Never
7%
Would if I could
0%

Total votes: 259
RonK

Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:58 pm

Ok, we already know many forum members have purchased BNA cycling attire.

It would be interesting to know how many members consider this type of garb to be their normal cycling attire.

BTW - I always wear lycra.
Last edited by RonK on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Lukeyboy

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:05 pm

Always wear it when I'm on the roadie. The flatbar is optional as its usually on commuter/shop duties.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:15 pm

Usually...but not always.
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:16 pm

Always for the roadie but never for the taxi (baby seated mountain bike)

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:19 pm

Probably quicker an easier to ask who doesn't.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:21 pm

Mostly for the touring rides I do (but no trade team tops, just plain garments); almost never on my commute, although one pair of trousers I use - the GE Ranchsliders - do have a small proportion of lycra in them, not that anyone would notice it.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

ozstriker

Postby ozstriker » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:31 pm

When it comes to roadies I very rarely see someone that isn't wearing lycra

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:32 pm

Redbull wrote:Probably quicker an easier to ask who doesn't.
Is it? Where I live, ride and commute probably only 1 in 20 cyclists are wearing Lycra. For long distance and enthusiast cycling, Lycra and dedicated cycle wear are the obvious and sensible garb of choice for almost everybody else it is not sensible. Unfortunately for many people, in many parts of Australia cycling is either a enthusiast activity or not at all.

I voted NEVER because "sometimes" over represents the ~2% of the time I wear my Lycra.
ozstriker wrote:When it comes to roadies I very rarely see someone that isn't wearing lycra
What makes somebody a "roadie" if it isn't the lycra? A road bike? Well are you counting the 1000s of hipsters, poor uni students, and my 65 yo father riding 20 year old road bikes?

***Explanation: I do have a bone to pick with the Lycra culture. Not that Lycra is a problem, nor are having enthusiasts a problem. However I see that there is a problem in this country with the lack of non-enthusiast cycling culture. This lack of non-enthusiast cycling culture affects us enthusiasts significantly. It makes it more unsafe on the roads and leads to poorer cycling infrastructure. I would like to see more enthusiasts recognise this and support and encourage cycling no matter what people wear.
Last edited by human909 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

elantra

Postby elantra » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:38 pm

For any significant distance it is Lycra shorts.
But some cheaper brands of Lycra pants do not breath well and are not suitable for summer use.
I got caught in a rainstorm once wearing baggy shorts and had to ride 80km wishing i had chosen lycra.

Usually Lycra top but not always.
Occasionally i will ride to work wearing the intended work-shirt. :?
Sometimes in summer here it is so dam hot and humid that sports T shirt type tops are more comfortable than Lycra jerseys.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:48 pm

elantra wrote:For any significant distance it is Lycra shorts.....

.....Usually Lycra top but not always.
An interesting point. Most people seem unaware that all the road jerseys they see cyclists wearing are not lycra! Your tops are in all likelihood not lycra.

Lycra/spandex/elastane is a polyurethane fibre. Check your labels - most road jerseys are made of various types of polyester fabrics. Coolmax is one that had some adverse effects and is less common now. Lycra is generally only used by cyclists for their shorts (also used by swimmers, skiers, rowers, netballers, dancers, yada, yada - but no-one complains about them :? ).

Back in the 80s there were lycra road jerseys, and if you ever used them you'll know why they are no longer sold - awful clammy, sticky garments. For some reason this is less of an issue with shorts (and I believe the lycra fabrics have been improved).

So really the troglodite public should be bitching about all the rogue cyclists riding about in polyester :|
Mandatory helmet law?

LM324

Postby LM324 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:04 am

There should be a "saving up for a bike so no money for Lycra but would like to (maybe) wear in the future" option :) .That would be where I fit in. So at the moment I voted never, but that's because I have no choice/ don't have Lycra!

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:24 am

Philipthelam wrote:There should be a "saving up for a bike so no money for Lycra but would like to (maybe) wear in the future" option :) .That would be where I fit in. So at the moment I voted never, but that's because I have no choice/ don't have Lycra!
OK then...

Hmmm bugger - didn't realise adding an option would zero all the previous votes. Are you able to reset mods?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

DentedHead

Postby DentedHead » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:43 am

Other than the cycling gloves I received for Xmas I don't own any cycling apparel, and thats not likely to change. While low-impact exercise may have been the catalyst that got me into cycling, most cycling gear isn't particularly suitable for recumbents. Jerseys have pockets in the back, shorts have unneeded padding, etc. I also ride mostly for fun (well, fun exercise at any rate) and performance is not a concern of mine. If I regularly commuted long distances, or was into competitive cycling, or even just cared about my over-all performance it'd be a different story.

