Anyone purchased a road bike from Wiggle?

fumbi

Anyone purchased a road bike from Wiggle?

Postby fumbi » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:34 pm

Have any of experience with purchasing a complete road bike from Wiggle (UK)?

gabrielle260

Re: Anyone purchased a road bike from Wiggle?

Postby gabrielle260 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:13 pm

Just bought the Ribble Sportive and really happy with it. Got frame and I moved parts over to do the build.
Andrew

nescius

Postby nescius » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:53 am

I bought a Look 695 SR ipack from wiggle, saved myself about $2,500 - $3,000. The bike arrived almost fully assembled, all I had to do was attach the rear derailleur, attach handlebars, cut the seatpost to the correct length and install the saddle and pedals. All cabling etc. was already done and it looked like a good job. They send some cheapo tools to help you finish assembling the bike, allen keys, pedal spanner etc.

When you buy a bike from Wiggle you get a free service (inside the first two months) from a local Wiggle service partner. I didn't bother because I usually look after most of my own servicing.

I've had no trouble at all with the bike and I was very happy with the build and delivery times, I think it was about two weeks from order to delivery.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:17 am

I bought a Charge single speed from Wiggle. It arrived well packed and with very little assembly needed - just inserting seat post and attaching the wheels, from memory. I've also bought a Genesis road bike from Tweeks and had a similarly satisfactory experience (and love the bike).
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:39 am

a mate bought 2 (!) boardmans. happy with both. almost bought one myself.

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:49 am

Only problem is, From memory isn't shipping around $200?

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:14 am

jasonc wrote:a mate bought 2 (!) boardmans. happy with both. almost bought one myself.
Wow! One wasn't an Air 9.4 was it? Saw one at Milton's coffee shop yesterday after a river loop. I want one so bad!
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

fumbi

Postby fumbi » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:22 am

Thanks for all your comments on this topic. Seems like a good idea to get a bike from Wiggle. I have no wiggle contracted bike shop nearby but my local LBS offers a good service. In my case, I would save $1,000 for a 2012 Focus. Shipping is around $140. Did you have to pay import duty?

nescius

Postby nescius » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:27 am

mattwilkinson wrote:Only problem is, From memory isn't shipping around $200?
True, bikes don't get free delivery, I just checked my order history and I paid $144.43 at the end of September last year.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

totesgrey

Postby totesgrey » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:29 am

I've thought of doing it as well.. According to Wiggle site these are the charges (http://www.this link is broken/h/option/international#aus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

"Import duties: Our understanding is that bikes, frames and forks, over AUD$1,000 are subject to 10% GST chargeable on the total consignment cost (goods value, shipping and duty). In addition to this there is normally an import processing fee for consignments over AUD$1000 (which is normally just under $50). For example a product over $1,000 - e.g. a $1500 bike with a $150 delivery charge may attract $165 GST, 10% of the total $1,650 upon arrival into Australia. Most other items, including wheels, parts and accessories remain free of any import duties."

Not sure how painful the whole process it is dealing with customs. Anyone have any feed back on this?

nescius

Postby nescius » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:52 am

fumbi wrote:Thanks for all your comments on this topic. Seems like a good idea to get a bike from Wiggle. I have no wiggle contracted bike shop nearby but my local LBS offers a good service. In my case, I would save $1,000 for a 2012 Focus. Shipping is around $140. Did you have to pay import duty?
If the total value is over $1,000 then you will likely get hit with GST and import duty. The GST is easy - 10%, but the import duty is weird, sometimes you seem to pay lots and sometimes not. I think I only had to pay $0.05 in duty, but I had budgeted 5%. Mind you I have had orders over $1,000 where I wasn't charged GST either so you might get lucky? Anyway, even with GST and duty I was still thousands of dollars ahead of buying locally.

Customs.gov.au will tell you what you will theoretically be paying.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:07 am

BrisVegas wrote:
jasonc wrote:a mate bought 2 (!) boardmans. happy with both. almost bought one myself.
Wow! One wasn't an Air 9.4 was it? Saw one at Milton's coffee shop yesterday after a river loop. I want one so bad!
pm'd

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:41 pm

I bought a Boardman CX Comp. No problems.

If you know what size you are and how to put a bike together (or are prepared to learn/teach yourself), go for it.

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:42 pm

nescius wrote:
fumbi wrote:Thanks for all your comments on this topic. Seems like a good idea to get a bike from Wiggle. I have no wiggle contracted bike shop nearby but my local LBS offers a good service. In my case, I would save $1,000 for a 2012 Focus. Shipping is around $140. Did you have to pay import duty?
If the total value is over $1,000 then you will likely get hit with GST and import duty. The GST is easy - 10%, but the import duty is weird, sometimes you seem to pay lots and sometimes not. I think I only had to pay $0.05 in duty, but I had budgeted 5%. Mind you I have had orders over $1,000 where I wasn't charged GST either so you might get lucky? Anyway, even with GST and duty I was still thousands of dollars ahead of buying locally.

Customs.gov.au will tell you what you will theoretically be paying.
Or....

http://www.bicycles.net.au/2010/08/ulti ... as-orders/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:10 pm

Has anyone here bought from this link is broken.au yet? If so, did you have to pay any duty, etc on the bike at all if it was over $1000, considering that the bikes should have already been imported and are just sitting in their warehouse (wherever that is) in Australia?

fumbi

Postby fumbi » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:42 pm

Their warehouse is in the UK. Perhaps their Aussie site is just to attract the Aussie market (it's working... :) ).
http://www.this link is broken.au/h/option/international#aus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By the looks of it there is no way around the duty unless they could be convinced to ship unassembled and call it "bike parts".

LM324

Postby LM324 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:14 pm

Apart from extra costs involved in buying a bike online from overseas, it would be a pain if anything goes wrong or if you need to claim warranty

toofat

Postby toofat » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:57 pm

Philipthelam wrote:Apart from extra costs involved in buying a bike online from overseas, it would be a pain if anything goes wrong or if you need to claim warranty
In the final sums there are no extra costs in buying a bike online from overseas only extra savings
Its more of a pain to get cycles or parts from the east to perth than it is from uk
If there is a fault on the frame i post it back if its warranty the postage is refunded a small inconvenience for the $3000 saved

LM324

Postby LM324 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:56 pm

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 93#p898393" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:07 pm

Philipthelam wrote:Apart from extra costs involved in buying a bike online from overseas, it would be a pain if anything goes wrong or if you need to claim warranty
ORLY?

http://www.this link is broken/h/option/Return ... ausreturns" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.this link is broken/sc/service-point" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LM324

Postby LM324 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:44 pm

I know right! Having to box up, send a bike through the post, wait until it arrives in UK and then wait even longer for processing and delivery sure beats returning your bike to your LBS and having it replaced quickly :roll:

And FYI
wiggle bike return webpage wrote: Your bike is covered by the wiggle guarantee and the respective manufacturer’s warranty, please contact us for details. If your bike develops a fault within the warranty period please contact us at workshop@this link is broken before returning the bike or any of it’s components as problems can often be resolved without any postage costs being incurred.If it is necessary to return the bike or any components you will need to cover the postage cost.
A service point is exactly what it is, a service point. They are not owned by wiggle. They simply provide you with a place to get a free first service and
The service points will not deal with any Australian warranty issues
Why not just get a bike from your LBS? You get to test ride it before you buy. Any question about the bike will (mostly) be answered. And if your nice (and the sales person is nice as well) you can probably get a discount and get some freebies. Any that's just my opinion...

rjk

Postby rjk » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:24 am

1 boardman CX pro here i was very happy with the whole process.

I had the delivery company ring me up and tell me the extra for the gst and duty, paid over the phone by credit card, bike was delivered the next day :)
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane

ray

Postby ray » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:47 am

rjk wrote:1 boardman CX pro here i was very happy with the whole process.

I had the delivery company ring me up and tell me the extra for the gst and duty, paid over the phone by credit card, bike was delivered the next day :)
On a side note guys, probably old news is that Goldcross now stock Boardman bikes http://www.this link is broken/boardman.aspx.

toofat

Postby toofat » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:05 pm

Philipthelam wrote:I know right! Having to box up, send a bike through the post, wait until it arrives in UK and then wait even longer for processing and delivery sure beats returning your bike to your LBS and having it replaced quickly :roll:

And FYI
wiggle bike return webpage wrote: Your bike is covered by the wiggle guarantee and the respective manufacturer’s warranty, please contact us for details. If your bike develops a fault within the warranty period please contact us at workshop@this link is broken before returning the bike or any of it’s components as problems can often be resolved without any postage costs being incurred.If it is necessary to return the bike or any components you will need to cover the postage cost.
A service point is exactly what it is, a service point. They are not owned by wiggle. They simply provide you with a place to get a free first service and
The service points will not deal with any Australian warranty issues
Why not just get a bike from your LBS? You get to test ride it before you buy. Any question about the bike will (mostly) be answered. And if your nice (and the sales person is nice as well) you can probably get a discount and get some freebies. Any that's just my opinion...
Thats fine if you ride a giant or avanti your lbs may have a replacement in your size model and colour
For my choice (look) there were none in perth none at any other lbs in australia and an order would have to come from france
Took 7 days to arrive at the door thats 3 weeks quicker than ordering via the lbs
Whilst wiggle charge for return warranty others do not

fumbi

Postby fumbi » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:33 pm

Definitely better to go with LBS in regards to service and possibly warranty, but pricing is simply often not competitive especially for smaller towns. My LBS knocked $90 off the list price of $3000... next dealer is 250km away. I would have loved to give him the business but if I save even $600 (after duty, tax and whatnot), I can get a lot of servicing and adjustments for that. I was lucky, they had the bike there for me to test ride. Would never buy online without test riding somewhere.