road rage this morning

sparco

Re: road rage this morning

Postby sparco » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:12 am

Almost got side swiped as well last Saturday on my way home solo after a bunch ride. After nearly driving me off the road, this idiot even had the courage to give me the finger.

russo.aus

Postby russo.aus » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:21 am

brett.hooker wrote:It is a horrible feeling. Takes quite a while for the adrenaline to stop pumping and usually takes me a day to flush the frustration it causes out of my system.

Used to happen at least once a week where I used to live a year ago.

Doesn't happen much here in the inner Northside of Brisbane.

Worst I had was a bottle thrown on the ground right underneath me that went off with a huge bang... Glass shattered everywhere under me. That one still makes me angry over a year later...

I try and clear my head by thinking how good cycling is for my health and how much I love riding...
Oh dear, this sounded teribble :/ Actually, one of mates who lives in Brisbane north also had similar thing happened to him and his son when they were out riding, possibly by the same goon :/

always unpleasant when you hear/read these kinds of stories..

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:01 am

The 2nd Womble wrote:If you report any incident via Crimestoppers, the police must follow it up.
i don't recommend reporting incidents to CS. i did once, and had to ring back a couple of times to check on progress, only to be told it was still "under investigation". then the next time i was told the investigation was complete. they refused to tell me the outcome, nor who in the police i could speak to. i think that's disgraceful - it seems the info through CS goes one way only. as i wasn't contacted by the cops, i'd take that as meaning no action was taken against the driver (i was almost hit by RH turner). pretty poor. i'd recommend reporting directly to cop shop, where you have a name of someone to follow up with.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:13 am

Not surprised Jules21. Unless there's some objective evidence, it's hard for the police to investigate and act on the basis of one sided claims. Where's that video camera...
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:17 am

sogood wrote:Not surprised Jules21. Unless there's some objective evidence, it's hard for the police to investigate and act on the basis of one sided claims. Where's that video camera...
you mean this one? :)

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:25 am

jules21 wrote:you mean this one? :)
Didn't know you had a video clip from your earlier post. And how did you submit your video clip with CS? With video clips, wouldn't it be better to do it in person?

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:28 am

sogood wrote:Didn't know you had a video clip from your earlier post. And how did you submit your video clip with CS? With video clips, wouldn't it be better to do it in person?
my experience (not with police necessarily) is that it's better to submit things in writing. conversations can be misrepresented and denied, written submissions cannot. i emailed this to CS with a link to YT. i have the original footage and noted that in my submission, but it was never requested. CS is surely a useful source of info for police, but for a complainant seeking feedback, they are a firewall.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:35 am

jules21 wrote:my experience (not with police necessarily) is that it's better to submit things in writing. conversations can be misrepresented and denied, written submissions cannot.
That's why you go to the police station and insist on making a written statement, with evidence (the video footage).

If they refuse to take the statement - "I want to speak to your superior"

If the superior fails to take the statement - "I want to speak to your superior"

This should of course be for serious road infringements, and I tend to think your right-hook gent was pretty serious enough - very close to a collision.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:42 am

Best people to get involved/report to are the Highway Patrol people...they love this type of stuff. In NSW their mantra is "they are there to reduce road trauma". A lot of them wont actually attend normal police work as it isnt their "core" work and they have been known to actually quote this line to the General Duties police when they have been asked to assist.

I got a result from a recent incident myself, got the phone call last Friday night telling me the outcome. I do run a go pro 2 also so had video footage to back my claim up. From now on I will be going to the relevant police station and will ask to speak to someone from Highway Patrol.

I have personally had a gutful of P plate drivers, actually any driver, who thinks that just because I am on a bicycle I am then there for their entertainment. I will report anything and everything that I consider dangerous to the police from now on.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:50 am

I think the other issue with such a video when no collision took place is, the risk involved is not something a non-rider can understand, even harder to quantify the circumstance. As a tin can driver, similar occurs all the time. I suspect it's just one of those general attitude thing that these are not their policing priorities. To "help" the police, it may be worthwhile to analyse the video in terms of distances and time gaps. Without those, I doubt most police officers would have the time or interest to spend hours on an incident that didn't lead to any injuries. An unfortunate fact of life.

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:57 pm

I often think about what happened and I am still upset as I rehash. I am flabbergasted as how these bogans learn such behaviour. Is it in the genetic inbreeding, do they get special driving swipe lessons in bogainvillea. Does there father say, “ now come on son lets show you how to swipe a cyclist”, do they train their little inbreed from birth in the bogan baby car seat. Because I tell you it is some skill these little inbreed aps have, this is something they have done often. I could only concentrate on the road and It didn’t even occur to me to take down the car number plate.
From now on Saturdays will only be in a group. On weekdays I drive to National Parks and ride in there. Sundays I start early and bogans are still asleep outside pubs and gutters by the time I ride home.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:16 pm

Apple wrote:I am flabbergasted as how these bogans learn such behaviour. Is it in the genetic inbreeding, do they get special driving swipe lessons in bogainvillea.
it's a different world out there, Apple. while us middle class cyclists are checking our superannuation balances and getting in some early morning exercise, bogans have just quit their job after realising they've had enough of it, just told the repo man that they'll beat his head in if he tries to take their car away, the payments for which is in arrears by 6 months and are sick of all these queue jumpers taking their jobs. they're angry.

