advice on buying a Garmin

DaveOZ

Re: advice on buying a Garmin

Postby DaveOZ » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:12 pm

I'm sure there are loads of 2nd hand Edge 500 out there with the new 510 hitting the market. If it was me I would grab one of those for ~ $100 and be very happy.

simonn

Postby simonn » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:44 pm

stinhambo wrote: I disagree. GPS on the smartphone can be hit and miss and can suck the battery, I've lost a few rides worth of data because Strava stopped while I took a call or took a picture.
That is very phone dependent. I've done quite a few 8-10 hour rides and it has been fine on my Samsung galaxy nexus. Not many people are doing longer rides than that.
stinhambo wrote: Plus I like to glance at my computer to see how I'm doing. And I don't want it getting damaged in the rain.
The OP already has a normal computer (like I did) so can already do this. I mentioned this in a previous post.
All in all I think the 200 is a good purchase.
Unless you want barometric altitude (i.e. gradient) and HRM, which is not something to dismiss as a training tool. If you do not want a training tool and only want to play Strava, a phone will do. I suppose this is my, and I suspect other's, point.

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:46 pm

DaveOZ wrote:I'm sure there are loads of 2nd hand Edge 500 out there with the new 510 hitting the market. If it was me I would grab one of those for ~ $100 and be very happy.
That's a good strategy. The 500 is a really a great bit of kit.

And here's an article that discusses the benefits of using cadence in training . It's an oldy but a goody

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:14 pm

simonn wrote:
stinhambo wrote: I disagree. GPS on the smartphone can be hit and miss and can suck the battery, I've lost a few rides worth of data because Strava stopped while I took a call or took a picture.
That is very phone dependent. I've done quite a few 8-10 hour rides and it has been fine on my Samsung galaxy nexus. Not many people are doing longer rides than that.
stinhambo wrote: Plus I like to glance at my computer to see how I'm doing. And I don't want it getting damaged in the rain.
The OP already has a normal computer (like I did) so can already do this. I mentioned this in a previous post.
All in all I think the 200 is a good purchase.
Unless you want barometric altitude (i.e. gradient) and HRM, which is not something to dismiss as a training tool. If you do not want a training tool and only want to play Strava, a phone will do. I suppose this is my, and I suspect other's, point.
My point is that a phone can be unreliable. I'd rather keep it tucked up in my shirt pocket in a waterproof bag and not have to use it during my ride.

I'm not bagging the 500 by the way, I suspect I'll upgrade to one by the end of the year but for those getting into cycling, it's a good investment as there's no setup and it can be resold so it will likely cost you about $40 over the course of a year or you can just give it to a family member.

simonn

Postby simonn » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:26 pm

stinhambo wrote: My point is that a phone can be unreliable. I'd rather keep it tucked up in my shirt pocket in a waterproof bag and not have to use it during my ride.
Depends on the phone and garmins can at times too. I used to keep my phone exactly like that before I got the garmin. It does not stop you from being able to use Strava either.

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:15 pm

I just bought an Edge 500 red bundle from Wiggle. The main reason I chose it over the 200 is the barometric altimeter and the speed/cadence sensor it comes with. A GPS can have trouble with tight twisty mountain biking meaning a speed sensor will be needed, seeing as the basic edge 500 is $60 less than the bundle, a speed sensor is $50 on its own, getting the bundle means I get a (premium) HR monitor for $10 more. I generally don't like to keep an eye on my heartrate when I'm riding but I would probably use it if I can see a record of my heartrate later. The reconfigurable display is a better idea as there are quite a few things I don't like to see when I'm riding as I find them too distracting, such as average speed. The Edge 200 is just limited and inflexible.
No signature

uglybob

Postby uglybob » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:27 pm

i own a 500, and do wish i had spent the extra coin for an 800 at times - purely for my mountain bike riding. the 500 is fine for on the road - i know where i'm going, so all the readouts etc are fine, but if i'm trying to explore new trails on the MTB, the 500 just doesn't cut it for mapping purposes, far too hard to try & follow when you're trying to find 40cm-wide trails coming off fireroads.

horses for courses i suppose!

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:29 pm

I'm not saying this particular post is a pissing contest at all...but the sport/hobby in general is worse than golf!

Many of people's forum comments are obviously their opinions and that's totally fine but when that opinion is tarred with 'the marketing brush' it's pretty worthless!

