The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby cp123 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:08 pm

CW/Adelaide Ave Southbound, Thursday afternoon last week. After a week of 38 degrees or so days and doing a couple of late shifts, I was dribbing home on Thursday evening. Now I'm not real quick anyway, :P and all the boy racers pass me every morning and every night, but I was probably even more cruisey this night. Anyway, Mr young subcontinent looking lad with the yellow shirt and long black tights on passes me just before the lights near the croquet club in canberra. Trouble is, our lights went red approximately 30 seconds before he got there, but he did a quick scan and took off through the red one anyway.

So i pulled up and waited my turn because i'm not one of "them". :roll: I did happen to notice that ever pedal left he swung his bike 45 degrees left and every pedal right was the same - so he was weaving significantly with every pedal stroke. So finally the lights changed and off i struggle up towards the parliament house tunnel. But as I was around near the Canberra Avenue exit I saw he hadn't actually really gotten too far away from me (I guess its road bike gearing vs Huffy or similar). anyway, so then the chase was on. Well, not really, :lol: but as i got to the downhill bit past the lodge i did start to gain on him. I crossed the killing zone at Hopetoun Circuit and was bearing down on him. he had just crossed the killing zone at the Kent street turn off and was still rocking his bike from side to side madly. But he was travelling right next to the left gutter which is at least a car width or so to the left of the killing zone. So I stayed straight in the green lane and thought beauty, here was the opportunity to pass and get away from him.

So I was approximately 4 foot on his right hand side and in the bike lane (just approaching the cotter road exit). Without so much as a turn of his head he decided to swing right and pull into the green lane so he could go straight over cotter road. in that last nanosecond before i thought i was toast he came in at me from 45 degrees left and i saw and heard loud music blaring from his earplugs. I roared LOOOOOOKOUT and he grabbed his brakes and by a bee's whisker i made it past him. i looked back and went "bloodyellareyoufriggingstupid" or something similar and just shook my head.

he was obviously off with the fairies or didn't think he needed to look. i honestly thought i was going down into the leftmost car lane. and it was seriously damn lucky that i didn't. I'll be more careful next time.
cp123
 
Posts: 1028
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:50 pm

by BNA » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:42 pm

BNA
 

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby gretaboy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:42 pm

cp123 wrote:CW/Adelaide Ave Southbound, Thursday afternoon last week. After a week of 38 degrees or so days and doing a couple of late shifts, I was dribbing home on Thursday evening. Now I'm not real quick anyway, :P and all the boy racers pass me every morning and every night, but I was probably even more cruisey this night. Anyway, Mr young subcontinent looking lad with the yellow shirt and long black tights on passes me just before the lights near the croquet club in canberra. Trouble is, our lights went red approximately 30 seconds before he got there, but he did a quick scan and took off through the red one anyway.

So i pulled up and waited my turn because i'm not one of "them". :roll: I did happen to notice that ever pedal left he swung his bike 45 degrees left and every pedal right was the same - so he was weaving significantly with every pedal stroke. So finally the lights changed and off i struggle up towards the parliament house tunnel. But as I was around near the Canberra Avenue exit I saw he hadn't actually really gotten too far away from me (I guess its road bike gearing vs Huffy or similar). anyway, so then the chase was on. Well, not really, :lol: but as i got to the downhill bit past the lodge i did start to gain on him. I crossed the killing zone at Hopetoun Circuit and was bearing down on him. he had just crossed the killing zone at the Kent street turn off and was still rocking his bike from side to side madly. But he was travelling right next to the left gutter which is at least a car width or so to the left of the killing zone. So I stayed straight in the green lane and thought beauty, here was the opportunity to pass and get away from him.

So I was approximately 4 foot on his right hand side and in the bike lane (just approaching the cotter road exit). Without so much as a turn of his head he decided to swing right and pull into the green lane so he could go straight over cotter road. in that last nanosecond before i thought i was toast he came in at me from 45 degrees left and i saw and heard loud music blaring from his earplugs. I roared LOOOOOOKOUT and he grabbed his brakes and by a bee's whisker i made it past him. i looked back and went "bloodyellareyoufriggingstupid" or something similar and just shook my head.

he was obviously off with the fairies or didn't think he needed to look. i honestly thought i was going down into the leftmost car lane. and it was seriously damn lucky that i didn't. I'll be more careful next time.


On the upside...you got a CCR scalp :mrgreen:
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1210
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Summernight » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:39 pm

The usual silly ped this morning - office worker with her absolutely-to-die-for coffee in hand looks the other way as she briskly steps off the pavement at a non-designated spot, through the Collins street bike path and crosses the road without even looking for cars coming her way, let along bikes (or trams for that matter). Luckily I knew she was going to be an idiot so no near miss, but I did ask her to look next time as I rode past (I've got it down to something manageable to shout ie. "Please look next time"). Although I don't think it got through.