Dent.

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:51 am

I never considered "Not wearing" lycra as an option :P

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:11 am

Never. Actually, on tour I wear "lycra" shorts, otherwise, never.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:46 am

Depends... on
1. weather
2. destination (will ride to a meeting but not in bike kit :D )
3. distance (never bother changing for a ride to the shop)
4. which bike I'm on and who I'm riding with (again bike kit not that appropriate for a low speed PSP outing with the family)

Personally I reckon the "always" and "never" crowds are just limiting their opportunities. For fun. And comfort.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:38 am

I just prefer baggy clothing to fitted. Went for sometimes because for long distances I don the knicks, otherwise it's baggies. 'Rarely' would have been a better option. My regular shorts are MTB style baggies with an inner. My only jersey that fits the 'Lycra' badge gets used when the washing hasn't caught up, regularly worn ones are T-shirt style.

I don't fit the roadie category either. Would ride MTB by choice, but have an old steel roadie for commuter duties because it's quicker and I don't wear out my good MTB.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:41 am

Well I guess I'm one of those deadly strava goons who always wears Lycra. Got to have it on during the CCR commute. Well except when I'm tootling along on the BSO with the kids. Then my alter ego takes over and I am compelled to run red lights and buzz people on bike paths.
*goons = hoons , the joys of auto correct. Thought I'd leave it though. Possibly more accurate in my case.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

sblack

Postby sblack » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:13 am

il padrone wrote:An interesting point. Most people seem unaware that all the road jerseys they see cyclists wearing are not lycra! Your tops are in all likelihood not lycra.
My jerseys are merino. Lycra for knicks though.
Lycra/spandex/elastane is a polyurethane fibre. Check your labels - most road jerseys are made of various types of polyester fabrics. Coolmax is one that had some adverse effects and is less common now.
What are the issues with Coolmax? It still seams to have prolific use in both sports and work wear.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:19 am

sblack wrote:
il padrone wrote:An interesting point. Most people seem unaware that all the road jerseys they see cyclists wearing are not lycra! Your tops are in all likelihood not lycra.
My jerseys are merino. Lycra for knicks though.
Yes, merino is even better for a jersey, with the new finer knits. Ground Effect are now doing their knicks out of a lycra-merino blend as well.
sblack wrote:What are the issues with Coolmax? It still seams to have prolific use in both sports and work wear.
Also known as 'Stinkmax'. Don't ever try to wear it for a second day without washing. Other polyesters are a good deal better for wearability, but merino is the best. Touring in the outback (think - no water for clothes washing) we wore merino thermals for days on end and they did not develop a pong.
Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:23 am

RobertFrith wrote:Depends... on
1. weather
2. destination (will ride to a meeting but not in bike kit :D )
3. distance (never bother changing for a ride to the shop)
4. which bike I'm on and who I'm riding with (again bike kit not that appropriate for a low speed PSP outing with the family)
I am pretty much with Rob and others who have said similar. Really depends on the ride and/or bike.

Andrew
Andrew

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:29 am

So far 52% of cyclists here are full-time pure evil. :wink:

I can't vote because I wear a polyester jersey most days and plain polyester/cotton shorts. I don't wear any Lycra/spandex but I'm sure when cycling I look a lot like a lycra clad lone wolf to the average ped.

sblack

Postby sblack » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:32 am

il padrone wrote:Ground Effect are now doing their knicks out of a lycra-merino blend as well.
Good to know, I may have to check them out when in the market for knicks next. I did try Route 7 knicks with some merino in them but the chaimois was the wrong cut for me making them unsuitable.
sblack wrote:What are the issues with Coolmax? It still seams to have prolific use in both sports and work wear.
Also known as 'Stinkmax'. Don't ever try to wear it for a second day without washing. Other polyesters are a good deal better for wearability, but merino is the best. Touring in the outback (think - no water for clothes washing) we wore merino thermals for days on end and they did not develop a pong.
Ahh, ok. I was thinking there may be some more serious issue present that I hadn't heard of. Not suitable for multiday touring but not an issue for many users that wash after each use anyway.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:34 am

Mrfenejeans wrote:I never considered "Not wearing" lycra as an option :P
It's not.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:38 am

warthog1 wrote:
Mrfenejeans wrote:I never considered "Not wearing" lycra as an option :P
It's not.
It is.

Plenty of people wear plain clothing that don't have to be the fastest.