Buying Road bike best brand around $1K

Daveinbronte

Buying Road bike best brand around $1K

Postby Daveinbronte » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:55 pm

Hi
After riding Hybrids and mountain bikes for as long as i can remember I am looking to move to a road bike and drop bars. But will commute with it so need lugs for a rack so figure aluminium frame - looking at Merida, Cell (but have read not very flattering things about Cell frames and set-up), Giant and have for a few years loved the look of Felt - Any advice? The Merida on offer has Shimano 105 but all Alloy, Cell has 105 and Carbon Forks and Giant Defy has 105 and alloy Forks. They are all around same price - but appreciate that having it fitted and after sales is important - have good fitting and after sales with Merida dealer - but would like to rule out Felt first - So your ideas - thanks

David

sluggo

Re: Buying Road bike best brand around $1K

Postby sluggo » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:00 pm

Hi David, I have just put an Avanti Giro 3 on layby after riding a hybrid for years. They have a special on at the moment for the tour down under. Price is $1049 and it has 105 and tiagra and alloy frame. Worth a look.

Cheers Bruce

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:51 pm

Make sure you test ride all the brands you are considering to see which one feels best for you. It's more important than price and look. If the bike isn't right for you, you will quickly lose interest.

For the record, I have a Giant Defy 1 and love it.

LM324

Postby LM324 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:44 pm

Which giant defy are you looking at? The one with 105 is around $1500 and has carbon forks. Giants generally are the best value for money.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:49 pm

Looking at entry level road bikes for a mate - and I am liking the Defy1, CAAD8 and Oppy A5.

Very good prices online for the CAAD8 at Bikebug North Sydney - I think you order online and pick up from shop.

Food for thought anyway, I think with these bikes it comes down to comfort/fit and how it appeals to the individual.

Test ride them all and go to an LBS that has time for you and some cool shop rides.

JM