There was also a blind man who stepped out onto the road in front of me at an intersection when the light had already turned green my way but I don't blame him for his mistake as it is probably very hard working out which ped light is making the 'go' sound if you're blind and using a cane. He then stopped in the middle of the lane in confusion (only one lane between the footpath and the centre tram stop). I went round him and the other pedestrians on the footpath herded him back to safety before the cars behind me could hit him.

And I saw a grandmother last week walking her toddler grandchild (he even had a leash!) across the road on the amber/red in Swanston St. The kid couldn't run, he could only waddle precariously whilst holding the woman's hand and here she is stepping out with him on an amber? Crazy. Not surprisingly the light turns green when she is only halfway across and she still proceeds to finish her crossing. Poor child.
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1670
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby cp123 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:57 pm

gretaboy wrote:[

On the upside...you got a CCR scalp :mrgreen:






:lol: :lol:
cp123
 
Posts: 1028
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby fatdudeonabike » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:46 pm

I become more and more convinced that people should be forced to sit a common sense test before getting a bike.
Northborne Ave in Canberra is back to being a disaster this morning - plenty of bikes riding down the side of the road, and I felt good about my newfound consideration for cyclists.

Until one dear friend riding a kmart bmx bike, without a helmet, starts ducking around buses, into traffic - eventually he gets jack of having to dodge buses. So just sits in the middle lane, because the traffic apparently doesnt suck enough already.
So he goes down merrily on his way - without a helmet - for a couple of blocks. Until he needs to turn left (towards the Braddon Maccas for locals) - and just cuts off the left lane, as well as the left-turning slip lane.
I wouldve loved to have gotten out and given him a beating... but there was nowhere to park. Severe lack of consideration for other road users, for other cyclists, and most of all for himself. Idiot.
fatdudeonabike
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:14 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby skull » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:28 pm

fatdudeonabike wrote:- eventually he gets jack of having to dodge buses. So just sits in the middle lane, because the traffic apparently doesnt suck enough already.


He must have been going slow to make a difference as the it is easy enough to keep pace with the sucky Northbourne Ave congestion in the morning.
User avatar
skull
 
Posts: 1682
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:48 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby fatdudeonabike » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:15 pm

skull wrote:
fatdudeonabike wrote:- eventually he gets jack of having to dodge buses. So just sits in the middle lane, because the traffic apparently doesnt suck enough already.


He must have been going slow to make a difference as the it is easy enough to keep pace with the sucky Northbourne Ave congestion in the morning.


He was ducking between cars, getting to the front of the queue, and then holding the lane up when the light went green. Absolute peanut.
You're 100% right of course - in peak hour traffic on Northbourne, the bike lane is faster than the traffic. Its a huge part of the reason that I bought a bike - because the powers that be considered it a brilliant idea to commence roadworks on the second of 3 major thoroughfares from the northern suburbs to the "inner southern" suburbs (anywhere north of Woden really), I've become really envious of those who are riding the 15-20kms to work and getting there quicker than I can drive.
fatdudeonabike
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:14 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby PB12IN » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:15 pm

Dumb cyclist = Me
Out riding with a friend on some country roads out the back of nowhere, he says to me, “Want to try my bike?” me riding a Giant Defy with Sora gears, him having a Lynsky with Ultegra Di2. Says to me “just don’t crash it” I get on and look down to see what is happening with the gears. And veer strait off the road on to the steep gravel shoulder. Thankfully I managed to get back up on the road without falling.
Umm Whoops…
PB12IN
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Gold Coast

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby m@ » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:51 pm

fatdudeonabike wrote:
skull wrote:He must have been going slow to make a difference as the it is easy enough to keep pace with the sucky Northbourne Ave congestion in the morning.

He was ducking between cars, getting to the front of the queue, and then holding the lane up when the light went green. Absolute peanut.

Always guaranteed to see some Darwin Award contenders on Northbourne of a morning... it's almost a sport :lol:
harmonix1234 wrote:Forecast for Hobart next week is rain, sleet, ice and all kinds of hell.
HTFU harmonix.
User avatar
m@
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 4459
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:20 pm
Location: Northlandia

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Howzat » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:04 pm

PB12IN wrote:Dumb cyclist = Me
Out riding with a friend on some country roads out the back of nowhere, he says to me, “Want to try my bike?” me riding a Giant Defy with Sora gears, him having a Lynsky with Ultegra Di2. Says to me “just don’t crash it” I get on and look down to see what is happening with the gears. And veer strait off the road on to the steep gravel shoulder. Thankfully I managed to get back up on the road without falling.
Umm Whoops…

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"...Geez do all titanium bikes have steering problems like that? No wonder they aren't popular. You could have warned me, I could have hurt myself!"
User avatar
Howzat
 
