Its TDU 2013 time! Post your TDU sightings, & BS here :)

Dr_Mutley

Its TDU 2013 time! Post your TDU sightings, & BS here :)

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:22 pm

Its TDU in Adelaide time again.... best time of the year to be a cyclist in Adelaide, or Australia.

The majority of the teams are arriving today, althought if you have done some miles on the road around adelaide in the last week or so, u wouldve already seen riders like G from Sky etc out training and doing recon.

Put up your TDU related experiences, and photos here so we can also enjoy whats you have seen or captured...

Stay safe on the roads guys... enjoy the next few weeks to come....

coffeeandwine

Re: Its TDU 2013 time! Post your TDU sightings, & BS here :)

Postby coffeeandwine » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:48 pm

Good timing for this thread, was just about to start another asking for advice.

Have just been given the nod for a last minute visit to TDU (for the first time). I will be there wed 23 (stage 2, Mt Barker-Rostrevor) and Thur 24 (Stage 3, Unley-Stirling).

Looking for suggestions from those in the know on good spots to watch the race. thought perhaps Hahndorf for Stage 2 (might be crowded???) and the loops around Stirling in Stage 3 (the climb up to Aldgate looks interesting). I'll have my car and bike (expect Road closures will be messy, have the list). Are there any other ideas/thoughts? is it easy enough to drive to Stirling and walk/ride to Aldgate? can you get in to Hahndorf?

I will also have my bike so looking for a couple of nice rides (40-50km). Staying in CBD but can always ride after the TDU stage past, any thoughts?

many thanks
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:46 pm

C&W,

Ride out to Stirling, as there is a huge flow of cyclists riding back to the CBD after the stage, most of the Pro's included. Would be great to be apart of.

Stirling for a couple of years we have turned up early and set up camp within the last 100m to the line and waited for them to come though. Last year we did the KOM and then grabbed a spot on the climb up to the finish (as close as we could get parking without wasting time) which worked pretty well and will be better this year as we will also have TV coverage.

As for Harndorf, Take your bike with the car, park somewhere early and then bike it around the towns to the viewing places. Then ride back to the car when your done. To try and park anywhere in the towns as the stages go through it hard work unless your there early.

The places people usually head for are the start, feed zones, sprint zones, KOM and finish. The start and KOM are good places to get freebies from the parade as the parade normally stops at the KOM for a while. The finish has the party and festival.

Plan to head back to the Tour Village each night for a beer and relax.

- David.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:00 pm

I'd try and get a spot on the downhill of Montacute rd on stage 2. That descent will see some insane speeds.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:11 pm

Look out for the organized rides at rapha.cc... Good way to get around in a bunch... They were great in 2012, hopefully they are on again in 2013? Anyone know for sure?

http://www.rapha.cc/tour-down-under-201 ... ?locale=AU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.rapha.cc/tdu-stage-one" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:47 am

Great to see the amount of cyclists, both regular and the not so regular, on my daily Outer Harbour run today... Numbers have suddenly exploded :-)

ChrisDelaneyAU

Postby ChrisDelaneyAU » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:04 am

Hoping there will be a 2013 TDU Passport equivalent..... local riders showing some of us visitors around during the awesome SA countryside and catching some of the race. If anyone knows of something let me know.

In the mean time I've started planning what I think we might do.... Wed Stage, Google Map http://goo.gl/maps/chXp5. Was hoping to see Peleton at Handorf Feed zone, then along Jones Rd somewhere (will we be able to ride through Handorf or are roads completely closed), Ballhannah and then again on the Corkscrew climb.

Are there any locals that could suggest if these roads are a reasonable route choice?

Cheers

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:59 am

I use to be a local and as a result have been putting out a ride guide for th e last couple of years for the http://www.actvets.cc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All the routes are up on http://www.mapmyride.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (jcjordan under id)

Or drop me a PM and I can email you the ride guide.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

ChrisDelaneyAU

Postby ChrisDelaneyAU » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:30 am

Unfortunately I won't be there for it, but Mikael Liddy shared this with me....

http://www.velominati.com/the-cogals/ad ... ogal-2013/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks great

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:08 pm

some good info there guys... thanks :)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:40 pm

Whilst heading up Greenhill Rd yesterday afternoon, Vaconsoleil DCM pulled out in front of me (100m or so).

Obviously were just cruising, as I kept them in sight for a while ... :|

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:49 pm

Hi guys, counting down the days until I arrive down in Adelaide for TDU, can't wait. I seem to recall reading somewhere about some deal where you can pre-book a maxi taxi to get from Adelaide airport to the city. Does anyone have any details about this? Last year when I came down there were ordinary car taxis available but they weren't big enough for bikes and so had to wait about half an hour for a van to turn up.

hybridbellbasket

Postby hybridbellbasket » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:29 pm

Tootling back to the City from the Coast down Grange Road on Saturday I was overtaken by the Liquigas team. They must have been barely ticking over (at 30 km/h) as I stayed with them for a while. Most of those guys are tiny!

