Goulburn to Katoomba route advice

Vintagetourer

Goulburn to Katoomba route advice

Postby Vintagetourer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:42 pm

Hi

I am planning a short, fully loaded tour on my Bike Friday i.e. 20" wheeled folder, from Goulburn to Katoomba.
I'll be catching the train to Goulburn from Canberra, and getting back to Canberra from Katoomba by train. Hence the Bike Friday which is easy with trains inc. CountryLink.

From maps the cycling plan is:

Goulburn Taralga Abercrombie N.P. Paling Yards Porters Retreat Oberon Jenolan Caves Hampton Lowther Hartley Blackheath Katoomba

There also looks to a backtrack alternative way from Lowther to Blackheath via a locale called Shipley. This would avoid a section of the Great Western Highway, but the backtrack section may not be rideable on my 20" wheels. The BF is a good touring bike, but it is not a mountain bike.
The question is, does anybody have any experience with this route, or any route between Goulburn and Katoomba?
Any advice on route tricks and traps would be appreciated.

Regards
Graham Smith
Canberra

alchemist

Re: Goulburn to Katoomba route advice

Postby alchemist » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:00 am

I've ridden from Lithgow to Goulburn, via Oberon. It's a nice ride.

The bit between Oberon & Jenolan Caves I've not ridden but the descent down to the Caves on that side is very steep. The climb out on the Northern side of the caves is no where near as steep but does get a lot of traffic, you'd want to be doing that early in the morning.

Not too sure about the roads between Lowther and the Megalong Road, I think they'll be private dirt roads. The 6 Foot track is open to public but it's mountain bike territory

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:36 am

Thanks for this advice. It has me thinking that riding to Lithgow is an alternative to consider.

I am not fond of riding in traffic, so your suggestion of an early start out of Jenolan is a good one if I choose this route.

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:25 pm

It's not a lot of traffic, just a very narrow windy road. Going to Lithgow also avoids going up Victoria Pass

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:39 am

alchemist wrote:It's not a lot of traffic, just a very narrow windy road. Going to Lithgow also avoids going up Victoria Pass
I am not familiar with Victoria Pass. Is is particularly steep, very busy or both?
I don't mind a climb, but will go to some lengths to avoid playing in heavy traffic if there is no good shoulder.

How would Victoria Pass compare to passes like Jamberoo Pass or the Macquarie Pass (for traffic and and ascent) if you happen to know them?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:40 am

I've ridden Cox's river road in 82, it was traffic free. There was some gravel. Whether the gravel is still there, I don't know.

This map shows someone riding from Cox''s river road to Megalong valley. http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/22273304 Most likely done on a mountain bike.

The road from Blackheath to Medlow Bath isn't the best. It can be ridden on a back road (Station st), which is on the other side of the railway track from the Highway. When I rode it in 1990 it was largely gravel.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

marshmallow

Postby marshmallow » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:43 pm

there is a backroad up Victoria Pass via Hartley Vale - I've ridden it quite a lot. Perhaps 1km of dirt, the rest is good bitumen. It's a climb, but quiet. Then onto Darling Causeway and highway to Katoomba, but you could catch train from Mt Victoria if you prefer.

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:51 pm

marshmallow wrote:there is a backroad up Victoria Pass via Hartley Vale - I've ridden it quite a lot. Perhaps 1km of dirt, the rest is good bitumen. It's a climb, but quiet. Then onto Darling Causeway and highway to Katoomba, but you could catch train from Mt Victoria if you prefer.
Thanks ... I'll have a look at this option too on a good map. 'Quiet' is the attractive word.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:16 pm

Scooting down Victoria Pass ... but going west, when I was heading to the Wolgan.

Down the hill is the Abercrombie. A lot further down.

Graham, you're a demon for punishment. Absolutely.

Warren.

PS, I'm slowly moseying up that way in mid March, heading for Aberdeen, on the BNT. One day we will cross paths.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:17 am

I did think of the following the BNT Warren but I don't think the Bike Friday would handle the track sections.