Best Cycle computer in January 2012?

Xplora

Best Cycle computer in January 2012?

Postby Xplora » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:11 pm

What are the thoughts of the wise ones? What is the best option right now, especially if you want to stay ANT+? What about future upgrades like power meters?

Phone with GPS - could be inaccurate.
Android Phone with GPS + ANT+ - only Sony Ericsson seems to do it integrated, and none of the recent models, so it seems like this is a dead path. Plus Android doesn't do ANT+ sensors on the major apps.
Iphone + ANT+ - dongle, booo. Plus iPhones are pricey! Wife doesn't have an Iphone, don't have a livetracking option like Find my Friend.
Garmin 500 - cheap right now, but no live tracking, which I think my wife would appreciate a lot.
Garmin 510 - I need a phone as well, that's suddenly 600 bucks?!

I've got a Trek Madone, so Duotrap is on the list.

What do we reckon for right now, and for 12 months?

mitzikatzi

Re: Best Cycle computer in January 2012?

Postby mitzikatzi » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:15 pm

You want to know about last years models?

takai

Postby takai » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:55 am

Garmin 500 and an iPhone here, satisfies all the ANT+ stuff, and also the tracking for the mrs.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:23 am

That's what I have. I never go on a ride without my phone. Use that for maps and calling home. If you get lost and don't call home the police can track you with your phone in any case.

Having maps on your phone is nice but not a necessity.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:55 pm

Thinking about longer term capability and expansion (sensors etc).

The_Eggman

Postby The_Eggman » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:49 pm

takai wrote:Garmin 500 and an iPhone here, satisfies all the ANT+ stuff, and also the tracking for the mrs.
How do you get the live tracking? Is that another iPhone app?

takai

Postby takai » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:19 pm

Wife uses the find my iPhone feature. If I'm out and moving and can't hear the phone ring she can set off the alarm if it is urgent.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:09 am

Reporting back. I need a new phone regardless and it looks like the Sony Xperia Acro S is a winner. Phone is around 400 bucks, can get them on a 2 year 800 dollar contract. ANT+ antenna, waterproof. Proper screen and 4.0 Android. Will it do the battery thing properly? Hmm. Very hard to say, although turning off the various antenna that aren't needed should help. I think that I can't expect to be doing rides beyond 8 hours, and I could surely borrow someone's stuff if necessary.

Easy enough to hook up a Duotrap and a HRM for the full kit up.

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:49 am

Xplora wrote:Reporting back. I need a new phone regardless and it looks like the Sony Xperia Acro S is a winner. Phone is around 400 bucks, can get them on a 2 year 800 dollar contract. ANT+ antenna, waterproof. Proper screen and 4.0 Android. Will it do the battery thing properly? Hmm. Very hard to say, although turning off the various antenna that aren't needed should help. I think that I can't expect to be doing rides beyond 8 hours, and I could surely borrow someone's stuff if necessary.

Easy enough to hook up a Duotrap and a HRM for the full kit up.
Please don't get a !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! Sony phone, just buy a used cadence and heart rate monitor from Cateye, really cheap.
Buy a decent Android phone, trust me its worth going with the big players on the phones!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:31 am

Already got a cat eye. Very limited for strava. Sony isn't really a small player, and all weather is reallllly important for the hardman. Seems that the biggest pArt, gps accuracy, is app dependent so that leaves battery and OS. I am NOT getting a fruit fone.

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:39 am

Xplora wrote: I am NOT getting a fruit fone.

I was referring to the Samsung's and the Nexus'es of today :)

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:10 am

kunalraiker wrote:
Xplora wrote: I am NOT getting a fruit fone.

I was referring to the Samsung's and the Nexus'es of today :)
Cadence sensor integrated to my trek? Sadly the ANT+ protocol is The cycling protocol, and it is all Sony all the time for phones. Acro s is the most recent, and if "we" don't support the tech integration then it will die.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:47 am

The plot thickens. If I get a "rubbish phone" with 3G access, that shouldn't cost more than 100 bucks. I could get the new Edge 510 and use the Live Tracking for around 300 bucks brand new, and that basically back up to 400 bucks all up. No sensors, but the Acro S doesn't have them either. My cuz is a champion so the sensor might not be an issue initially...

Hopefully this stream of consciousness helps some people think through the process :roll:

Abby

Postby Abby » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:30 am

I'm just using a wired Cateye w/ cadence. And my Android phone (Motorola Atrix - $150) in my back jersey pocket as my GPS. Do an upload to Strava when I get home, and if I'm lost, I just stop and check Google Maps on the phone to see where to go next.

Easy-peasy.
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:39 am

Abby, are you able to make adjustments to the uploaded Strava file?

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:41 am

Abby wrote:I'm just using a wired Cateye w/ cadence. And my Android phone (Motorola Atrix - $150) in my back jersey pocket as my GPS. Do an upload to Strava when I get home, and if I'm lost, I just stop and check Google Maps on the phone to see where to go next.

Easy-peasy.
Aby, any information from Cateye that syncs to Strava?

ray

Postby ray » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:02 pm

kunalraiker wrote:
Abby wrote:I'm just using a wired Cateye w/ cadence. And my Android phone (Motorola Atrix - $150) in my back jersey pocket as my GPS. Do an upload to Strava when I get home, and if I'm lost, I just stop and check Google Maps on the phone to see where to go next.

Easy-peasy.
Aby, any information from Cateye that syncs to Strava?
Are you thinking about the Cateye Stealth 50 http://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/CC-GL50/ ?

RRP US$150. Not sure if it comes with speed/cadence sensor. Connects to computer via USB. Supposedly working on Strava upload. Availability beginning of March 2013.

Arty

Postby Arty » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:09 pm

Xplora wrote:The plot thickens. If I get a "rubbish phone" with 3G access, that shouldn't cost more than 100 bucks. I could get the new Edge 510 and use the Live Tracking for around 300 bucks brand new, and that basically back up to 400 bucks all up. No sensors, but the Acro S doesn't have them either. My cuz is a champion so the sensor might not be an issue initially...

Hopefully this stream of consciousness helps some people think through the process :roll:
Question mate, if you get the 510 Garmin why do you still need the fancy phone? If its a cheap phone your looking for you can probably get an unlocked Nokia of some sort from Dick Smiths for less that $60!.... & if its because you want maps then is the 510 the garmin you should be looking at?

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:18 pm

It's an either or...
1. garmin 510 + 3G garbage phone, or possibly Garmin 500...

2. The motivation to get the older iPhone or mid level phone is that it means I can just use the phone for GPS + Strava while I stretch out the purchase of sensors.

3. The motivation to get the Sony Acro S is to sompletely replace the Garmin angle.

Being able to gradually spend is somewhat important given the whole "just spent 500 on shoes and pedals, and probably need a fit in the near future" situation :mrgreen:

Arty

Postby Arty » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:02 pm

Xplora wrote:It's an either or...
1. garmin 510 + 3G garbage phone, or possibly Garmin 500...

2. The motivation to get the older iPhone or mid level phone is that it means I can just use the phone for GPS + Strava while I stretch out the purchase of sensors.

3. The motivation to get the Sony Acro S is to sompletely replace the Garmin angle.

Being able to gradually spend is somewhat important given the whole "just spent 500 on shoes and pedals, and probably need a fit in the near future" situation :mrgreen:
Okay im lost,... :?
If you get the garmin why do you need the phone for GPS + Strava?... upload straight from the Garmin to Strava & the garmin comes with all the sensors you need, speed/cadence/hr
Garmin 510 gives the minister of war & finance the tracking ability too...

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:24 pm

Sorry, making no sense. Each is a different option.

1. Ultimate option. 3G phone used with Garmin 510 (or 810) is the best. Any phone is OK.
2. older iPHone means I could use the phone GPS and an app now for Strava, and then use the phone with a Garmin 500 or 510. iPhone has the Find my Friend option for the wife to stalk me.
3. Sony Acro S can use Garmin Connect directly for livetracking, as well as ANT+ antenna to use the Duotrap/HRM etc. It's an all in one solution.

Option 1 and 3 are about 500-600 bucks each. Option 2 might be around 300-350, but I'd have to get a freebie 3GS Iphone. Would still need a Garmin Edge and sensors in the longer term.

Arty

Postby Arty » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:37 am

Xplora wrote:Sorry, making no sense. Each is a different option.

1. Ultimate option. 3G phone used with Garmin 510 (or 810) is the best. Any phone is OK.
2. older iPHone means I could use the phone GPS and an app now for Strava, and then use the phone with a Garmin 500 or 510. iPhone has the Find my Friend option for the wife to stalk me.
3. Sony Acro S can use Garmin Connect directly for livetracking, as well as ANT+ antenna to use the Duotrap/HRM etc. It's an all in one solution.

Option 1 and 3 are about 500-600 bucks each. Option 2 might be around 300-350, but I'd have to get a freebie 3GS Iphone. Would still need a Garmin Edge and sensors in the longer term.
that makes a little more sense now... maybe a quick ebay search for a cheap Iphone is the answer. Should be able to pick something up for around the $150 mark... then the garmin 510 & your set :D :D :D

Abby

Postby Abby » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:02 pm

Xplora wrote:Abby, are you able to make adjustments to the uploaded Strava file?
Sorry, I think I misread the intent of the original question, so what I do doesn't really help... :oops:

But for the record anyway. My Cateye Strada w/ cadence is stand-alone, doesn't talk to anything. I use it because when I am riding, all I want is current speed & cadence. Don't care about power or heart rate. (I have a HRM watch if I am desperate for that).

As a seperate device, I also have my Android phone in my back jersey pocket. It is busily working away recording my route via GPS using the Strava app. When I get home, I just upload to Strava via my home wifi, and its all there... Plus if I get lost enroute, I have Google Mpas on my phone to stop & check and show me the way onwards...

As I said - just worked out that that doesn't cover the original question, sorry about that...

Cheers,
Abby

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:07 pm

Abby wrote:
Xplora wrote:Abby, are you able to make adjustments to the uploaded Strava file?
Sorry, I think I misread the intent of the original question, so what I do doesn't really help... :oops:

But for the record anyway. My Cateye Strada w/ cadence is stand-alone, doesn't talk to anything. I use it because when I am riding, all I want is current speed & cadence. Don't care about power or heart rate. (I have a HRM watch if I am desperate for that).

As a seperate device, I also have my Android phone in my back jersey pocket. It is busily working away recording my route via GPS using the Strava app. When I get home, I just upload to Strava via my home wifi, and its all there... Plus if I get lost enroute, I have Google Mpas on my phone to stop & check and show me the way onwards...

As I said - just worked out that that doesn't cover the original question, sorry about that...

Cheers,
Abby
Abby,

This is exactly what I would like to do have got the Strava thing happening already.
Just need to get a cadence metre :)

Abby

Postby Abby » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:38 pm

Well, I can recommend the Cateye Strada then. Super-easy to install, and is relatively cheap. Pretty sure I only paid about $50 on special a year or two ago.

I went for the wired version, as I've had trouble in the past with wireless computers interacting with bar-mounted lights, and going a bit haywire.... :roll:

So yeah, you can't 'extract' any data from the Cateye. But the Android phone running Strava does pretty much everything I need anyway (bar power, of course). Suits me well, but I'm sure others would prefer an all-in-one Garmin or Bryton style solution...

What I like about using the phone instead of a Garmin is I don't have to remove the bike computer all the time to sync with Strava, etc. But I'm a simple guy like that... :wink:

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Abby