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:52 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thank you for making me laugh
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:08 pm

jules21 wrote: while us middle class cyclists are checking our superannuation balances and getting in some early morning exercise, bogans have just quit their job after realising they've had enough of it, just told the repo man that they'll beat his head in if he tries to take their car away, the payments for which is in arrears by 6 months and are sick of all these queue jumpers taking their jobs. they're angry.
I know that was all pretty TIC, but it looses a bit of its humourous touch in Melbourne today :|
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

norbs

Postby norbs » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:34 pm

jules21 wrote:
Apple wrote:I am flabbergasted as how these bogans learn such behaviour. Is it in the genetic inbreeding, do they get special driving swipe lessons in bogainvillea.
it's a different world out there, Apple. while us middle class cyclists are checking our superannuation balances and getting in some early morning exercise, bogans have just quit their job after realising they've had enough of it, just told the repo man that they'll beat his head in if he tries to take their car away, the payments for which is in arrears by 6 months and are sick of all these queue jumpers taking their jobs. they're angry.

Funnily enough, it is the middle upper class blow ins that give me the most grief on the roads down here. Especially at Christmas time. Over sized BMW SUV's that have no idea how to drive on narrow country lane ways and seem to enjoy giving my as little room as possible. I caught one just before new years and when I told the guy and his family that I would appreciate a little more room, I was told to "get off the road, you don't pay tax!"

Maybe everyone should just stay in their little patch of suburbia and leave each other alone.

:roll:

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:49 pm

i also get grief from drivers of 'prestige' cars, many of whom genuinely seem to think they own the road. i don't really favour stereotypes by car brand or type, but mercs and BMWs are an exception from my perspective.
il padrone wrote: I know that was all pretty TIC
yeah, and just to be clear, i wasn't sledging the working classes - the majority of whom are perfectly respectable and safe drivers. but there is an underclass who subsist in society, these are people for whom life is just one crisis to the next - they just generally don't cope. they are often angry and actively seek out targets, such as you mentioned - "out groups". Apple asked what sort of people would go to that sort of trouble to target cyclists - not the "casual" close shave, but the full treatment - slowing down, yelling, throwing stuff - my theory is that it is people who are struggling and it is a 'cry for help' - which often manifests itself in irrational and antisocial behaviour.

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:58 pm

jules21 wrote:- slowing down, yelling, throwing stuff - my theory is that it is people who are struggling and it is a 'cry for help' - which often manifests itself in irrational and antisocial behaviour.
Sorry Jules, but I don't think it's a cry for help, It's pure bogan, passed down the family line.

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:01 pm

norbs wrote:[ I caught one just before new years and when I told the guy and his family that I would appreciate a little more room, I was told to "get off the road, you don't pay tax!"

:roll:
Don't you just hate that TAX statement :evil: That's it I am getting an air gun. :mrgreen: and puting it in my cleavage for easy reach and all cars to see.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:03 pm

Apple wrote:Sorry Jules, but I don't think it's a cry for help, It's pure bogan, passed down the family line.
in my experience, so is subsisting. these are people who were taught to be hopeless by their parents, who were taught by their parents, and so on. they have no experience or role models for functioning properly in society. there are lots of them and they think being miserable is normal. thus, not understanding how sad their behaviour is.

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:13 pm

A lot of stereotyping of so called lower classes here. Where would someone like Eugene Mcgee fit in with all this?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:33 pm

He fits into the "Breathing, walking faeces with money and connections." subgroup.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:01 pm

Since we are analysing them, would some of them fit into the category of bully's, cowardly bully's at that
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:33 pm

jimsheedy wrote:A lot of stereotyping of so called lower classes here.
Particularly in Australia, land of the cashed-up bogan and the educated folk of modest means.
gretaboy wrote:I have personally had a gutful of P plate drivers, actually any driver, who thinks that just because I am on a bicycle I am then there for their entertainment.
It occurs to me that if enough cyclists follow through as you do, eventually the P-plated hoons may start to see us as moving traffic-infringement cameras.

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:41 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Since we are analysing them, would some of them fit into the category of bully's, cowardly bully's at that
correct. They could have killed me, I have a family to look after. these yobbos maybe having fun playing russian roulette with my life, at the end of the day if they kill me, it's 400 dollars fine, right. :evil:
I love riding; it is my relaxation, time out for me. Enjoy the early morning scenery, what a beautiful country we live in, that we can go to National parks in 20km from home, but then we have to deal with brainless Bogans, rich or poor. At the end of the day cyclists are trusting these people behind cars with our lives.
There is no way in the world I would let my children ride a bike the way I do.
I have fear most days when I go out but I keep going out, why? Is it the thrill of danger? Or is it that I like to know that I am burning calories. I often ask myself why I ride. The best answer so far for me, is that I feel like a worrier, I feel free and I possess power that not many women my age have.
Man I am going on, well that’s what happens when you drink half a bottle of veuve, sorry guys, I just had to get it out. :oops:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:57 pm

Don't apologise my friend, reread the redness of your signature. A half bottle of that lovely old lady is fine, a half case is not :wink:

Oh yeah, the answer is simple. You ride because you must. :D

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011