Very sore perineum skin

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
stinhambo

Re: Very sore perineum skin

Postby stinhambo » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:15 pm

I think you had something with the gripping. I live in a high humidy area so I get that a lot!

I added extra dollops of chamois cream and the rubbing has subsided a bit. I suspect that my knicks might be getting a bit large (not too large though) so some folding of the chamois is occurring.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:31 pm

Fungal?
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:58 pm

twizzle wrote:Fungal?
Doesn't look it as the skin was slightly broken and not fungal looking. I have very sensitive skin as it is.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:14 pm

stinhambo wrote:
twizzle wrote:Fungal?
Doesn't look it as the skin was slightly broken and not fungal looking. I have very sensitive skin as it is.
I ended up up itchy and sore recently after lots of K's in the heat - I initially though it was just a sweat reaction, but in the end canestan cleared it up rapidly.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:15 pm

+ Napisan in the wash when you wash your knicks..........essential in MHO.

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:30 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:+ Napisan in the wash when you wash your knicks..........essential in MHO.
What's that for? Out of interest do you wash your Knicks in net bag?

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:27 pm

While it is generally used to soak clothing to remove stains, and kill bacteria ........doing that can cause problems with fading, but if added to the washing water it still helps to get rid of most bacteria, and most importantly any fungal residue that is on clothes and socks that can reinfect the jock-itch and tinea.

My GLW does all my washing and I have never seen her use a net bag.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:44 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:+ Napisan in the wash when you wash your knicks..........essential in MHO.
I always do... but Nalini for some reason doesn't want the nicks soaked and a normal wash doesn't seem to do the trick. I'm doing soak cycles again now anyway, bugger the instructions.

Sent from my iThingy...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:53 pm

Canestan rinse aid (kills bacteria and fungus) might be another option for me to try.

Sent from my iThingy...

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:13 pm

stinhambo wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:
stinhambo wrote:I'll experiment with positioning first starting by sliding it forward a few mm, perhaps tilt it forward ever so slightly.
One adjustment at a time please or you'll never be sure which is the problem.
I'll set these at forward a few mm then.
Can u work out why the perineal skin is sore? Is it friction? For example excessive movement of the area on the saddle? Is it traction on the skin? For example do u feel ur sliding down the saddle? Or is it localized in a specific area?

When your sitting on a correctly positioned saddle (for u), u should have no movement on the saddle when pedalling, hence no frictional forces to make the skin sore or break it down... If u have tried a few saddles for comfort, then chances are its more your setup & saddle position, rather than the saddle causing the issues. Chamois cream will lessen the effect of any positional issues above, but it's just treating the symptom, not the cause...

For example, in my case I have a shorter R leg. If I ride without correction, I get localized pressure on my right perineum, causing lots of discomfort. When I corrected the LLD, I found I was then getting quite sore on both sides, equally. This was because i was running my saddle a little too nose down, encouraging me to slide forward down the saddle ever so slightly. This traction force, combined with a saddle a few mm too high exacerbated the problem... Now with saddle down, in a flat position, all the load is spread and any soreness is just from sitting too long after a long ride...

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:04 pm

I find that the chamois creases a little and it starts to rub against the inside of my groin towards the back (perineum).

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:10 pm

stinhambo wrote:I find that the chamois creases a little and it starts to rub against the inside of my groin towards the back (perineum).
trial a different chamois, but unilateral chaffing usually signifies some sort of asymmetry in your position bringing one side closer to the edge of the saddle (unless it's both sides?)