Maybe I'm just annoyed with myself for getting sucked in to it all, but now I have a CF bike and Garmin 800 I don't use because 'someone' told me it was pointless getting anything less!
Never underestimate the power of ignorance

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:55 pm

I was thinking about getting the 800 for MTBing but I do orienteering and wouldn't be able to use it due to its mapping function, I can see the 800 would be good for exploration.
No signature

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:56 pm

The Walrus wrote:Maybe I'm just annoyed with myself for getting sucked in to it all, but now I have a CF bike and Garmin 800 I don't use because 'someone' told me it was pointless getting anything less!
how about this: I'll send you a garmin edge 500, and you can send me a garmin edge 800. I'll even pay postage both ways.

simonn

Postby simonn » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:02 pm

jasonc wrote:
The Walrus wrote:Maybe I'm just annoyed with myself for getting sucked in to it all, but now I have a CF bike and Garmin 800 I don't use because 'someone' told me it was pointless getting anything less!
how about this: I'll send you a garmin edge 500, and you can send me a garmin edge 800. I'll even pay postage both ways.
I'll swap my ali/CF bicycle for your CF one if you want as well? :lol: :P

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:07 pm

simonn wrote:
jasonc wrote:
I'll swap my ali/CF bicycle for your CF one if you want as well? :lol: :P
damn it. should have offerred him a package deal. I've got a nice and comfy flat bar I could swap for a CR roadie.

zzkazu

Postby zzkazu » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:25 pm

You can get the Garmin Edge 500 bundle for Australia for $275.

http://blackmanbicycles.com.au/shop/gar ... hr-monitor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's what I ordered this morning.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:04 pm

You can get a mophie battery for your iPhone for $80... your still going to take a phone on most rides anyway.

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:06 pm

I'm still happy with my purchase but if I had the extra $200 I would definitely go with a 500/510.

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:47 pm

I've done a hell of a lot of research on these units in the last couple of days.

If budget isnt an issue, the Garmin 910xt looks the best thing on the market.
The Garmin 200, honestly, looks like a relic compared to whats current available.

It's not going to do that much more than what you Cateye already does - personally, theres no way in the world I'd bother with the 200. The Cateye has served you well - it wont hurt to extend its lifespan and get the 500. Which, if youre using for training or if, like me, you're a bit of a geek - contains endless information to help you improve. $329 was the best Australian price I found at Pushys - but these don't really seem to have come down too much since the 510 was released. The other benefit of holding off a couple of weeks is that they might get a touch cheaper.

Personally - I'm saving my beans for the 910xt.

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:08 pm

OK - now I'm definitely going to say to get the 500.

This is a fricken steal:

http://www.thebikebarn.com.au/product.p ... t=0&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:59 am

fatdudeonabike wrote:OK - now I'm definitely going to say to get the 500.

This is a fricken steal:

http://www.thebikebarn.com.au/product.p ... t=0&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I agree, well spotted :!:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:05 am

Don't you hate it when you just bought something from overseas and it turns out you could have bought it for not much more locally, sort of, Parramatta isn't exactly local for me.
No signature

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:25 am

wow, this thread got busy over the last 24hrs!!
I'm gonna have to read everyone's 2c worth carefully, you guys all sound like you know what you're talking about, and again - I am very appreciative of the input.
I gotta head to work now, but I'll read up tonight, I do want to buy within the next few days, so I'll be taking it all on board.

Thanks again everyone.
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels"

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:32 am

Bentnose wrote:Don't you hate it when you just bought something from overseas and it turns out you could have bought it for not much more locally, sort of, Parramatta isn't exactly local for me.
Yes. That happened when I bought my 800. Was ~$250 cheaper from c r c. About a week after it arrived I could have got it for only $50 more from a shop in Oz. Then again it was still cheaper. The garmin distributor(s) need to lift their game and support their customers (LBSs) by sorting out the timing of discounts due to new ranges being released.

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:23 pm

stinhambo wrote:
jasonc wrote:
stinhambo wrote: The 500 does not cost $200 or less, they are advertised at $300+ for all the HR and Cadence sensors - http://www.this link is broken/Garmin-500- ... ory=150339" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wiggle have them for $260
With no Australian warranty.
Have you ever tried to deal with garmin Australia in regards to wrnty ? They are useless I think you would be better off buying from overseas. I like my 800 but support and back up are crap, buy a premium hr strap and see how far you get when it fails and it will!! If you live in America its a different story.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:31 pm

Marty Moose wrote: Have you ever tried to deal with garmin Australia in regards to wrnty ? They are useless I think you would be better off buying from overseas. I like my 800 but support and back up are crap, buy a premium hr strap and see how far you get when it fails and it will!! If you live in America its a different story.

Why are you dealing with Garmin directly? Take it back to the store in question and get another one. Let them deal with Garmin.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:39 pm

__PG__ wrote:
Marty Moose wrote: Have you ever tried to deal with garmin Australia in regards to wrnty ? They are useless I think you would be better off buying from overseas. I like my 800 but support and back up are crap, buy a premium hr strap and see how far you get when it fails and it will!! If you live in America its a different story.

Why are you dealing with Garmin directly? Take it back to the store in question and get another one. Let them deal with Garmin.
The procedure for a failed premium heart strap a known useless product was to send the whole unit through the local shop back to Garmin. This would take up to three weeks I was told, in the US a strap would have just been handed over. Then there was the gps issue on connect that went on for months, strava had the same issue and fixed out in days.

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:51 pm

Has the OP considered a Bryton?