$2-$3k opinions on best bike/frame to build up over time

BrisVegas

$2-$3k opinions on best bike/frame to build up over time

Postby BrisVegas » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:07 pm

Hey all, getting in (very) early with the research for a tax cheque spend mid year. Got my weight heading in the right direction and I'm considering upgrading to a fancy shmancy carbon roadie. I'll keep my current alloy bike with Deep V's for commuting and wet weather.

I can't afford to go too crazy (I ride with a group full of Pinarellos and top end Orbeaus etc), but I would like something with a nice light stiff frame, that I can keep for a long time and upgrade with lighter wheels and components into a pretty flash bike, assuming the cycling bug sticks. I don't want a cheap heavy, generic frame with the best components.

A couple of bikes I like the look of:

Boardman SLR 9.0 - wiggle or goldcross http://www.this link is broken/online-stor ... 8083#Cross" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Polygon Helios 800 - http://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/2012-p ... ed-carbon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scott Foil - $2k ish with 105 and cheap wheels
Cannondale CAAD10 - $2k ish with 105 and cheap wheels. $3k with Ultegra and cheap wheels.

I've always liked Cannondale, but never owned one. I sorta like the idea of owning something that not everyone else has. The Boardman looks very cool and I'd be leaning towards that currently, but I'm sure there are lots of other bikes out there I should be considering.

Apologies for this being another one of "those" threads, but it's always good to get other opinions. Thanks in advance. :)
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

jacks1071

Re: $2-$3k opinions on best bike/frame to build up over time

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:11 pm

Thought I'd throw my hat in the ring with one of these:

http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/index.p ... oductId=88" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You could also consider the Cuneo or Cuneo GP models.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:14 pm

Thanks Deon. I'm riding a frame very similar right now actually. I am keen on your Brachiano wheels as an upgrade option down the track.
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

AlMac

Postby AlMac » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:13 pm

If you only wanted a frame, you can get a Felt F1 for $2,900 - assuming the shoe fits.

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:18 pm

FP Quattro's can be had for about 3k. Stuff from Giant would also be a good package. Cycling express offers an Argon 18 for around that price aswell as some of the lower spec BMC's.

It's a bit of an iffy price segment because you're still not repping electronic shifting or even a decent Red/Force package unless you go with something like Azzuri. If I was you, I'd stick to $2-2.2k and spend the rest of the money of wheels like Kysriums. That leaves you with a good range of choices running Ultegra like the CAAD10, drops the weights and get's you some dope rims.

I'm sure there's some Jamis/Felts/Scotts available in there but I can't speak on behalf of those.

TDC

Postby TDC » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:54 pm

Go for the Boardman...all the reviews are very positive for this range. Elegant looking straight tubed no fuss racing bike.

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:18 pm

I stumbled across these the other night http://www.principiaaustralia.com.au/p/ ... -bike.html, maybe just a little out of your price range, but it would be something different, I'd never heard of them till a few days ago.
No signature

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:33 pm

Shpox wrote:FP Quattro's can be had for about 3k. Stuff from Giant would also be a good package. Cycling express offers an Argon 18 for around that price aswell as some of the lower spec BMC's.

It's a bit of an iffy price segment because you're still not repping electronic shifting or even a decent Red/Force package unless you go with something like Azzuri. If I was you, I'd stick to $2-2.2k and spend the rest of the money of wheels like Kysriums. That leaves you with a good range of choices running Ultegra like the CAAD10, drops the weights and get's you some dope rims.

I'm sure there's some Jamis/Felts/Scotts available in there but I can't speak on behalf of those.
Cheers mate, I hadn't considered the Argon 18 stuff. I'll have a read up on them.

I know what you mean about the price range. It seems like you can either get a great frame and cheap everything else or get a cheap frame eg. the Azzuri and get UDi2 or SRAM Red. Can't get everything.

Something like a Scott Foil 40 (105) at $2k looks like a very nice frame and with some nice wheels would be a good package. I don't care too much about the electronic shifting. I've got Ultegra SL now which works beautifully with very little maintenance.

Saw a Boardman Air 9.4 this morning actually. Sex on wheels I reckon. Just something about them.... All their SLR models use the same frame except the 9.8 which has an integrated seatpost.

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:08 pm

A Cannondale CAAD10 while a very nice bike, would not put you into the Carbon League. They are still Alloy but are also a very nice bike.

My CAAD10 Black inc is terrific I moved from carbon to alloy.

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:17 pm

Mrfenejeans wrote:A Cannondale CAAD10 while a very nice bike, would not put you into the Carbon League. They are still Alloy but are also a very nice bike.

My CAAD10 Black inc is terrific I moved from carbon to alloy.
CAAD10 Black is a sweet bike. 8)

22 years ago in high school (I was riding a cromo Ricardo), a fat tubed alloy Cannondale was THE bike to own. Still a very cool bike.

I see Giant is gunning for a piece of Cannondale's alloy race bike pie with their 2013 TCR SL. They reckon it's lighter again.

Dave R32

Postby Dave R32 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:42 pm

Dion,

Cannondale are selling CAAD10 frame sets soon as the demand is so strong. For $3k you could build a SRAM Force or Ultegra equipped CAAD10 with some good handbuilt wheels to suit your size and power and you would have a bullet proof bike.

Cheers
Dave.
Avanti Vivace = Sold | Trek Madone = Cracked | '12 Caad10 = Sold | Pinarello SDG3K | '14 Caad10 & Bianchi Pista

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:55 pm

Dave R32 wrote:Dion,

Cannondale are selling CAAD10 frame sets soon as the demand is so strong. For $3k you could build a SRAM Force or Ultegra equipped CAAD10 with some good handbuilt wheels to suit your size and power and you would have a bullet proof bike.

Cheers
Dave.
Maybe I should just give you my tax cheque and you can sort me out Dave! :wink:

Dave R32

Postby Dave R32 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:07 pm

BrisVegas wrote:
Dave R32 wrote:Dion,

Cheers
Dave.
Maybe I should just give you my tax cheque and you can sort me out Dave! :wink:
Cool ! and Shep can get you some of those bidon cages for special lightweight water !

Cheers
Dave.
Avanti Vivace = Sold | Trek Madone = Cracked | '12 Caad10 = Sold | Pinarello SDG3K | '14 Caad10 & Bianchi Pista

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:13 pm

come to think of it, between you and Shep, there's probably enough parts lying around to build me a pretty nice bike right now.... :!:

Dave R32

Postby Dave R32 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:02 pm

Yep, possibly even 2 !

Cheers
Dave.

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:32 pm

Dave, I see a couple of Titanium bikes in rough price range. Are they worth the effort? I know Shep's had no end of issues with his Lynskey, but presumably that's just a lemon. Are they lighter / stronger than carbon? Van Nichols look ok for $3k ish.

Dave R32

Postby Dave R32 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:15 pm

BrisVegas wrote:Dave, I see a couple of Titanium bikes in rough price range. Are they worth the effort? I know Shep's had no end of issues with his Lynskey, but presumably that's just a lemon. Are they lighter / stronger than carbon? Van Nichols look ok for $3k ish.
Titanium is more impact resistant than carbon, but slightly heavier for the same size tube etc. I don't know much about Van Nichols, will do some research. Moots are very good and I would still buy a Lynskey even knowing Shep's history. I was discussing Steel vs Ti vs Alloy with the guy at Crankstar last week. I think my next bike will be either Ti or Steel.

Cheers
Dave.

btothec

Postby btothec » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:04 pm

I always like having a look on bike exchange to see what frames shops are running out at the time. You can pick up some bargains if your lucky and what they're trying to move on is your size.

Also the same can be said for ebay. That's were I picked up my frame from that I got about a month ago.

This has just popped up on bike exchange and if I didn't have above said frame I would be all over one of them.

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bike_acc ... /102202902

Dave R32

Postby Dave R32 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:53 am

Nice find but way too small for Brisvegas and to big for my wife.

Cheers
Dave.

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:34 am

cheers btothec. I didn't realise you could search for frames on bikeexchange. Could be an option.

Have got approval from the minister of finance for the new wheels at tax time. It's costing me a MacBook Air and an iphone for her. I can live with that. :wink:

btothec

Postby btothec » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:35 am

BrisVegas wrote: Have got approval from the minister of finance for the new wheels at tax time. It's costing me a MacBook Air and an iphone for her. I can live with that. :wink:
Sounds like a fair deal to me. :)

Dave R32

Postby Dave R32 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:36 am

BrisVegas wrote:
Have got approval from the minister of finance for the new wheels at tax time. It's costing me a MacBook Air and an iphone for her. I can live with that. :wink:
Next time ask me for approval, would only of cost you a MacBook Air :D

Cheers
Dave.

btothec

Postby btothec » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:37 am

BrisVegas wrote:cheers btothec. I didn't realise you could search for frames on bikeexchange. Could be an option.
Yeah I only figures it out recently. You go to the accessories tab and then go from there.

antipodean

Postby antipodean » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:03 pm

How about a De Rosa King?

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/torpedo7/cat ... andString=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:19 pm

antipodean wrote:How about a De Rosa King?

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/torpedo7/cat ... andString=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They look very nice, but won't leave me much left for the rest of the bike! Still, it's an option if I can sell my current ride for a few bucks and stretch a bit... Reading that other thread about the Merak, seems the de Rosa is a nice frame. I'd never heard of them til recently and assumed they were another "generic" Chinese frame.