Posts: 539
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:17 pm

PB12IN wrote:Dumb cyclist = my friend
Out riding with a friend on some country roads out the back of nowhere, he says to me, “Want to try my bike?” me riding a Giant Defy with Sora gears, him having a Lynsky with Ultegra Di2. Says to me “just don’t crash it” I get on and look down to see what is happening with the gears. And veer strait off the road on to the steep gravel shoulder. Thankfully I managed to get back up on the road without falling.
Umm Whoops…

Fixed that for you :mrgreen:
Image
User avatar
find_bruce
 
Posts: 3777
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby wexford » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:53 pm

Had a nasty near miss on a group ride this morning. It's been a windy day and a massive gust hit me broadside, nearly resulting in me taking out the guy on my right and potentially everyone behind us. I immediately decided it wasn't my day for fast group riding and dropped to/off the back then went to work (really) early instead.

So on the commute home, with it still blustery, I wasn't happy to discover an uninvited drafter behind me as I was doing around 30kph on a PSP with various peds and cyclists around, and that wind coming from the front/left and causing a few headaches. I'm giving all a wide berth and notice the drafter when I do a head check to make sure nobody's passing me, however unlikely it might be in those conditions. I wave him off and call out "can you back off please" and continue. Shortly after I see he's still there, so I call out "can you either pass me or back off, I don't want you on my wheel". 200m later and he's STILL there, so I pull over and brake. He comes up besides me and asks me what my problem is? What?!

Buddy, I'm not here to give you a free ride and put myself in danger by being unable to safely slow down or do an emergency stop under these conditions!

Damn I hate uninvited drafters...and this one was the worst.
wexford
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:26 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:30 am

Pedestrian with headphones on wandering all over the road (a road, not a path). Road is one way with a high rock face on one side, and a moving van parked on the other side plus a footpath, so only about 2 meters of road space left. Pedestrian almost takes out cyclist in front of me by randomly suddenly angling towards the rock face (maybe he saw a nice rock). You'd think he'd then not walk in the middle of the road and pay a bit more attention. But then he goes left. And then right as I'm approaching.

AZ time 8)

...and he doesn't hear it from 2 feet behind him :shock: After a while something vaguely registers and he turns around to see what that faint noise is. Thing is his headphones weren't even the in-ear type. They were just turned up to the max.

The guys in the moving van jumped out of their skins though...

(I've never AZ'd a pedestrian before. On paths they have right of way and I've never had a problem on the road so far).
Image
User avatar
InTheWoods
 
Posts: 1459
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:34 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jules21 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:52 am

wexford wrote:I wave him off and call out "can you back off please" and continue. Shortly after I see he's still there, so I call out "can you either pass me or back off, I don't want you on my wheel". 200m later and he's STILL there, so I pull over and brake. He comes up besides me and asks me what my problem is? What?!

you're doing it wrong! you start out with the elbow flick, and if that doesn't get a response, you sit up and ask if they're going to work with you. if they still won't work, you ease off and start throwing in attacks to shake them off your wheel :)
Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 8733
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: deep in the pain cave

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Saturnstarzz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:09 am

I agree with Jules, my trick is to slow let them pass and then draft them. 9 times out of 10 whenever the road goes upwards they drop off. :wink:
Image
User avatar
Saturnstarzz
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 9:06 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby westab » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:18 am

jules21 wrote:
wexford wrote:I wave him off and call out "can you back off please" and continue. Shortly after I see he's still there, so I call out "can you either pass me or back off, I don't want you on my wheel". 200m later and he's STILL there, so I pull over and brake. He comes up besides me and asks me what my problem is? What?!

you're doing it wrong! you start out with the elbow flick, and if that doesn't get a response, you sit up and ask if they're going to work with you. if they still won't work, you ease off and start throwing in attacks to shake them off your wheel :)


Jules - you are right again for the quick people. For the slugs like me its the snot rocket, the methane burst, and the zigzag (if safe).
Not fast, no style, but still get there.
westab
 
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:05 pm
Location: Blacktown, NSW

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby cp123 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:13 pm

Melrose Drive northbound this morning in the vicinity of the Lutheran Church at Woden. A almost change my shorts moment.

2 lanes of traffic and me in my bike lane. there were 2 indianey looking dudes standing on the grass ahead of me waiting to cross the road. i could hear the traffic noise behind me quieten as i assume most of the cars had past me already. I'm looking directly at these chaps doing about 30 kmph and suddenly one steps off the gutter right into the bike lane when i was approximately 15 feet in front of him.