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:46 pm

For stage 2 a spot on the Corkscrew Rd climb will be the place to be.

I will be doing the Sunday Velominati ride listed above, may see some of you there?
Certified Brand Snob

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:58 pm

ChrisDelaneyAU wrote:Hoping there will be a 2013 TDU Passport equivalent..... local riders showing some of us visitors around during the awesome SA countryside and catching some of the race. If anyone knows of something let me know.

In the mean time I've started planning what I think we might do.... Wed Stage, Google Map http://goo.gl/maps/chXp5. Was hoping to see Peleton at Handorf Feed zone, then along Jones Rd somewhere (will we be able to ride through Handorf or are roads completely closed), Ballhannah and then again on the Corkscrew climb.

Are there any locals that could suggest if these roads are a reasonable route choice?

Cheers
The tour down under website gives the road closures. Assuming you are driving it may be possible to get from Hahndorf to Corkscrew find a park and a spot but given they are suggesting it will take the riders 1 hr to cover that distance it will be tight I suspect. If you are riding you won't make it I'm afraid. I would just try to see the Corkscrew climb, ride it, then find a good spot. Enjoy!
Certified Brand Snob

jzr

Postby jzr » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:27 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote:If you are riding you won't make it I'm afraid. I would just try to see the Corkscrew climb, ride it, then find a good spot. Enjoy!
Daccordi - I'm still tossing up whether to watch the climb or just cut my losses and head to the finish line to see the last of the descent and hopefully a strong sprint finish. Getting back down Montacute might not be possible for a while? Or would you head over to Marble Hill, down Norton (potentially less congested) or just back down Corkscrew and Gorge?

Found this on the road closures and unsure if that means they'll not let us ride up there?

AT MONTACUTE
CORKSCREW ROAD entire length from Gorge Road to Montacute Road between 0900 hours and 1500 hours

jzr

Postby jzr » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:31 pm

Was heading up Montacute Road on Saturday and saw the Omega-Pharma Quick Step guys cruising down behind their support car. They weren't fanging it, but still looked much quicker than me :)

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:35 pm

Ross wrote:Hi guys, counting down the days until I arrive down in Adelaide for TDU, can't wait. I seem to recall reading somewhere about some deal where you can pre-book a maxi taxi to get from Adelaide airport to the city. Does anyone have any details about this? Last year when I came down there were ordinary car taxis available but they weren't big enough for bikes and so had to wait about half an hour for a van to turn up.
When I went to the TDU a few years ago I used an airport shuttle bus service which had a trailer for luggage (large enough for a bike bag). Drop off was almost next to my hotel in the city.

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:45 pm

jzr wrote:
Daccordi Rider wrote:If you are riding you won't make it I'm afraid. I would just try to see the Corkscrew climb, ride it, then find a good spot. Enjoy!
Daccordi - I'm still tossing up whether to watch the climb or just cut my losses and head to the finish line to see the last of the descent and hopefully a strong sprint finish. Getting back down Montacute might not be possible for a while? Or would you head over to Marble Hill, down Norton (potentially less congested) or just back down Corkscrew and Gorge?

Found this on the road closures and unsure if that means they'll not let us ride up there?

AT MONTACUTE
CORKSCREW ROAD entire length from Gorge Road to Montacute Road between 0900 hours and 1500 hours
That will mean no cars. Depending where you are staying over Marble hill will be the simplest way to the city
Certified Brand Snob

jzr

Postby jzr » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:47 pm

Ross wrote:Hi guys, counting down the days until I arrive down in Adelaide for TDU, can't wait. I seem to recall reading somewhere about some deal where you can pre-book a maxi taxi to get from Adelaide airport to the city. Does anyone have any details about this? Last year when I came down there were ordinary car taxis available but they weren't big enough for bikes and so had to wait about half an hour for a van to turn up.
Don't know of any deals Ross but you could start by giving Adelaide Independent a call: http://www.aitaxis.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They do Maxi's and you can pre-book. Another option, depending on how many of you there are, might be to get a quote for a Des' Minibus - similar sort of thing but they operate on bookings only i.e. not just a taxi service. Unsure of their rates but imagine it would have to be competitive - the Maxi Taxi from the taxi companies from memory is the same fare as a normal car but Des' may be a touch more but it will be a fixed price that they should quote (from my experience with them).

http://www.dessminibus.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:44 pm

Can't help u there either Ross...
If enough of u fly in at the same time I can swing by with the hilux ute :-)

Argos shimano & Vacansoleil rolling round outer harbour ATM...

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:34 pm

A little encouragement to come visit us in Adelaide for the TDU...

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:48 pm

Tomorrow off to pack and Thursday on the kerosene budgie
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:53 am

BMC heading up Kensington Rd at 9.15 this morning. Phillipe must have slept in.
Certified Brand Snob

Trev Campbell

Postby Trev Campbell » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:37 am

Saw GreenEdge at the corner of Glen Osmond and Greenhill Rd at about 8 this morning on my commute to work
Great Jens Voigt Quotes:
"I get paid to hurt other people, how good is that?"
"Shut up legs"