Mount St Overpass

jlh

Re: Mount St Overpass

Postby jlh » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:35 am

wellington_street wrote:I have always wondered why those temporary fencing footings are installed perpendicular to the fence. They are a massive trip hazard when used adjacent to the footpath, especially one that is narrowed. can't understand why they aren't rotated 90 degrees to be parallel to the fence - they are still perfectly functional that way.
I think they provide a bit more resistance to any wind in the perpendicular orientation.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:29 am

jasonlheath wrote:
wellington_street wrote:I have always wondered why those temporary fencing footings are installed perpendicular to the fence. They are a massive trip hazard when used adjacent to the footpath, especially one that is narrowed. can't understand why they aren't rotated 90 degrees to be parallel to the fence - they are still perfectly functional that way.
I think they provide a bit more resistance to any wind in the perpendicular orientation.
Good point. I wonder if the trip hazard has even been recognised though as part of risk assessments?

fixed

Postby fixed » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:52 pm

I spotted Ed Rose from Department of Transport out at this location WITH A tape measure. As a result the fence was quickly moved back off the PSP.
Well done for reporting the fault, and well done Ed for following up and ensuring the private developer was brought back into compliance.
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

Karati

Postby Karati » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:22 pm

The intersecting path from the overpass onto the main path heading down towards the narrows is still super dangerous though. Even a mirror mounted on a pole on the freeway side guard rail would help people joining get out safely and keep people coming down safer.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:56 am

Karati wrote:The intersecting path from the overpass onto the main path heading down towards the narrows is still super dangerous though. Even a mirror mounted on a pole on the freeway side guard rail would help people joining get out safely and keep people coming down safer.
Great minds think alike. Mirror suggested when the area was first closed off, unfortunately suggestion not acted upon at this time.

dampier

Postby dampier » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:30 pm

As I was riding through this section today, I noticed a big crack in the bitumen, opposite the screened fence. I do not recall seeing this before (I ride this section almost daily) and could not see it on the photos in this post.
If anyone goes past, can they check it out. It could be due to subsidence from the construction next door.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:49 pm

Likewise I noticed it yesterday coinciding with the excavation and retaining done.

Hard to avoid in the moment it is dug away before retainer is placed, it is weakened.

Council (edit, main roads) requires construction insurance to cover damage like this, and they should have surveyed the condition prior.
Last edited by eldavo on Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:00 pm

I sent off the below image to Main Roads on Thursday night requesting them to revisit this location. I wanted someone in the photo, to show how close we are now riding to those cones, as well as we are now drifting more over to the middle to avoid then.

General comment, slow down if you use this location as this is very poor condition at the moment.

BrownBike
Location: Perth - Looking for a north-south route across the CBD

Postby BrownBike » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:22 am

http://www.oneperth.com.au/2013/02/11/c ... cling-ban/

"A Perth council committee has refused to endorse the end of a ban on cyclists using the Mount Street Overpass – even though the ban is rarely observed and the city itself has nominated the route as a major cycle link to the CBD."

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:18 am

Well written council paper - http://perth.wa.gov.au/documentdb/3429.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can't work out why it wasn't moved at the committee meeting except it shows that the council isn't committed to the city of perth bike plan which has been approved and needs to be auctioned.

Thanks for passing on the link.

Ps saw that crack in the psp. Will post photo later.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:16 am

At least the area has been swept and the cones are no longer there, but that is a big crack.

stealthbike

Postby stealthbike » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:09 pm

Take care today. The fence and cones are crossing almost to the centre line. :(
2010 Specialized Roubaix Elite - Black
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results" - Winston Churchill

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:30 pm

Can confirm the location of the fence this morning. Reported again to MainRoads, who responded it is the City of Perth.

The worst bit though was the trip home:

Someone (or the developers) have written 1/2 path closed. The photo potentially doesn't show it, but there are now those orange things on both sides of the PSP so both directions are effected with no-one getting right of way as far as I'm aware.

Very poor.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:28 pm

Shaping up like the City of Stirling travelling circus water hose saga thread, except Halo on Mount is cocking up in a much more dangerous higher traffic area. Laughable til someone gets bitten and its too late.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:21 am

That is ridiculous. Close half the path and I know what that downhill is like... Where are the traffic marshals to stop start cyclists/pedestrians
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:28 am

eldavo wrote:Shaping up like the City of Stirling travelling circus water hose saga thread, except Halo on Mount is cocking up in a much more dangerous higher traffic area. Laughable til someone gets bitten and its too late.
It is more like the Princeton Estate closure. That one lasted almost a year.

Unfortunately this is the second half-path closure, on the northern section, the other at Market St. Nothing like climbing under trees and navigating around these obstructions to keep the heart pumping.

roller

Postby roller » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:31 pm

Baalzamon wrote:That is ridiculous. Close half the path and I know what that downhill is like... Where are the traffic marshals to stop start cyclists/pedestrians
exactly!

would love to see them try this on a major road and see how long til there was a multi-car pile up.

view from up top:

inflammatory statement or idea

Rusty6149

Postby Rusty6149 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:25 pm

Just when I thought it couldn't get any more dangerous..

They either need to close the path, and divert (though who knows where to.. not many options.. maybe over the footbridge and down Spring street), or have traffic controllers at both ends.

Rusty

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:45 pm

I tried to peak why the barrier island on the left was there, couldn't tell by passing slowly, and not game to stop =P

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:08 pm

If that setup is like that next thursday and no one has yet shown why that 2nd barrier on the left coming down the hill is there, I'll be pulling over and getting my gopro to show what it's doing
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

redned

Postby redned » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:37 pm

They probably reckon that by creating a chicane it works as a traffic calming device, when it actually creates two dangerous spots instead of one.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:10 pm

The chicanes work on Milligan Street bridge. Maybe not at this location given the different environment. It all comes down to behaviour. Ride safe.

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:02 pm

We did some phoning around, and according to a normally well informed source a section of the path actually disappeard. Massive structural issues.

Mainroads apparently were on site this morning, and closing the path was discussed, but opposed by Mainroads (lack of alternative routes).

Instead they are tying to fix the path in the next few days, perhaps by Thursday, but before the weekend, and hope that all the signage and chicanes etc will slow people to a safe speed.

I think there is also talk about having traffic management during peak times.

It appears that some people were very active at raising the issue ......
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

roller

Postby roller » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:28 pm

"FOOTPATH CLOSED" has now been replaced by "CYCLISTS DISMOUNT"

that should fix everything.

i chuckle to myself thinking if the same sort of slap-dash, couldn't care less attitude was applied to roadworks somewhere and there was a sign telling drivers to

"GET OUT AND PUSH YOUR CAR"
inflammatory statement or idea

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:41 pm

roller wrote:"FOOTPATH CLOSED" has now been replaced by "CYCLISTS DISMOUNT"

that should fix everything.
"
This is a tricky spot, and was difficult at the best of times. Would it have been better, in your opinion, to close the path for a few days?
Support high quality cycling advocacy!