"LOOOOKKKOOUTTTTT" I scream and grab my brakes. He casually realises his mistake and steps backwards up to the gutter. I was SOOOOO close to hitting him it wasn't funny and it could've done some serious damage to both of us.


pluck a duck.... :shock: gonna order me some cameras next week i reckon now.
cp123
 
Posts: 1028
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Summernight » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:07 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Pedestrian with headphones on wandering all over the road (a road, not a path). Road is one way with a high rock face on one side, and a moving van parked on the other side plus a footpath, so only about 2 meters of road space left. Pedestrian almost takes out cyclist in front of me by randomly suddenly angling towards the rock face (maybe he saw a nice rock). You'd think he'd then not walk in the middle of the road and pay a bit more attention. But then he goes left. And then right as I'm approaching.

AZ time 8)

...and he doesn't hear it from 2 feet behind him :shock: After a while something vaguely registers and he turns around to see what that faint noise is. Thing is his headphones weren't even the in-ear type. They were just turned up to the max.

The guys in the moving van jumped out of their skins though...

(I've never AZ'd a pedestrian before. On paths they have right of way and I've never had a problem on the road so far).


I don't know if it was an AirZound or something else but a cyclist on the Yarra Trail near the Walmer Street bridge pressed their (what I thought was) an AZ very quickly (less than 0.5 of a second) behind me to give me a friendly warning that he was going to pass me (I was running at the time in the same direction as him and already knew he was coming). It didn't sound that loud but it was audible. Does it take time to warm up to full sound or was it some other type of horn? It was quite a friendly sound and he waved thanks as he went past. I usually keep to the left and move across even further left when I know they're coming but the talk on here about AZs and how loud they are made me think "That wasn't so bad". :lol:
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1670
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:21 pm

Summernight wrote:I don't know if it was an AirZound or something else but a cyclist on the Yarra Trail near the Walmer Street bridge pressed their (what I thought was) an AZ very quickly (less than 0.5 of a second) behind me to give me a friendly warning that he was going to pass me (I was running at the time in the same direction as him and already knew he was coming). It didn't sound that loud but it was audible. Does it take time to warm up to full sound or was it some other type of horn? It was quite a friendly sound and he waved thanks as he went past. I usually keep to the left and move across even further left when I know they're coming but the talk on here about AZs and how loud they are made me think "That wasn't so bad". :lol:


With an AZ you wouldn't have thought that :)

Maybe he only had one of these:
Image
Image
User avatar
InTheWoods
 
Posts: 1459
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:34 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:43 pm

Harbour esplanade about 1050 today, there's this touristy sort of group (can't remember the name :oops: ) trundling along like a bunch of stoned sheep on their fat tyred, suspended eBikes all over the pedestrian area with a perfectly good bike only path not 10 metres east of them, a bike only path that was near filled with peds taking refuge from this group. :roll:

Note, I don't really include the group itself in the dumb category but the uniformed sheep in the lead, well...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25873
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:49 pm

Summernight wrote:Does it take time to warm up to full sound or was it some other type of horn? It was quite a friendly sound and he waved thanks as he went past. I usually keep to the left and move across even further left when I know they're coming but the talk on here about AZs and how loud they are made me think "That wasn't so bad". :lol:


if you just bleep the trigger, you won't get full volume. takes a good press to get it at full volume.

saw a dumb cyclist tonight. he was stopped in the middle of a lane whilst crossing the road looking back at his 3 mates. not moving. car waiting was not impressed. all I could do was shake my head.
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 6064
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:14 pm

Kenzo wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:Before christmas a large plate glass window fell onto the road at an intersection. Still there today. Just broken into small bits (still some large parts) pushed into the pedestrian strip in the median, 20-25m spread out, on top of the median, slowly making its way across into the opposite lanes and now small bits are in the bike lane as my light lit them all up last night. Its a bloody busy intersection too. Yet there's been 2 or 3 street clearners go down my quiet little street in both directions this year. Must be voting time or something :lol:


LukeyBoy - if within BCC boundaries - log it here - https://sde.brisbane.qld.gov.au/service ... aintenance


Lukeyboy wrote:Pretty sure I did on the 3rd or the 4th after I came across it. I'll send it again just incase it was an error on my end. The intersection is Sandgate Road as you turn into Nundah Village.


Rode past a street cleaner along Sandgate Road between Zillmere Road and Beams Road last night. Headed past Nundah this afternoonon Sandgate road....

Image
Image

Bike lane is clean though.
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2304
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:34 am

Silly Cyclist is back ... number 2 is a good one.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jw5OJMpmlI&feature[/youtube]

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20192
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby herzog » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:36 am

Aushiker wrote:Silly Cyclist is back ... number 2 is a good one.


Andrew


Some crackers there. The guy on the Boris bike - wow.

Who'd want to be a truck driver in London.
User avatar
herzog
 
Posts: 1721
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:40 pm

Aushiker wrote:Silly Cyclist is back ... number 2 is a good one.
Andrew


number 3 looks like the brissy river - bicentennial bikeway
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 6064
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AndyRevill, Dimis, find_bruce, holywater, kingswood



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit