OR, i think I should join a club with LESS junior members so I can stand out more which would probably be beneficial to me.
Besides, partying is bad for you :lol: Alcohol, underage "cough" and unexpected preg... :lol:
I mean, if I do eventually get to some sort of a elite level, I suppose costs related to racing, ie. Entry fees, equipment, traveling expenses wouldn't matter as the sponsors (if theres any) would probably pay for it.
I did my first race last year as a Novice and ended up with an embarrassing 9th out of 15. Keep in mind i started cycling for only a month back then.
Theres one obstacle through, my mom insisted me i must attend a Uni whatever happens :cry:
Quite a few people in my club juggle uni and cycling though you may need to take a short break from cycling or wind it back a bit when writing up your thesis.That's a long way off for you anyway so don't worry too much about that just yet.

Not many people win their first race so don't worry too much about that either.

Most serious road cyclists get up quite early <5am to go out training. Two reasons; to avoid traffic and secondly most people have to go to school or work afterwards.

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:41 pm

Ross wrote:
15wilsonwu wrote:
Ha ha if your cycling career doesn't take off then you could be a comedien. Far from being a pro, very, very, very far.

15wilsonwu wrote: Well, there are sacrifices that has to be made to accomplish certain things.
Quite a few people in my club juggle uni and cycling though you may need to take a short break from cycling or wind it back a bit when writing up your thesis.That's a long way off for you anyway so don't worry too much about that just yet.

Not many people win their first race so don't worry too much about that either.

Most serious road cyclists get up quite early <5am to go out training. Two reasons; to avoid traffic and secondly most people have to go to school or work afterwards.
Then i seriously hacve to sort out my piorities :lol:
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:10 pm

11/12 oclock what :shock:

I only took up the sport at 14.5yrs of age and I was doing an hour and half 0f training after school and then when I started work at the end of year 10, I was getting up at 4.30 am and doing an 1.5hrs before starting at 6.30am and then knock off at 4.15pm and do another 1-1.5 hrs training. Then when I got my drivers license it was 40Klm before starting at 6.30am and another 1.5hrs after work and then 1-1.5hrs at the gym and race two days over the weekend. So you have a long way to go, if you are going to be committed. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Tez

Postby Tez » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:50 pm

Looks like I'm the only real newbie to riding here. At the moment I ride a 23km loop with two hills (i guess is nothing for you guys) which I can finish in 53 minutes. There is also a flat (slight incline) 24km loop which I do every second day in 51 minutes. Tomorrow morning I am going to see if I can smash out a 30km ride without having a heart attack lol. My goal is to be capable of riding 50kms in a single ride by the end of June (at which time I intend to join a club), then 100kms by the end of the year. We all have to start somewhere... :)

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:55 pm

Tez wrote:Looks like I'm the only real newbie to riding here. At the moment I ride a 23km loop with two hills (i guess is nothing for you guys) which I can finish in 53 minutes. There is also a flat (slight incline) 24km loop which I do every second day in 51 minutes. Tomorrow morning I am going to see if I can smash out a 30km ride without having a heart attack lol. My goal is to be capable of riding 50kms in a single ride by the end of June (at which time I intend to join a club), then 100kms by the end of the year. We all have to start somewhere... :)
Welcome to the forum.

That is a great beginning and some realistic goals.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:57 pm

Tez wrote:Looks like I'm the only real newbie to riding here. At the moment I ride a 23km loop with two hills (i guess is nothing for you guys) which I can finish in 53 minutes. There is also a flat (slight incline) 24km loop which I do every second day in 51 minutes. Tomorrow morning I am going to see if I can smash out a 30km ride without having a heart attack lol. My goal is to be capable of riding 50kms in a single ride by the end of June (at which time I intend to join a club), then 100kms by the end of the year. We all have to start somewhere... :)
You won't have any trouble riding 50Klms by June, you will be doing that by the middle of next month Tez. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:01 pm

A quick Google finds

How to become a professional cyclist - a theoretical roadmap

How to become an Olympic athlete

The Cyclist's Training Bible (Paperback) By (author) Joe Friel

There is more to being a "Pro" athlete then just choosing to be one. Use Google.

Toyopet

Postby Toyopet » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:12 pm

Welcome Tez.
The only way is up - improvement, speed, hills :!:

Congratulations 15WilsonWu on your first mountain ride.
I've just shown my 15yo your ride report in an attempt to get him riding the Dandenongs more often.
Hope it works.

Sorry to hear about your close shaves along Canterbury Rd.
Some suggestions, in addition to getting out there earlier in the day.
* Claim the lane and "ride big".
* Use Whitehorse Rd instead of Canterbury Rd - seems to have more/wider lanes (and nicer traffic).

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:20 am

foo on patrol wrote:
You won't have any trouble riding 50Klms by June, you will be doing that by the middle of next month Tez. :wink:

Foo
Yep, took me only a few months to do 100 km in 1 ride.
Ill pay 50 million if you cant by june :wink:
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:27 am

Toyopet wrote:Welcome Tez.
The only way is up - improvement, speed, hills :!:

Congratulations 15WilsonWu on your first mountain ride.
I've just shown my 15yo your ride report in an attempt to get him riding the Dandenongs more often.
Hope it works.

Sorry to hear about your close shaves along Canterbury Rd.
Some suggestions, in addition to getting out there earlier in the day.
* Claim the lane and "ride big".
* Use Whitehorse Rd instead of Canterbury Rd - seems to have more/wider lanes (and nicer traffic).
I'll try Whitehorse next week, or now? Its 6:30... Meh, ill do a short recovery ride :P
It might sound gay (if you're Homosexual, please do not take this offensively. If you do, i wish to say that I apologize and I have no intention of doing so) but im actually flattered that you're using my ride to motivate your son :mrgreen:
But if he doesn't like riding, don't force him :wink:
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:31 am

mitzikatzi wrote:A quick Google finds

How to become a professional cyclist - a theoretical roadmap

How to become an Olympic athlete

The Cyclist's Training Bible (Paperback) By (author) Joe Friel

There is more to being a "Pro" athlete then just choosing to be one. Use Google.
[quote]Hint: Choose your parents wisely![/quote]

Made a catastrophic mistake already :roll:
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:02 pm

15wilsonwu wrote:Made a catastrophic mistake already :roll:
:lol: Hope they never shoulder surf you Wilson :D

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:51 pm

Mulger bill wrote:

Shaun
Shoulder surf? :oops:
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:00 am

15wilsonwu wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:

Shaun
Shoulder surf? :oops:
Hope they aren't reading this forum... :shock: As much as they might bug you, treat them right - you only get one set of them, and sometimes for not that long.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:22 am

Chances are they already have read the post Wilson, pity your post is too old to be edited- by you :twisted:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:39 am

Well flock :|
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:22 pm

I'm just at the same cafe yesterday on the same seat I was one yesterday's :lol:
Essentially did the same climb but I got there via Whitehorse road, the cars slightly friendlier.
But there was ONE 4x4 that was honking at me while waiting for the lights :shock:
All I did was flip him the bird and took off (lights were green Ofc)
Predictably he overtook me within 5 second.

Instead of having a latte and sausage roll like yesterday's, I'm waiting for a BLT while I'm enjoying my coco millshake :P
This time I DID bring my armwarmwrs :wink:
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:25 pm

STRAAAVAAAAAAAA

http://app.strava.com/activities/37493075" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:59 am

15wilsonwu wrote: hmm... i'll try your method and see how much i improve. :lol: Oh btw, it's pretty impressive that you can do such a long ride (at least i think it is lol) when you have a 16yo :P !
Not sure whether you are suggesting that Trailgumby may be past it having a sixteen year old but FWIW I rode 70km on my 70th birthday and 110km a few weeks later and ride more that 100km most weeks.

My average speed is not too flash however!

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!