Wheels that don't tick!

AndyRevill

Re: Wheels that don't tick!

Postby AndyRevill » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:35 am

foo on patrol wrote:
AndyRevill wrote: The bloke in the LBS reckoned when people pay more they want more noise - it sounds expensive :roll:
What a first class tool he is, never heard so much BS about a bike before in my life! :?

Foo
He was being very much tongue in cheek while just passing on the way some people think. I'm sure when you run a bike shop you see and hear all sorts.
Trek 1.7 dec.
Trek Domane 4.5

Dave R32

Postby Dave R32 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:30 am

The quietest free hub I have heard is the Ultegra 6700, it is basically silent.

(Note these are the hubs you buy as spare parts, not the hubs which come in the 6700 series wheels, which are a little noisier)

Cheers
Dave.
Avanti Vivace = Sold | Trek Madone = Cracked | '12 Caad10 = Sold | Pinarello SDG3K | '14 Caad10 & Bianchi Pista

kokoman

Postby kokoman » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:06 pm

Have a set of Pro-lite Braccianos, and they are heaps quiet, compared to my previous Mavic CXP22.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:56 pm

kokoman wrote:Have a set of Pro-lite Braccianos, and they are heaps quiet, compared to my previous Mavic CXP22.
When your Bracciano's get louder you just need to take the freehub off, re-grease everything and they'll be all quiet again.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:07 pm

AndyRevill wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:
AndyRevill wrote: The bloke in the LBS reckoned when people pay more they want more noise - it sounds expensive :roll:
What a first class tool he is, never heard so much BS about a bike before in my life! :?

Foo
He was being very much tongue in cheek while just passing on the way some people think. I'm sure when you run a bike shop you see and hear all sorts.
I hope so and yeah you do. I worked in one for a while and you get some wobbly questions thrown at you. :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:09 pm

jacks1071 wrote:
kokoman wrote:Have a set of Pro-lite Braccianos, and they are heaps quiet, compared to my previous Mavic CXP22.
When your Bracciano's get louder you just need to take the freehub off, re-grease everything and they'll be all quiet again.
But is this required? I.e can we use the 'loudness' as a guideline to regressing the freehub or can we continue to ride? My question relates to all wheels I guess, not just your prolites.

Thanks
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:59 pm

NhiTrac wrote:
jacks1071 wrote:
But is this required? I.e can we use the 'loudness' as a guideline to regressing the freehub or can we continue to ride? My question relates to all wheels I guess, not just your prolites.

Thanks
If you freehub from new was pretty quiet and over time get louder than yes, you could definitely use that as a service guideline.

When most people replace the chain (assuming you are changing it at a reasonable service interval) is a pretty good time to service your freehub, jockey wheels, check the bottom bracket etc..
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

sturmey archer

Postby sturmey archer » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:06 pm

swaz wrote:After some wheels that do NOT make the freewheel ratchet sound. The more silent, the better.

Coaster brake hubs - silent freewheel . Probably not really what you're after though :lol:
1.370" x 24 tpi - what sort of stupid standard is that?

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:49 am

Shimano hubs are quiet if that's your thing. I like loud as it's a semi good replacement of a bell on shared path.