bike shoes for very high instep and wide foot?

sluggo

bike shoes for very high instep and wide foot?

Postby sluggo » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:37 pm

Can anyone recomend a shoe to accommodate a wide foot with a high instep under $200.

Cheers Bruce

Xplora

Re: bike shoes for very high instep and wide foot?

Postby Xplora » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:48 pm

Try a specialized shoe. I am the same profile you describe and I am getting mine on Wednesday!

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:17 pm

Story of my cycling life! Yet to find suitable shoes due to my small wide feet with a high instep. About to drop $300 on some Bont Vaypor wide's. I've got their low end A3's in normal width and they are too narrow so fingers crossed they wide fit the bill. The only other manufacturer I found with good wide shoes is Lake. I have a pair of their wide CX330s at the moment and they are great width and volume but a little too long. Unfortunately I have the smallest size in their wide model so can't find a solution their either :(.

I tried specialized normal shoes are they are too narrow for me. They do a wide model in a few of their shoes but I've never got around to getting a shop to actually order some in for me.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:41 am

I've got a high arch and wide feet. Bonts didn't work for me (2nd toe longer than 1st) Ended up going to the LBS and trying shoes on. I had a higher budget than you tho, I was prepared to lash out upto $400 on shoes when I went in.
Shimano shoes the straps failed to do up even tho the shoe fit. Sales guy sought some help and then brought down a pair of Scott premium road shoes. It has the BOA closure system so accomodates my foot very nicely. I paid $240 for them down from $399
See if you can find a shoe with the BOA closure system
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:05 am

I have a somewhat short/wide/high foot. My current MTB shoes are Carnacs Escapes (which are regularly cheap on T7), and they're actually too wide/tall, which is extremely unusual for me.

I have the ratchet strap done up to the second last click, and the velcro straps are tight to the point that I'm just about trying to stick hooks to hooks. So they might be a good fit on somebody with even more extreme feet.

I believe there are road variants of the same general shape.

tim

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:26 am

The older generation Northwaves, ie the Aerlites were always quite popular with wider feet, and they also had a larger toe box.
The newer generation models tho, ie the Evolution and Extreme Tech have more more of a slim line model, so they may not help.

I've got a wider than average foot and have used the Bont Vaypor and the Specialized S-Works with no real issue.
The LG range are sposed to be pretty decent too.
The other thing you may wanna consider is a different insole. The G8 soles are customisable in the foot arch area and easy to trim and adjust to suit.

If you're in Perth, check out Committed Cycles as they sell the G8 insoles.

EDIT : under $200 rules out the Vaypor and the S-Works tho from memory there's some Bont A2 and A3 on Wiggle going cheap, and I think you can find some LG pretty well priced in Australia too.

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/a ... 606a710396
http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/a ... 788a5b5344
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... source=UQC

G8 insoles

http://www.g8performance.com/
Last edited by MarkG on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

takai

Postby takai » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:09 pm

Definitely look at the G8 insoles, they completely changed my shoes, brilliant pieces of kit.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:20 pm

I took the G8 insoles for a ride in my Scott road shoes, lucky I had taken the stock insoles... Within 6km I was stopping and throwing out the G8 insoles and putting the stock insoles back in. My feet don't like em, suspect it was a callous where I was getting pain where I don't get pain with normal insoles. So that is telling me that G8 insole was putting pressure on it, and looking at them, YEP that is what they are doing.

Edit
OOOH just found Cobra 9 custom cycling orthotics made with carbon fibre

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:54 pm

Baalzamon wrote: See if you can find a shoe with the BOA closure system
Yep this was definitely the key and why I went Specialized. Bontrager shoes with the strap didn't cut it. BOA seems to provide the snug fit. Like it. I'm also going to be using the "highest arch support" that Spesh does. Was good with the lvl 1 support, was GREAT with the lvl 3.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:35 pm

Thanks for the G8 link. Will def give a pair a shot with my Bonts.

sluggo

Postby sluggo » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:02 pm

Thanks for all the repiies, this will be my first pair of bike shoes so I guess I should keep trying until I find some that work. I will check out the shoes recommended. I cant imagine it will be any easier than finding comfy work boots.
cheers Bruce

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:17 pm

I needed a wider fitting and found that Sidi make a wide fitting known as "Mega" (not all styles).

I picked up some Sidi Genius 5 Pro Mega (ratchet closure) and they are brilliant. Tried them on (one thing you can't do on-line) at a large bike shop in Melbourne and bought them there.

Much better fit than my old basic shimano's

If you know your size, wiggle have some on special for $126 but limited sizes.
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

G8Performance

Postby G8Performance » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:45 pm

[quote="Baalzamon"]I took the G8 insoles for a ride in my Scott road shoes, lucky I had taken the stock insoles... Within 6km I was stopping and throwing out the G8 insoles and putting the stock insoles back in. My feet don't like em, suspect it was a callous where I was getting pain where I don't get pain with normal insoles. So that is telling me that G8 insole was putting pressure on it, and looking at them, YEP that is what they are doing.

Baalzamon, would love to know what went wrong with your G8's. Maybe it was the set up. I don't get much negative feedback so would like to have the opportunity to address the issue and have a shot at fixing the problem. If your feet don't work with the G8's this is the info I need for gen II of the product.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:05 pm

oh baby!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 405&type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:34 pm

So glad I haven't ordered the current vaypors yet. Will def be keen to see pricing and availability on the new model. Def perfer a BOA type closure system after having it on my current Lake shoes.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:56 pm

Sluggo,
Initially, find a pair of cycling shoes that fit the dimensions of your feet, ie width and length, comfortably.

U will never address your arch issues with an out of the box shoe... Try some customizable, off the shelf inner soles first, like the G8s. They are relatively cheap, reasonably customizable, and with some trial & error, you should get a pretty good result.

IMO some will not do well with off the shelf version if they have particular pathologies, such as calluses or bunions from previous poor fitting footwear. I'm summizing from baalzamon's post above, a localized callus in a weightbearing position is probably making a "corrective" inner sole difficult, and painful to wear. Without some attention to this pathology (ie debriding) and/or custom inner soles, comfort is always going to be difficult. You may end up only getting a good, corrective, and comfortable result from an expensive, fully custom made inner sole.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:14 pm

HAKS wrote:So glad I haven't ordered the current vaypors yet. Will def be keen to see pricing and availability on the new model. Def perfer a BOA type closure system after having it on my current Lake shoes.
New Vaypor due out March / April, but I'd expect them to be north of $500 again like the Vaypor were when the came out.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:01 pm

MarkG wrote:
HAKS wrote:So glad I haven't ordered the current vaypors yet. Will def be keen to see pricing and availability on the new model. Def perfer a BOA type closure system after having it on my current Lake shoes.
New Vaypor due out March / April, but I'd expect them to be north of $500 again like the Vaypor were when the came out.
Considering how much trouble I've had with shoes i'm more then happy to fork out that amount if it means comfort.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:13 pm

G8Performance wrote:Baalzamon, would love to know what went wrong with your G8's. Maybe it was the set up. I don't get much negative feedback so would like to have the opportunity to address the issue and have a shot at fixing the problem. If your feet don't work with the G8's this is the info I need for gen II of the product.
My feet are too wide for the G8's, and there is an edge pushing up into my foot.
Every foot is different hence I'm most likely resorting to either custom shoes or a custom cycling orthotic.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:38 pm

I've got a trip to the bike shop in order, my Specialized Experts are absolutely killing me. Lateral arch is bad on the right side, big hot numb spot under my left transverse arch. Any advice on how long before shoes "wear in" for cycling? I'm comparing these to Shimmy MT42s :oops: