Sometimes
9%
Never
7%
Would if I could
0%

Total votes: 259
Aushiker

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:12 am

RonK wrote:
human909 wrote:This discussion arose because some people brought up that Lycra and the image of Lycra cycling does put off some people from cycling. Continued discussion occurred because some people denied this reality.
Well actually, it arose because you continue to push your personal bias, which is plain to see not only in this thread but also several other threads where you make your disdain for those who wear lycra quite apparent.

Now you are shifting your ground because you have next to no support, and are trying to recast your position to claim that it puts other people off cycling.

But there are plenty here who, like myself, realise that it's all about your personal prejudices.
At last ... someone saying what needs to be said.

Andrew

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:29 am

AUbicycles wrote:Show of hands, who goes grocery shopping in Lycra?
Totes. If I happen to be wearing Lycra and I happen to need groceries, that's what I do.

newie

Postby newie » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:52 am

il padrone wrote:
newie wrote:I have never bothered to change into lycra kit for short (< 5km) trips and I would be suprised if there are many cyclists out there who would. So really what you are saying I should do differently is engage in more short trips by bike myself and encourage other to do so too. This is totally irrelevant to clothing choice. I am still failing to see the point.
Well, maybe try riding to work in casual or work clothing?? It's only 10kms after all. You asked the question, I was just giving you some ideas. If you don't want it, fine, just go on riding in lycra.

I'm really not going to get into an argument with you about this :|
ip, I don't really think we are arguing.
Neither of us are really concerned about what other people wear.
Both of us think more people cycling would be good.
My original question was motivated by the fact I couldn't see the point of how some people might be put off by the lycra image was at all relevant to my choice of cycling clothes.
I don't think the suggestions you made were about clothing choice, even though I agree that as individuals encouraging our friends to cycle (in a friendly, non-evangelical manner) is a good thing.
But, sure, if more people were making short trips by bike, the proportion of lycra wearers might go down.

As for my choice to (mostly) wear lycra when I do my short commute, work clothes are not an option for me. I have worn other non-cycling clothes many times, which is how I know I find knicks more comfortable. Many days I add on some extra miles or hill repeats anyway and sometimes the decision of what ride I will be doing occurs after I have left the house. So I don't even think about it in the mornings - just pull on the knicks and go. (BTW I am not arguing against you here - just telling anyone who may be interested in my reasons).

I suspect my path to a predominantly lycra wearer was similar to many people. As an occasional short-distance rider I just wore whatever and had no intention of getting some of those "funny shorts". But then I got a bit more serious, started to do some longer rides. From talking to people and reading forums such as this, it seemed that lots of people recommended them for longer rides. So once my rides started to get up around the 40-50km mark, I felt I needed to test out that option. Off to the LBS to try on and buy a pair. Well, the first ride in my new knicks - wow - all those people were right. So I kept an eye out for specials and a couple more pairs ended up in the drawer. I was still riding normal clothes for the short commute and knicks only for the longer rides. But then some of my rides started getting up round the 150km+ length. It was time to revisit the LBS. A change of saddle and some better fitting, quality knicks and I was back to blissful comfort for rides of any duration. Then those super comfy knicks were on a big special so an extra couple of pairs ended up in the drawer. Now I had a draw full of those funny shorts - one for every day of the week. So why not wear them and be extra comfortable, even on the commute? As for cycling tops, again, I had no intention of going down that path. But then I was struggling to find room in the saddle bag to take all the stuff I needed on longer rides. I don't like backpacks and my new roadie couldn't take panniers. Gee - people are right, those back pockets really are handy. So I invested in a couple of cheapies. A few cycling events with free jerseys - what do you know - now I have a drawer full of the things. And here I am, a fully fledged lycra lout..... if you told me a few years ago that this is where I would be, I wouldn't have believed you.

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:17 am

newie wrote:Well, the first ride in my new knicks - wow - all those people were right.
Don't be silly, lycra is a fashion statement! I only wear mine to be part of the scene, man! /s

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:28 am

Aushiker wrote:
RonK wrote:
human909 wrote:This discussion arose because some people brought up that Lycra and the image of Lycra cycling does put off some people from cycling. Continued discussion occurred because some people denied this reality.
Well actually, it arose because you continue to push your personal bias, which is plain to see not only in this thread but also several other threads where you make your disdain for those who wear lycra quite apparent.

Now you are shifting your ground because you have next to no support, and are trying to recast your position to claim that it puts other people off cycling.

But there are plenty here who, like myself, realise that it's all about your personal prejudices.
At last ... someone saying what needs to be said.

Andrew
I don't have prejudices against Lycra. I find it offensive that this continues to said despite my clear comments to the contrary. It reflects poorly on those who insist upon it.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:00 pm

il padrone wrote:
newie wrote:Sure, I do not *need* to wear lycra when I am doing my short commute (10 km each way) but it is more comfortable than anything else I own.
I don't wear lycra on my 10km commute. Essentially forced on me by the lack of any facilities, but now that I'm doing it, and have been for over seven years now, I think I wouldn't do the change routine even if I had facilities. For this distance I save time by wearing work clothes (I do change the shoes... and do a wipe down/sparrow bath). I have chosen clothing that is bike-wearable and suitable for my workplace. I personally find it quite comfortable.
newie wrote:Are you proposing that I should be choosing a slightly less comfortable option in order to encourage non-cyclists to take up cycling? If not that, then what? What do you want people to do differently to change this so-called lycra culture that you believe is proving to be a barrier to people cycling?
Do what suits you. But consider other options. Suggest to non-cycling friends that they could ride the bike to the shops, pub, station or friends places for short (<5kms) trips and point out that they don't need to wear lycra.

Ride your own bike for shorter trips and skip the specific cycle-clothing. You may be surprised how easy and convenient it is.
I really think what you are doing here is great.

It also alludes to the point that I'd you just take it a lite easy then you don't get sweaty. The extra time taken is compensated for by the savings in not requiring a shower.

However, with the heat that we have been having in bne of late I doubt I could ride anywhere without getting ridiculously sweaty. I know this ... Because just sitting doing nothing I'm sweating. :o

Let me alsoake the point that I'd end up sweaty walking to work from the bus! So... By lycring up and showering at work I'm actually fresher than most...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:10 pm

Comedian wrote:It also alludes to the point that I'd you just take it a lite easy then you don't get sweaty. The extra time taken is compensated for by the savings in not requiring a shower.

However, with the heat that we have been having in bne of late I doubt I could ride anywhere without getting ridiculously sweaty. I know this ... Because just sitting doing nothing I'm sweating. :o
I will readily admit that things are a lot easier in Melbourne than in summer Brisbane. I also have a job where the dress-code is casual enough that I can wear cooler clothing for the summer commute. Also I'm off on leave now for the January hot days. :wink:

I've always said it's horses for courses - do what most suits your own circumstances.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:19 pm

Marx wrote:?.my older knicks still have a good chamois even though the lycra has gone stretchy-see-through.
I discovered last week that one of my pairs of knicks has become stretchy see-through. But my husband who was riding with me didn't tell me til I got home so I wouldn't be embarrassed. :oops:

So apologies to anyone riding the Riverloop last Thursday morning...

Back on topic, while I am aware Lycra isn't the most flattering, it is certainly the most comfortable in Brisbane's climate and when you are a sweater.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:22 pm

human909 wrote: I don't have prejudices against Lycra. I find it offensive that this continues to said despite my clear comments to the contrary. It reflects poorly on those who insist upon it.
there there precious
FPR Ragamuffin

hannos

Postby hannos » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:26 pm

Venus62 wrote:
I discovered last week that one of my pairs of knicks has become stretchy see-through. But my husband who was riding with me didn't tell me til I got home so I wouldn't be embarrassed. :oops:

ulterior motive on your husband's part perhaps?
:D
2010 BMC SLC01

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:28 pm

hannos wrote:
Venus62 wrote:

ulterior motive on your husband's part perhaps?
:D
It did cross my mind although he swears he had good intentions... :?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:39 pm

Chuck wrote:there there precious
"Play the ball, not the man"
Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:45 pm

I need to profusely appologise to my tribe of lycra wearing cyclists. I feel that I have let the team down today. Whilst I did wear lycra to ride the 45 km into a 60 km/h headwind, I came across more cyclists (~16) wearing non-lycra clothing than I did lycra (~10). I feel that I have failed in my role as a MAMIL to discourage those "bike riders" from riding their bikes. I promise to try harder.

More so since I saw a guy riding his BSO in jeans and t-shirt this morning. Sure it was not that hot, around 25 C but the wind was making life hard, the humidity wasn't nice and the rain was coming. That one was a real failure on my part.

Regards
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:45 pm

il padrone wrote:
Settle down and please make sure you have a have a good handle on the particularly conversation before jumping in like that. Your comment is way out of line as was the initial comment which deliberately it seems misconstrued what was said, to criticise others.

Time to play nice don't you think?

Cheers
Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:53 pm

Aushiker wrote:
il padrone wrote:
Settle down...

...Your comment is way out of line
:shock: :shock: :|
Mandatory helmet law?

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:53 pm

Aushiker wrote:I need to profusely appologise to my tribe of lycra wearing cyclists. I feel that I have let the team down today. Whilst I did wear lycra to ride the 45 km into a 60 km/h headwind, I came across more cyclists (~16) wearing non-lycra clothing than I did lycra (~10). I feel that I have failed in my role as a MAMIL to discourage those "bike riders" from riding their bikes. I promise to try harder.

More so since I saw a guy riding his BSO in jeans and t-shirt this morning. Sure it was not that hot, around 25 C but the wind was making life hard, the humidity wasn't nice and the rain was coming. That one was a real failure on my part.

Regards
Andrew
I only hope you saw fit to look down your nose at them as you rode past...?

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:59 pm

Aushiker wrote:I need to profusely appologise to my tribe of lycra wearing cyclists. I feel that I have let the team down today. Whilst I did wear lycra to ride the 45 km into a 60 km/h headwind, I came across more cyclists (~16) wearing non-lycra clothing than I did lycra (~10). I feel that I have failed in my role as a MAMIL to discourage those "bike riders" from riding their bikes. I promise to try harder.

Regards
Andrew
I know what direction you rode this morning:) Hope it doesn't swing southerly for your ride home.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:02 pm

il padrone wrote: :shock: :shock: :|
Come on Pete... at least quote me in context ... seriously poor form to take me or anyone out out of context like that to take a cheap shot.

Cheers
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:03 pm

simonn wrote:I only hope you saw fit to look down your nose at them as you rode past...?
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: I need to work on that skill me thinks :)

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:03 pm

Aushiker wrote: I saw a guy riding his BSO in jeans and t-shirt this morning.
I would commend this guy for getting out and riding, on what I believe was a bicycle.
Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:04 pm

Marty Moose wrote:I know what direction you rode this morning:) Hope it doesn't swing southerly for your ride home.
Forecast is for a southerly but around 30 to 40 km/h :cry: Can't win at the moment.

Did you ride this morning?

Andrew

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:06 pm

Venus62 wrote:
Marx wrote:?.my older knicks still have a good chamois even though the lycra has gone stretchy-see-through.

So apologies to anyone riding the Riverloop last Thursday morning...

Back on topic, while I am aware Lycra isn't the most flattering, it is certainly the most comfortable in Brisbane's climate and when you are a sweater.
Perhaps he had other reasons for not mentioning it! :twisted: I hope mine never get to that point, :shock:

Nice also to steer the conversation into a more light-hearted direction. :)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:09 pm

il padrone wrote:
Aushiker wrote: I saw a guy riding his BSO in jeans and t-shirt this morning.
I would commend this guy for getting out and riding, on what I believe was a bicycle.
Actually what I said was ...

which was in the broader context of this statement ...

I need to profusely appologise to my tribe of lycra wearing cyclists. I feel that I have let the team down today. Whilst I did wear lycra to ride the 45 km into a 60 km/h headwind, I came across more cyclists (~16) wearing non-lycra clothing than I did lycra (~10). I feel that I have failed in my role as a MAMIL to discourage those "bike riders" from riding their bikes. I promise to try harder.

Funny how something reads quite differently when it is taken in context; well at least simonn and marty got it anyway.

Andrew

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:13 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Marty Moose wrote:I know what direction you rode this morning:) Hope it doesn't swing southerly for your ride home.
Forecast is for a southerly but around 30 to 40 km/h :cry: Can't win at the moment.

Did you ride this morning?

Andrew
No had a rest been doing to much ATM. I'm on holidays and am exhausted from getting up at around 4.30 to beat the heat. I'm glad I missed the wind mind you it would have been nice to get some strava segments as I would have been in lycra :)

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Aushiker wrote:Funny how something reads quite differently when it is taken in context; well at least simonn and marty got it anyway.
I certainly got the humour. The mockery of posters on here who express an opinion just galls me however. On top of that I don't see "BSO"s. I see people riding bicycles - otherwise called cyclists.

:|
Mandatory helmet law?